Books for theory?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by METAL, May 10, 2015.

1. METAL

METAL Member

Does anyone know of any good books that teach musical theory and that actually apply what is taught on the guitar? I want something that teaches pretty much everything, from reading music, to scales, chords, arpeggios, everything.

2. SecondFloorTones

SecondFloorTones Member

I'm sorry, but this is an impossible question to answer. I addition, you'd never be able to cover that range of stuff if such a book did exist, which I'm pretty sure it does not. I think you'll need to limit the stuff you're working on if you're going to get something out of it. Remember, it's not enough to read about this stuff, you have to work it into your playing as well, and that takes time. If I were in your shoes i'd start with harmony/chords - get a grip on how chords are constructed, as the arpeggios follow from that (arpeggios are chords played melodically, i.e. one note after another instead of at the same time). Scales also intertwine with this. As for specific titles, I can't help you, but I'm sure you'll get some very good suggestions from other posters.

3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Google 'guitar music theory'.

4. stevel

stevel Member

5. JonR

JonR Member