Boom - Fractal Audio drops the FASPICE update for DRIVEs in the AXEFX III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by fretworn, Feb 20, 2019.

1. fretworn

fretworn Member

Beta:

www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/3p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_3p02_beta.zip

Newly reworked drive models utilizing SPICE engineering concepts to improve the drives in the AXEFXIII.

Improved Drive block. WARNING!!! The sound of some of the drive models may have changed significantly.

· Drive models based on op-amp and diode clipping topologies have been completely overhauled.

· For many types there is now a “Dry Gain” control. This parameter controls the amount of “dry” signal mixed with the “wet” (distorted) signal. For a Tube Screamer-based model this will default to 100% due to the topology. For other types this will default to 0. Values up to 200% are allowed. Note that the dry data is added before any tone controls and therefore is not exactly equivalent to a mix but rather replicates the behavior of analog circuits.

· Drive types based on op-amp and diode clipping circuits now allow control over the type and quantity of diodes in the positive and negative polarity. For example, the user can select (2) 1N34A diodes for positive signal polarity and (1) red LED for negative. Experiment with the various diode types and quantities to obtain new and unique sounds.

· The Basic GUI page now reflects only the controls found on the actual pedal. In cases where the actual pedal does not have any tone controls a simple Tone control is included for convenience.

Added “All” to Tuner Input Source selection. This sums all inputs.

Fixed Tone Match block not updating correctly between preset changes if different Mode used.

2. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

The diode selection feature is an incredible tool. @cliffc8488 knocking it right out of the park again!

FractalMB, Madmax25 and X-Mann like this.
  3. 108

108 Member

That wet/dry control for all drives sounds awesome! How can something be 200% if it’s a blend though?

4. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

I'm super excited for the Axe-Edit update so I can really get my hands dirty with this.

FractalMB and veritechc like this.
  5. fretworn

fretworn Member

More incredible updates from Fractal Audio on their monster powerhouse pre-amp and fx processor. Kickbutt!

FractalMB likes this.
  6. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

What now? The drive update just came out yesterday and there’s another one today? Man that’s some major dedication right there!!

7. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Really interesting! I'm one who found the drive effects to be underwhelming in the Fractal. I wonder if this will trickle down to the AX8 at all?

guitarobert and Toowoombaus like this.
  8. josetxu

josetxu Member

Me too

Toowoombaus likes this.
  9. fretworn

fretworn Member

Drives are killer; more added, many refined ... unbeatable!

FractalMB likes this.
  10. fretworn

fretworn Member

Yup; constant improvement - ya’ll know how Cliff/FAS roll - fast and awesome. Multiple betas with the production final just dropping!

Lots of goodness to love!

Oh, and for those who want simplified/basic controls “just like real life amp” ... they’re there too now as an option for the amp block. No more “it’s too complex” arguments.

FractalMB likes this.
  11. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Now I just need an Axe Fx 3 to actually become available somewhere. :D

12. Yek

Yek Member

There's always been a Mix control.

But the new Dry Level control (separate from Mix) lets you determine how much dry signal will "leak" through the virtual diodes. 200% means that you can make it two times as much as the measured amount in that virtual diode.

FractalMB likes this.
  13. bkb1984

bkb1984 Supporting Member

The King of Tone and Jan Ray are fan freakin tastic!

FractalMB likes this.
  14. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

The amount of regular updates and improvements are incredible. I've got to get a III later this year. It just has to be done.

JerEvil and FractalMB like this.
  15. valdiorn

valdiorn Member

This is an incredibly impressive feature. I've looked into real-time spice emulations before and there hasn't really been a robust system available. The fact that fractal have built one in house is nothing short of crazy. Incredible engineering going on and they have my deepest respect for pushing the boundaries of what is considered possible. I might have to upgrade from my Axe II now :)

The clean mix feature is also really cool, it's something I often add onto my DIY hardware pedals. Glad to see I could now replicate that on the Fractal.

FractalMB and Gasp100 like this.
  16. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Cliff had this to say about the real-time simulation with respect to drives:

It normally takes a lot of CPU power to do a real-time simulation. The amp block uses an entire dedicated DSP. To do even a simple distortion pedal would normally require huge amounts of CPU. But I stumbled upon a simple trick that reduces it dramatically.

This algorithm applies to a particular set of circuits that incorporate diodes as a nonlinear component. SPICE modeling is particularly slow when modeling diodes due to convergence issues. However the diodes in drive pedals are used in such a way that there's a trick that can be employed to dramatically decrease the amount of CPU needed to simulate the circuit.

valdiorn and FractalMB like this.
  17. gtr37

gtr37 Member

The drives sound awesome now
    They really are pushing the quality across board
    The fact that in March they are shooting some far field irs to try some ideas Cliff has is super cool
    Imagine if you could blend the close micd and far field
    To get the pefect balence if amp in the room

FractalMB and Tri Pedal Reviews like this.
  18. ak301

ak301 Member

Already asked about this a while ago and it won't

19. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Ya, all these updates makes the older stuff kind of obsolete now. Better sounding amps, better drives, possible better sounding cabs. Love digital but this is the part that bites, always something new coming out that's bigger and better.

Elric and Madmax25 like this.
  20. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Dude, it's the same way with tube amps and pedals. At least with this, if something new IS created, a lot of the time we get it as an update.

If a better fuzz pedal comes out? 200+ dollars. If a superior JTM-45 clone comes out? 2000+ dollars.

Nothing about digital is worse in that regard, really.

Hell, if an amp builder comes out with some changes to an amp you already bought from them, a vast majority of the time you are paying for shipping and an upgrade fee of, at least a couple hundred bucks.