Bookmark this site immediately

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Joe, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Interesting but I'm not sure I agree with what it comes up with for certain chord types. Additionally, you really cannot map the chord to a scale in a 1 to 1 manner. That's the problem with many of these generator type problems. The chord/scale is really a function of how the chord is being used. For example, a C7#5 by itself my suggest a C whole tone scale but if the next chord is Dbmaj7, the best choice might be Db melodic minor or even Db diminished (though it has a natural 13 against the C7#5).

Additionally, there were compound chords missing. For example, C7#5 is very functionally different than C7#5#9.

3. Boogs

Boogs Member

:cool:

i can use this for getting my modes down from the looks of it - thanks!

4. Joe

Joe Senior Member

People using chord generators are studying in the 101 to 202 range, you are are talking in Masters and Doctorate terms. Anyone who can chord spell perfectly and can rattle of key signatures by ear etc....are not using chord generators. Chord and scale generators are great for people entering theory or for those who are not fully aware of their instruments yet. I feel this is a great teaching tool for 98% of all guitarists, Steve Vai and Joe Pass can probably skip it. :D

5. jzucker

I disagree Joe. I wonder what percentage of folks using that tool go on to actually understand theory? The theory I speak of is no more difficult than learning the standard 1-12 multiplication table. Folks seem to make it more difficult than it really is and are afraid to just learn the actual theory. Once you understand the theory of chords and scales, there's little use for a tool such as that.

As an example, my son has been learning theory for 2 months and can already formulate his own scales and chords rather than consult an online tool. If you want a reference for chords, the Ted Greene books are wonderful references.

My problem with the tool that was linked to here is that it is inaccurate and incomplete. It's like someone forgetting a column in the multiplication table and then having the wrong answers for some of the entries...

6. Joe

Joe Senior Member

And that is why most math students do not get a 100 on each test. I understand theory and the modes and how they relate to one another, but I intend on using it for teaching certain things.

7. jzucker

But they do for the multiplication table. We're not talking calculus here. Folks usually make the leap that music theory is like advanced calculus. It's not. It's more like learning the ABCs or how to multiple 6x9.

8. Joe

Joe Senior Member

I thought D came after C, not s. :p

Music is complicated because of the flats and sharps, if you called the notes 1~12 it would be much easier to grasp. The antiqued system will always win though, just like our stupid imperial measuring system.

If we replaced A with "1" it would be very easy to see your fretboard, learn that a major chord is ....just simple math.

Learning theory is similar to learning a new language, reduced to the easiest way that would be internationally recognized would be with numbers. Flats and sharps make sense on a piano because of the different looking keys, on a guitar it just causes confusion. Why the entire world is based on a piano standard is beyond me, the piano is one instrument, let THEM get use to the standard of all the other instruments like guitar, horns, etc... suing the numerical system!

9. jzucker

Well,

I continue to contend that theory is simple. It's fear of the unknown which is the real culprit.

10. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

that has a fretboard on screen and lets you put dots (or click) where the fingers are, then you click and it tells you what chord it is? Have searched a couple dozen sites and various tools, but haven't found one that does this.

11. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

When I'm fretting an A#maj 7th with a diminished 21st at the 9th fret,capoed at the 3rd and tuned GADBAD,using an ebow thru a Leslie,I find a almost 1/8th tendency to variagate the compatible frequencies.Bummer.

12. RandyO

RandyO Member

Enter the site, drag and drop the notes. More notes will appear if needed. Strum if you want to hear the chord and move up and down the fretboard with the arrows at the upper left. Use the guitar menu to select the "name chords" mode, then hit "find chord.". Lots more too...enjoy.
    Always happy to help. :D

http://www.chordbook.com/index.php

13. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Cool link! Thanks!!!:D

14. tedm

Thanks Randy,
    I found some good chords there. A couple didn't come up from the database, these 2:

000560 which I think is a Dmsus?

and x88760 which is like a Bb maj without the root

Also, is there a way to change the default tuning from EADGBE to like double dropped D DADGBD?

Thanks!!

15. RandyO

RandyO Member

For your 000560: X out (mute) the two E strings at the nut. The chord is F6.

For your X88760: Without the E strings, it's F-Bb-D-F...a Bb chord.

Yes, you can do alternate tunings. There are some samples listed by clicking "guitar tuner" at the top of the page. Find the menu, go to "help" and read the directions. The menu page is also the access to the "guitar tuner" for the virtual guitar. Raise and lower the pitch by clicking the tuning keys up or down. You'll get it...explore the site.

16. tedm

Thanks Randy!!

17. RobertMiller

RobertMiller Member

Chord generators can be useful, but I've got to agree with JAZ on this one. The best initial approach, IMO, is to learn all the notes on the fretboard. Then learn how to spell all the M7chords (ex CM7 - CEGB are the 1,3,5,and M7 respectively). Then just find the notes as they relate to the most common voicings. It's then just a matter of sliding your fingers one way or the other to "generate" new chords. Flat the three for a minor. Flat the seven for a dom7. With just a little work, it's a piece of cake. The advanced chords/extensions can come later, but if you know how to spell, so to speak, you don't have to be intimidated by chords at all.

When you start experimenting with different note placements/voicings, you will find that a lot of shapes are interrelated, and this is where the pay off is. Because the shapes will make sense. If you learn shapes without a little (gasp) theory, it will never make sense.

18. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

im desperately looking for a scale generator i saw linked online at a forum over a month ago.

it was a lot like guitar power in its layout but

it also let you pick which string you wanted to start the scale on along with which position

anyone this is driving me crazier.

19. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

ok the ware i like actually is guitar power. i'll end up buying it if the disk i bought a while ago doesnt cover what it does. i like how it shows you how to play the A ionian in any position et al. has triads, arpegios yadda yadda. bebop modes too yay

http://www.janasoftware.com/gp.php