Boomerang III Update!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by James Knox, Jan 14, 2008.

1. James Knox

James Knox Member

Like many of you, I have been waiting quite some time for the release of the New, Improved Boomerang III.

The last I had read, January 2008 was to be the release date. Thinking that maybe the NAMM Show this week would birth Rang3, I contacted the company to see what the latest was.

They emailed me back an update, so I asked fif I could share this info with the other Looper Junkies on our board. With their permission, here is the response:

Here's the latest news regarding the Boomerang(R) III Phrase Sampler which will be available worldwide. I wish I could give you a definite release date, but unfortunately its just not possible short of consulting a fortune teller.

Here's exactly where we are as of today, 9 Jan 08. We have ordered and received all parts necessary to build a few hundred Rang(TM) III loopers. The low level software is complete, i.e. power up initialization; LED, knob and button control/response; memory management system; etc. The unit records and plays with incredible sound quality and no loop boundary glitches. The basic functions of recording multiple loops is
    complete. Erasing loops is complete. Stacking should be complete by this weekend.

We have implemented a software architecture that makes inserting changes faster. I'll spare you the gory details but it means that progress
    should accelerate as we go along.

Boomerang® III Phrase Sampler (E-156) $559 (full retail price)

This powerful pedal continues the Boomerang tradition of a simple user interface but adds many new features customers have requested. It
    records in true stereo (or mono), and has over 18.5 minutes of mono recording with a sampling rate of 24KHz. Recording in stereo at 48KHz
    provides about 5 minutes. Up to six independent loops can be played sequentially (verse/chorus/bridge use) or simultaneously. In the latter mode the loops may be synced or played totally independent from each other.
    After the primary loop is recorded, there are 3 additional "layers" that can be recorded. The layers can be silenced, played or re-recorded.
    Additional material may be stacked on (added to) any of the layers. This provides a multilevel undo/redo capability.

The user can assign a number of interesting and useful functions to two "Bonus" buttons: stack, erase, once, octave, reverse, reverse solo, play-stop all, fade, undo/redo & copy to next.

There are a variety of signal routing options and a pedal linking system so multiple units can be synced. It is about half the size of the Rang™ Plus. As with our earlier models there is no MIDI or USB connectivity, and no permanent loop storage. However, some basic MIDI sync capability may be added later as the hardware is already in place.

We will insure the pedal is easy to operate and as intuitive as the current one, but it will be deeper if you want to explore the newfeatures. The Rang™ III has 4 1/4" unbalanced jacks for true stereo
    operation. However when used in mono mode the output jacks can function in a variety of ways.
    1) Loop & instrument out Left, nothing out Right
    2) Loop out Left, nothing out Right (no instrument through)
    3) Loop & instrument out Left, loop out Right
    4) Loop out Left, instrument out Right

This pedal has the same physical specifications as the Chorus*Delay pedal with a 6" x 9.3" foot print and it weighs about 2.5 lb.

Comparison between the Plus and the III.

Spec ** Plus ** III

- Sample rate ** 12 rates from 24KHz down to 8KHz ** 48KHz and 24KHz
    - Sample width (bits) ** 16 ** 20
    - Noise floor ** -92dB ** -104dB
    - Number of loops ** 2 ** 3 to 6
    - Max record time ** 4 min 18 sec ** 18 min 38 sec
    - Undo/redo capability ** no ** yes
    - Record/play modes ** serial (1 loop after the other) ** serial, sync & free (simultaneously playing loops in last 2)
    - Signal path ** mono ** stereo (or mono)
    - Volume control ** built in foot roller ** external expression pedal
    - Individual loop volume control ** not independently ** yes, independent
    volume control in sync & free modes
    - Auto fade out ** no ** yes, with adjustable time
    - Loop copy ** no ** yes
    - Use reverse solo effect while loops are playing ** no ** yes
    - Size ** 6" x 17.5" ** 6" x 9.3"

--

Mike Nelson
    Secretary/Treasurer, Boomerang Management, Inc. General Partner of Boomerang Musical Products, Ltd.

I will be buying one of these - fo sho!

Who else is excited to get one of these?

Peace,

James

2. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

I have been waiting for this pedal for a LONG time... (who else here sold their Rang II because a previous Boomerang III release date was right around the corner... a year ago? :jo ) That being said, I'll be there when it really hits the shelves.

I can't wait to see what crazy noises I can get out of the Rang III and a TimeFactor! :munch

3. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

$559 seems high, no?

I seem to remember one of the early selling points for the new unit was that it was actually going to cost less than the current v2?

Am I mistaken?

Brian

4. goldie-gold

goldie-gold Member

I am very excited about this. I'm not sure we'll be getting them in the UK for ages yet though.

I will totally be picking one up as soon as I can.

5. stratmaster48

stratmaster48 Member

Do you know if it will record and output what you recorded like the old ones, or will it record independently so i'll be able to put on different FX without the output being effected.

6. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

what is the advantage of this thing over an RC-50?

7. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

It's inflation. In the twenty years since they first announced the Rang 3 was coming out....sorry, couldn't resist :roll

8. stratmaster48

stratmaster48 Member

anyone know?

9. fuzzinator

fuzzinator Member

I just offloaded my RC-50 knowing the Boomerang III was forthcoming.

I have the first issue Rang, and I use it all the time. I tried the RC-20XL and the RC-50, and they made me run back to the primitive, old school first issue Rang.

Can't wait to get my mitts on this!!!

10. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

You're mistaken. The list price of the 'rang II+ was $599, so $559 is lower. Neither of those are street price.

11. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

why, what is the problem with the RC-50. seems to smoke the boomerang in every way. I couldn't stand the first issue boomerang, the sound quality is horrible.

12. fuzzinator

fuzzinator Member

I use loopers in real time. I don't save patches, and I don't use them as a "band in a box" solution. I need something I can operate entirely with my feet, and the Boomerang does that better than any other looper I've come across.

The Boomerang doesn't have horrible sound quality. You have to adjust the trim knob on the back to optimize it for your set-up. If set too low or two high, you can run into problems.

The RC-50 wasn't intuitive to me. I bought it to play with the asynchronous looping features, and I wasn't keen on how it was implemented. I'm not a tap-dancer. I'm a guitar player!

More than anything, The RC-50 wasn't "fun" to use. The Boomerang is TONS of fun to use!

13. James Knox

James Knox Member

I previously owned a Boomerang+ but sold it because of a "change in project". Also, it seemed so big at the time. I am starting to work on looping again and currently using a Boss RC2 - I initially liked it because of the small footprint. The double-tapping thing to stop, double-tap-and-hold to erase is starting to annoy me. I looked into the RC50 and it appears more of the same (tap dancing).

I have tried the LoFi Looper (sounds beautiful but not enough time), the Digitech JamMan (didn't care for the tone loss), Akai Headrush (not enough time).

I am looking forward to the intuitive, simple approach with the new Rang 3. Loop fades ... COOL!

14. James Knox

James Knox Member

Well - the price of the Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro Plus went on sale for $600 at MF so I got one of those instead.

I will still follow with interest the release of the Rang3, but I have been using the Echoplex the last couple of days and it is pretty sweet.

My plan is to become familiar with the Echoplex and by the time the Rang3 sees the light of day I will be able to assess which looper will best suit my needs...

Anybody else get an Echoplex and now having second thoughts about waiting any longer for the Rang3?

15. dmczern

dmczern Member

Thanks for the much wanted update James.

16. drolling

drolling Member

Woulda been all over that sale in an NY minute, but MF refuses to take Canadian orders...I phoned up when they blew out the original (long discontinued) Lexicon JamMan at rock-bottom prices - That's when I discovered their shipping policy!

Congrats on the EDP, tho'. Check out Loopers-delight.com for the best info I've found on the net. Joining their mailing list is a must do for loopers.

I've got a Rang+ and it's still my first choice over the DigiTech JamMan & the BOSS RC-20XL & the RC-2. Might be because I've had it so long, but it's operation seems a lot more intuitive than these new-fangled loop stations.

Even the Electrix Repeater still confuses the heck outa me. I ordered one when they were introduced and recieved it just as the company was shutting down! Still haven't got thru' the manual!!!:jo

17. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

Just got an APB from Mike Nelson at Boomerang - -the 'Rang III is now slated for an August '08 release.

18. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Good news! I was looking at picking up a new looper in that timeframe, and it's either Boomerang or DL-4.

19. leumasjames

leumasjames Member

we'll see about that...:cool:

20. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

:agree