Boom - Fractal Audio drops the FASPICE update for DRIVEs in the AXEFX III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by fretworn, Feb 20, 2019.

1. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Well, not with any sort of objectively verifiable data anyway, and I don't think that's what he was suggesting either, as you pointed out. When I think about the sonic improvements to the modeling in the III vs. the II, I'm not thinking in terms of empirically quantifiable measurements.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  2. fretworn

fretworn Member

Guys, pls stay on topic or start a separate thread of your own.

This one is about the huge upgrade in ODs in the FAS AxeFx3.

FAS used their proprietary version of SPICE to replicate the exact circuits of major drive topologies and related distortion characteristics.

Uses less CPU while providing a substantial improvement to the drives, with some great additions.’

Amazing work by FAS!

FractalMB likes this.
  3. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Yes, the drives are definitely improved. I’m curious to give them a try in 4-Cable Method with my amp. Has anyone tried them that way yet?

4. Elric

Elric Member

Yep... FWIW, having a II and a III and still knocking them both around regularly, I can honestly say that at the current stopping point, the II rig sounds as good or better than a lot of tube rigs I've run and as such, does not *need* a successor for most/many users.

Those tones will be killer forever: they won't decay... just like a vintage Marshall won't suddenly not sound great because Marshall builds some new amp or some Boutique company clones and enhances the design or what have you...

However the only way, as an OCD gear-aholic I can comfortably say that and still sleep at night, is because I have a III, also. :rotflmao

And yes, FAS is killing it with the III just like they did the standard, Ultra, and II series. It definitely does feel more like deep polishing and refinement to me, though.

FractalMB, fretworn and JiveTurkey like this.
  5. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Sonically, the difference isn't night and day, however it's definitely not negligible, in my opinion. Many of the updated / new features are so useful that, like I said, going back to the II would feel like a true downgrade to me. If the II is all a person can afford, well, it's still a great sounding unit, however I consider the III a truly worthy successor.

fretworn and Elric like this.
  6. bloodninja

bloodninja Member

I have an Ax8 and III, and would be glad to do some A/B testing. What do you want to hear?

7. josetxu

josetxu Member

Wow, I missed that. Seems that the AX8 is following the way of the FX8 and being a Dead man in live. Even the discontinued FXII has received a new update and no words of it being ported to the AX8.

I think this is the perfect time to sell my AX8...

8. ak301

ak301 Member

Why?
    If its giving great tones then why would you need to part with it
    No indication its finished as a unit, look at all the work that went into porting Ares

9. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

That was only ported to the XL though, correct? AX8 is still Quantum?

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Also consider that in many cases new amps are not really "getting better". Consider how many amps (booteek and off the shelf) that are built to sounds as close to 50+ year old amps, but with more robust components. Actually, in many cases LESS ROBUST components!

11. ak301

ak301 Member

Nope, AX8 got an Ares inspired/based update last year

12. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

AX8 is still Quantum. Some bits of the modeling were ported over but it's still a Quantum release.

I think it's interesting that the Axe II was discontinued but is still getting development while the AX8 is an active product with little to no development. Not that Fractal owes AX8 owners anything, but it's going against the grain of the competition (including the Axe III).

13. ak301

ak301 Member

My guess is Cliff and the team are focusing on the AXEIII whilst developing the next generation floor unit

14. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

I have had a Kemper and Remote for a year and am happy with it. That said I'd still like to try a Fractal product.

Was thinking the Ax8 would be a less expensive way to dip toe in water.

Then , III has better UI , headphone jack, improved amp tones but also requires foot controller.

So, I guess I would be interested in amp tone comparison and verb/delay comparison between the two.

I play at church regularly. Voxy tones w/ lots of verb/delay..........

15. josetxu

josetxu Member

Well, I paid 1700€ (almost $2000) for it when it was released (bought at the official european distributor G66, had to wait my turn on the waitlist for several months). Never been completely satisfied and I've never though that my tone is anything as good as the tone I had before, but it was convenient and then I started to play in a group where nobody played with amps. I've struggled a lot to get the tones I was searching and waste a lot of time tweaking it. Recently I started to play my amp again and though of using the AX8 for effects with it (a brownface vibroverb clone) but the drives are, in my opinion, subpar compared to real pedals, I've tried to match it to my King of Tone, my BD2, my Lovepedal OD11, my Wampler Ego compressor... with zero success. I recently bought an EHX green big muff reissue (a 80€ pedal) and it simply sounds so superior to the muff in the AX8 that is irritating.

And now a discontinued product like the FX2 has received a new update, FXIII a reworked drive block and not a single word about any development on the AX8. Sorry but I think it's time to sell the AX8 before a new one "flagship" floor model from fractal is being announced from one day to other (like the III) or something like "sorry but the AX8 can't handle anything more, there's not power or memory" (or something like that) and AX8 lost it's value in the second hand market.