Books for with Exercises for Accuracy & Technique

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by bikeracr, Apr 30, 2016.

1. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

I'm trying to find a book that has good exercises for warm-up, accuracy, & technique. I do not have a lot of time to practice, especially during the week, but am trying to find some exercises I can pick up at the end of the day to help keep my skills sharp.

I don't necessarily need to learn anything new, although always open to it, but just need something to keep me going. Although not necessary, a bonus would be if it were in standard music notation to help improve my sight reading skills.

Any recommendations?

2. Magic-Sam

Magic-Sam Member

Accelerate Your Guitar Playing by Tomo Fujita
    DVD plus booklet with a lot of exercises. For some reason the link won't post. But worth the price.

3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Guitar Lore by Dennis Sandole is a straight up technique book.
    The Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method has plenty of technique challenges but in the context of performing music. For sight-reading purposes I think this would be a better choice than a mere technique book.
    The Berklee Modern Guitar Method has multiple technical challenges in a musical context.
    This a great video about a challenging musical warm-up: https://www.mymusicmasterclass.com/premiumvideos/adam-rogers-guitar-masterclass-technical-studies-1/

4. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Page one of the book I would recommend would say

'get a metronome'.

It is one of the very best chops builder in the known universe.

A great study for the whole practice routine is a book by the great Howard Roberts called Superchops. It's hard because you come up against yourself and tear down walls and barriers.

Our good bud and all around guitar bad a$$, Lucidology, started an extremely cool thread based on this book. It falls back a dozen pages here on tgp p&t, but it's there. And dozens of people will get that thread going again, maybe you will start that.
    It's been like a support group for the study, or it should be,, more active.

It's by far not the only great source, but it is the one I chose to talk about.

And your metronome is your #1 coach.

And in a couple years of ass kicking hard work, whoever you are as a musician just might pop out and sing a song

5. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

Thanks for the recommendations, I will check them out.

I have Superchops and have done it partly. I don't have the time to commit to it fully (1 hr/day every day) because of real life (kids, demanding career, etc.). I merely need some good musical exercises to keep what I have. Thx.

Last edited: May 1, 2016