Bookshelf Speaker Recommendations?

CrackTheSkye

I just received a new Audio Technica turntable for Father's Day but I don't have any speakers to go with it. Can you recommend me some good bookshelf speakers?

Prefer speakers to be powered/active as to avoid a separate power amp. Also I'm not looking for super expensive, and would like to keep it under $100/pair if possible.

I have a receiver/power amp from my old Pioneer stereo system I could use if absolutely necessary but would like to avoid it.

Turntable is a AT-LP60
Budget < $100
Go!

Tahitijack

Use your amp and add passive speakers. I have Yamaha outdoor speakers from Costco in my backyard. At $100/pair they sound amazing. They have been out there 5 years and I don't know the model number, but probably out of production. I do know they are two way with an 8 inch "bass" speaker.

Last edited:
You're going to need a phono preamp if you want to use powered speakers. I'd say use your old Pioneer and find a decent set of regular bookshelf speakers. Not sure what kind of quality you'll get for under $100 though...

CrackTheSkye

You're going to need a phono preamp if you want to use powered speakers. I'd say use your old Pioneer and find a decent set of regular bookshelf speakers. Not sure what kind of quality you'll get for under $100 though...
Actually the turntable has a built in preamp so that's not needed. Just need powered speakers. Thanks for the input. I may just hold onto the pioneer if I can't find a good deal.

Thanks to others for suggestions.

standard24

Klipsch makes a set of very powerful computer speakers with sub that sell new for about $120. I have a set, and they sound really good.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I found some M-Audio AV40s really cheap at GuitarCenter.com used listing. With shipping under $50. Lots of input options.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
I found some AV40's for $75 and is what my mind was set on but then I started reading mixed reviews and had second thoughts.

The ones I've seen aren't quite reasonably priced.
Sorry, man. I didn't see the under $100/pr disclaimer. You shouldn't skimp on the speakers, the most crucial component.

I purchased my Paradigm bookshelf pair about 20 yrs ago for about $200. They have comparably priced speakers today. Check out the Atom monitors.

Stu Cats

Powered? Audioengine used (about $120)
Passive? Used Paradigm, Boston Acoustics, JBL, or PSB

Trending Topics