Booking quandry

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Gasp100, Feb 23, 2015.

  1. Gasp100

    Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    16,704
    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2007
    Location:
    North Myrtle Beach, SC
    Spot A is a great room, we have killed there recently and have been firing on all cylinders. Spot B booked us for 3 dates and canceled the first one on us causing me to scramble. They say we are "all good" for the next two dates. But, the place is just "ok" - we will do great, same pay, closer to home but no way will we get the same built in crowd that goes nuts for us...
    Spot A is asking for an April date and I'm booked unless I reschedule the second date with Spot B...
    What would you do?
     
  2. Floyd Eye

    Floyd Eye Member

    Messages:
    12,645
    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2011
    Location:
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Call spot B and try to tactfully reschedule. Otherwise play the gig you agreed to play.
     
  3. MoPho

    MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    5,023
    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    DFWTX
    Rule #1: Keep commitments.
    Rule #2: Repeat Rule #1.
     
  4. tiktok

    tiktok Supporting Member

    Messages:
    19,712
    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle
    Well, there are times when the best move is to screw some one in favor of a better option.

    Spot B has been faced with that decision at least once, and decided it was your turn to get the short end of the stick.

    Now you're in the position of deciding if you have more to gain by breaking your commitment to the "second" date then by sticking to it. Anything could happen--you could turn down the date with Spot A to honor your agreement with Spot B, and miss out on Wilson Pickett sitting in at Spot A. Or, Spot B could close down before you play there again. Or, anything else.
     
  5. Yer Blues

    Yer Blues Member

    Messages:
    6,797
    Joined:
    May 26, 2013
    I would have tried to get a makeup date with spot b for the canceled date so you'd still have 3 dates there. Things happen and, IMO, one cancellation date is not a huge deal. Canceling 2x would have me thinking of booking somewhere else depending on the reasons. 3x or more and it's a clear sign to me the venue is clueless that bands book ahead of time and it's time to move on and only play that venue when it is convenient for the band.

    I would not cancel with spot b (2 gigs on the books now) for one gig with spot a unless you are willing to give up playing at spot b. Easiest solution is to just tell spot a "we are already booked that date" and try to work something out. There are some places harder to get in to than others, but come on.... it's unlikely their calendar is completely filled every date for the next 4-5 months.
     
  6. Jon Silberman

    Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

    Messages:
    36,607
    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2002
    Location:
    Northern VA
    Do I understand this correctly? Spot B cancelled on you when it suited them but you're unsure whether you can/should cancel on them when it suits you?
     
  7. loudboy

    loudboy Member

    Messages:
    27,418
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2003
    Location:
    Sedona, AZ
    It depends on who's holding the cards - in this case, it's Bar B.

    They've got 8 gigs per month to book - OP and 200 other bands want those gigs.

    If Bar B gets wind of him cancelling to play a "better" gig, he's thru there, and at every other bar the owner of Bar B knows.
     
  8. stratplayer17

    stratplayer17 Member

    Messages:
    197
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Location:
    Delco, PA
    Deal squarely. Tell A that you'love working for them but are committed for that date. Learn something about A in its response. Hopefully A says no problem and works with you to set another date, and you confirm that A is a stand up operation (and they get evidence that YOU run a stand up outfit). If A pushes you to stiff one of your clients for their benefit, youve learned that A is like B, they just haven't stuck it to you yet.
     
  9. stratplayer17

    stratplayer17 Member

    Messages:
    197
    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Location:
    Delco, PA
    Unless of course things with B are fluid enough that you can ask for a solid (which assumes that A doesnt compete with B).
     
  10. Seegs

    Seegs Member

    Messages:
    10,074
    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2004
    Location:
    Germany
    Try to reschedule B...
     
  11. Gasp100

    Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    16,704
    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2007
    Location:
    North Myrtle Beach, SC
    Thanks guys, good advice. I have not canceled spot B. Although he did cancel us out of the blue with just a text, he has committed to the 2 other dates. He also usually books 3 gigs at a time (one per month) but I know he stops bands for summer (May thru Aug is DJ only).
    I have been in contact with Spot A and there is another option... I have an acoustic show at Spot C <LOL> and they are more "liquid" in their scheduling so it's possible I can work with them to reschedule the acoustic show to make room for Spot A.
    At this point full band (especially in a great room, more money, gig for complete band, no 1099) trumps acoustic duo.
    There is definitely no direct competition between any of the room (A, B or C) and I have a decent enough rapport with Spot C <acoustic> that I should be able to work something out.
     
  12. RCM78

    RCM78 Member

    Messages:
    4,863
    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2003
    Location:
    Jersey
    Getting cancelled happens. If the place wants to make it right they will reschedule you on the spot, if they make it a habit I forget about the venue.

    Spot A sounds like a good situation. Telling them your booked, or not available makes you look like your in demand. Not a bad thing!!! Use the perceived demand to book more dates well in advance.
     
  13. Gasp100

    Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    16,704
    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2007
    Location:
    North Myrtle Beach, SC
    Yes, it's time to get TWO confirmed dates at a time. Having the same panic attack (about hustling for good gigs) every couple of months is taking it's toll.
     
  14. georgestrings

    georgestrings Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,510
    Joined:
    May 21, 2012
    That's how I've approached such a situation in the past, also...


    - georgestrings
     
  15. Guitar Josh

    Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    18,687
    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2007
    Location:
    TGP, Always TGP
    The above rules only seem to apply to bands and not the places that book them.

    To the OP - find another band for Bar B and play Bar A.
     
  16. musicman1

    musicman1 Member

    Messages:
    2,379
    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location:
    NJ
    Not matter how "great" a place is, never forget they will sell you out over the next guy that comes in $10.00 cheaper or get in 5 more patrons than you do and will look for any excuse to be rid of you after a while. Ive found you need places A B C D E F G etc and must keep on going for new all the time to avoid being left out in the cold. Its a never ending battle and there's no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Its gig survival. Places close down after giving you dates and then what? You must always keep looking and searching out places. If the money is the same who cares which one you do if the future of gigs there is uncertain? Honor your commitments and hopefully it works out. In the end all of these places are really the same. Its an endless progression...
     
  17. DrumBob

    DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

    Messages:
    13,123
    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    Location:
    NW NJ
    We played a neighborhood bar about two years ago; two gigs sparsely attended, partly because our crowd wouldn't go there. Her crowd, local yokels, liked us well enough. It was a bit of a divey joint in Bloomingdale, NJ. The owner booked us for three more gigs and cancelled each one, and the second time was two days before the gig. After the third cancellation, I told to her in no uncertain terms to fu** off, that she was a two-bit amateur who had no place booking bands. That was that.

    My point is, I would play the place you get a great response and not the place that cancelled you. If they cancelled you once, they're apt to do it again.
     

Share This Page