• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Bookshelf Speaker Recommendations?

CrackTheSkye

I just received a new Audio Technica turntable for Father's Day but I don't have any speakers to go with it. Can you recommend me some good bookshelf speakers?

Prefer speakers to be powered/active as to avoid a separate power amp. Also I'm not looking for super expensive, and would like to keep it under $100/pair if possible.

I have a receiver/power amp from my old Pioneer stereo system I could use if absolutely necessary but would like to avoid it.

Turntable is a AT-LP60
Budget < $100
Go!

Tahitijack

Use your amp and add passive speakers. I have Yamaha outdoor speakers from Costco in my backyard. At $100/pair they sound amazing. They have been out there 5 years and I don't know the model number, but probably out of production. I do know they are two way with an 8 inch "bass" speaker.

Last edited:
You're going to need a phono preamp if you want to use powered speakers. I'd say use your old Pioneer and find a decent set of regular bookshelf speakers. Not sure what kind of quality you'll get for under $100 though...

CrackTheSkye

You're going to need a phono preamp if you want to use powered speakers. I'd say use your old Pioneer and find a decent set of regular bookshelf speakers. Not sure what kind of quality you'll get for under $100 though...
Actually the turntable has a built in preamp so that's not needed. Just need powered speakers. Thanks for the input. I may just hold onto the pioneer if I can't find a good deal.

Thanks to others for suggestions.

standard24

Klipsch makes a set of very powerful computer speakers with sub that sell new for about $120. I have a set, and they sound really good.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I found some M-Audio AV40s really cheap at GuitarCenter.com used listing. With shipping under $50. Lots of input options.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
I found some AV40's for $75 and is what my mind was set on but then I started reading mixed reviews and had second thoughts.

The ones I've seen aren't quite reasonably priced.
Sorry, man. I didn't see the under $100/pr disclaimer. You shouldn't skimp on the speakers, the most crucial component.

I purchased my Paradigm bookshelf pair about 20 yrs ago for about $200. They have comparably priced speakers today. Check out the Atom monitors.

Stu Cats

Powered? Audioengine used (about $120)
Passive? Used Paradigm, Boston Acoustics, JBL, or PSB