• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Book recommendations

monkeybrains

I'm looking at getting some books to flick through and wondering if anyone has any recommendations on good (still in print) ones to get. 'The beauty of the burst' is one I have, is there something with str
ats and teles in that has loads of great pics. Also is there anything with older les Paul's and other gibsons along the same lines. I love the old goldtops and customs too.
Thanks

Tim

Gold Supporting Member
Not necessarily still in print, but the pop up occasionally…..

For Teles the Blackguard Book

And… if you like Beauty of the Burst, you might also enjoy the Burst Believers set I-IV

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Not necessarily still in print, but the pop up occasionally…..

For Teles the Blackguard Book

And… if you like Beauty of the Burst, you might also enjoy the Burst Believers set I-IV

I'd love to find a copy of The Blackguard Book at a reasonable price... The last one I saw on Reverb was $300.

As far as Fender coffee table books go, with lots of good pics, I like these:

Last edited:
Maybe this is close to what you're asking ? It's been through a few editions but when it came out it was my favorite book

I was a fan of the authors band THE CHESTERFIELD KINGS tooo

Only time I saw a Rickenbacker light show guitar

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mixed feelings about those gear books. I've heard a lot of inaccuracies and I find them a big messy. I have the Rolling Stones book by the same author.

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
In chapter 3 of Really the Blues by Mezz Mezzrow, Bernard Wolfe.

Entertaining and full of early Twentieth Century hep cat slang. Sending me to YooToob quite a bit to hear the tunes referenced.

“Sending the Vipers” Mezz and Sidney Bechet a fav.

monkeybrains

I'd love to find a copy of The Blackguard Book at a reasonable price... The last one I saw on Reverb was $300.

As far as Fender coffee table books go, with lots of good pics, I like these:

Thanks man, that first one looks like exactly what I'm after. Ordered it

Laurent Brondel

Silver Supporting Member
The Blackguard book is pretty cool, I wish there was one as detailed for Strats, even for a limited era.
Tom Wheeler’s books are good, at least the pics are.
André Duchossoir books are good, even though pretty old now.
Keep in mind they all have a few inaccuracies and mistakes, so does the excellent guitarhq website. It is unavoidable.
There are a lot of Japanese books with excellent photography, alas not translated in English.

Highnumbers

Silver Supporting Member
I have a rather large collection of guitar books, including most of those listed already (except the Wandre book, which looks amazing!).

The key takeaway is that I find it much more enjoyable to read a single-subject book that picks a specific brand (or even model) and dives deep into that one subject, versus general "gear" books that try to cover too much and don't provide much detail.

If you like Gibson Les Paul models (especially if you are interested in more than just Bursts), I highly suggest this book:

For Fender, you can't do better than "Fender: the Golden Age" by Martin Kelly, Paul Kelly and Terry Foster. Fabulous quality. Only $21 new

If you have access to the Marty Stuart Show, I can see it on the farm and ranch channel RFD, the Roger McGuinn episide features Roger playing one.

I should have known, UToob.

Seen those clips on youtube ..awesome stufff . I meant in person ,the Chesterfield Kings show. The lead guitarist also appeared to be having issues with it so it wasn't the whole show

Reactions: aiq

HondoGuy

Anyone know where to get a reasonably priced copy of The Beauty Of The Burst? $70 for a paperback is too crazy.

Top Bottom