Book/Training material for beginers?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by syxxstring, Feb 10, 2008.

1. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

I have an 11 year old niece who is begging for a guitar. So I'm setting up my old Fender Gemini for her and sending it out, with the agreement that I will custom build/paint a guitar for her if she learns to play this one. She's such a little suck up I'd probably build her a dozen.
    Problem is her parents can't really pay for lessons. She's south of Chicago, well really south of Joliet, alright south of Morris. That's the other problem even if I coughed up for lessons Mazon is so far out there.
    So I'm looking for a good tool her dad can work with her on. He has played keys and some woodwinds so can probably help her quite a bit. I'm open to websites, video series and books. Any suggestions or success stories?

2. amigo30

amigo30 Member

Try "Fender - Getting Started on Electric Guitar" and "Greg Douglass Lead Guitar". Both are DVD's. Spend an hour with her showing her how to read tab, use a tuner, and change a string, and she should be off and running.

Good luck!

3. countandduke

countandduke Member

11 is right at that cut off age for me as a teacher. Just about that time they are finally developing fine motor skills (give or take a year or so and yes there are exceptions).

My son started at 11 and is CRAZY good now. What kind of music does she listen to? It's always easier to get them started on guitar if they are listening to guitar music. Zeppelin and Hendrix in my sons case.

There are very good dvd's out there and most every beginner book starts talking about chords and all that.

I LOVE Mel Bay for books www.melbay.com

Good luck.

Chris

4. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

She listens too a fairly wide mix of music some alt stuff, modern country. Mostly stuff her friends, sister or parents have gotten her into.
    As her uncle I feel obligated to turn her on to good music, but don't think my brother's gonna appreciate Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Maybe we'll start at Californication.

5. sqadan

sqadan Member

My son started at 12... i know what you mean about the motor skills etc... Funny - he is also really into Zep and Hendrix... I'm not a huge fan of either, but kids develop their own tastes if you let em explore what's out there!

Another important thing to work on with kids is ear training, intervals etc...