Boomerang III vs. Pigtronix Infinity Looper

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sir Douglas T, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Sir Douglas T

Sir Douglas T Supporting Member

I just need a date as I'm on the fence trying to hold off of the Rang III.:joI'm a one man Live rig and am in desperate need of a loop that does more than my Timeline. :)

2. PUMAMAN

PUMAMAN Member

I was holding off on the Rang III until the release date of April was pushed back again. I decided that I would score the Rang III at a good price ( there are some deals to be had on this since it's been out for awhile). My thinking was I could spend some serious time with the Rang while waiting for the Infinity, this would make it much easier to compare the two. I'll pickup the Infinity whenever it does come out, but after having the Rang III for a few months I am not so sure that I will choose the Infinity over it. The Rang III is one of those pedals that is layed out so well it just blows my mind. I'm just amazed at the thought that went into these. Of course the ability to save is the big draw on the Infinity but I don't expect the Infinity to be any easier to use than the Rang III in fact I expect it will fall short. Among other things,those funky switches on the Rang III are absolutely the bomb. They are so touch sensitive. It's too easy with regular pedal style switches to not quite push down hard enough to engage. Never a problem with these. So I will ultimately try the Infinity but IMHO the Rang set the bar extremely high for loopers when it comes to ease of use and quality of sound. After having one for a few months I really will have to question whether or not the ability to save will be enough to quite possibly compromise on the great features and usability of the Rang III. Yes for me the "perfect Looper" would be a Rang with the ability to save. Hopefully one day.... maybe a Rang IV :)
    Just my humble thoughts.

dotpc likes this.
  3. Sir Douglas T

Well........................ we're waiting!
    [​IMG]

4. Couloirman

Couloirman Supporting Member

Couldn't wait any longer. Pulled the trigger on a new Boomerang for $399 with the 15% Prymaxe coupon.

5. Sir Douglas T

:aokI agree the Rang III is looking like the best way to go as I don't think Pigtronix has the kinks worked out on the Infinity, otherwise they would have had a firm release date. Announced at Winter NAMM and still no word on when it will be released? :brick

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  6. Hemogloben

Hemogloben Member

Hey Guys, I'm Ben Artes from Pigtronix. I've worked very closely with Dave over the past 2 years on designing the Looper and I'm responsible for Looper App development.

And today I have the awesome honor of telling you:

It's Here! The wait is over! The feature-complete, battle-tested Infinity Looper ships from our factory TODAY!

Now that you know who I am and I told you what you were waiting for, I'd like to say how much of a pleasure it was working on this project (can it really be called working when a guitar is involved?). The Infinity Looper is better than we ever expected. It has become an integral part of my board; its transparent, "just work" attitude let's me focus on what's important: MY PLAYING!

I love it. You'll love it. And Dave and I can't wait to hear what you think.

He'll be on here later to confirm and answer questions.

In the mean time, Prepare yourselves!

xcc and dotpc like this.
  7. Pigtronix

Pigtronix Member

Its official, the wait is over. Infinity Looper is NOW released and ships TODAY!!!

One nice addition is that the unit has been configured to support the upload of virtually any audio format via USB with automatic conversion of bit depth and sample rate!!!

Thanks to everyone at The Gear Page for your input and patience. The pedal is ROCK SOLID, sounds magnificent, and will exceed your expectations. I guarantee it will outperform anything on the market.

I welcome your continued input on additional features and functions that can potentially be added via firmware update.

8. Sir Douglas T

:dudeFinally! Just in time for me to make that day one purchase. Thanks guys, we have been patiently waiting for this thing to drop. :)

9. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Congrats to you guys on shipping!

I hope you guys can expand it in very cool ways in the future. :)

:beer

10. t3oi

t3oi Member

Very interested in the Pigtronix. Met Dave at SXSW a couple of years ago and he's good people.

dotpc likes this.
  11. 808quake

808quake Member

mommy, please, can i, huh ?

12. Last

Last Member

How will "Firmware Updates" be handled?

I'm assuming a Midi~File using a Midi~Cable just like on the Timeline or am I waaaay off & it will be USB based?

13. TwinkleDaddy

TwinkleDaddy Member

Anyone watch the NAAM youtube video for the pigtronix pedal? Seems like that dude is reading off note cards. don't you think that if you've been developing that pedal for three years, you would be able to freely and intelligently talk about a pedal, not sound like your reading off note cards and looking around the camera?? I ain't trying to troll, but if I was looking for a Phrase looper, that would turn me off...

14. breadfan

breadfan Member

Any chance of a stripped down version, minus the bells & whistles, in the near future? :D

(I guess you did know what you were talking about on the other forum!)

Best of luck with it, it looks like a great tool!

15. Hemogloben

Hemogloben Member

Not sure which video you're talking about, I'm assuming the one with Dave on the Sweetwater website:

Not sure if you've ever been to NAMM or not, but any convention is a REALLY crazy environment; there's just so much going on. On top of that you have to try and boil down years of features and nuance that you've put into the pedal into a 1 minute speech. It is not easy.

I guess what I'm saying is look at the context. It's going to sound a little rehearsed because it is. It's a feature summary not an exploration of the pedal. If you were to call the factory and speak to Dave he's more than capable of talking intelligently about its features in depth, he's the brains behind its operation, but the video I think you're talking about isn't that. It's a marketing feature summary.

Hopefully you'll try the pedal and see that it's a deep pedal and could be hard to summarize, also why we think it's the easiest to use, best sounding looper around.

:)

16. Hemogloben

Hemogloben Member

I try to to talk about things I know nothing about. :)

In a sense, the Infinity is our attempt to build a stripped down looper. Or at least a looper that makes ease of use just as important as feature count, all without sacrificing audio quality.

We haven't really discussed future plans for the infinity platform(though I'm sure all have good ideas and plans, I know I do). They're certainly not off the table. Right now we're focused on rolling out Infinities, supporting it with firmware updates, and moving on to other projects.

Super secret. Super cool. Other projects. :dude

dotpc likes this.
  17. Last

Last Member

Well, I'm sold, I'm going to place an order tonight through Sweetwater. :)

Looking forward to being one of the first batch out. ;)

18. magnus02

magnus02 Member

can't wait to see some in depth info and demos... i sold my boomerang bc i needed cash a while back but i need to get another on my board... love my mothership and pigtronix has my attention

19. Pigtronix

Pigtronix Member

USB.

Firmware update is super simple:

Plug your Infinity Looper in via USB, launch the Looper App that comes pre-loaded on the pedal and select UPDATE FIRMWARE from the TOOLS menu. Choose "automatic." As long as you have an internet connection, it will update in about 5 seconds. Unplug the USB cable and power cycle the pedal while holding "INPUT SPLIT." The digit will flash "F" and your are done.

The other way is to download the firmware update from our website and manually place it in the LOOPERFW folder, then power cycle while holding INPUT SPLIT.

All features are fully functional and the unit is ROCK SOLID. Firmware updates will be adding new features based on customer feedback. I will be checking this thread, but if you have ideas, hit me up anytime.

pigtronix at gmail.com

dotpc likes this.
  20. NdrewC

NdrewC Member

Please let me know the price and when will it be available at Proguitarshop or Prymaxe! I'm actually considering getting this instead of the Boomerang. And I'm thinking of foregoing the Klon KTR and POT so that this fits on my board for convenience sake.