Boomerang III vs. Pigtronix Infinity Looper

Hemogloben

How is the dry signal handled on both the Boomerang and the Infinity? Are both digitized when bypassed or analog through?

The dry signal on the Infinity is an analog passthrough design, and that passthrough dry signal is capable of 0->Unity->~6db above unity

Hemogloben

Is the windows app any different than the downloaded Mac app?
After doing the automatic FW update do you need to disconnect from USB mode before rebooting for the FW to be installed. The Mac app needs a simple check my FW version and some basic progress meter and reboot message. Any comments Pigtronix? We appreciate your participation on the forum.

When you attempt to update your firmware it will check which version was last installed on your looper and notify you if you're trying to load an older version. On top of that, it will save all previous FW updates in a backup folder so that you can rollback to any previous version you've loaded.

Once you use the Update Firmware menu you have to disconnect the looper from the USB and power cycle the unit while holding SPLIT.

The only real difference between the Mac and Windows applications is that the Windows app can be run from the looper. Mac's design/security measures mean that the app has to be copied to the applications folder of your computer and CANNOT be run from the Infinity Looper itself.

otari

Initial reaction from my two nights with the Infinity:

FANTASTIC sound quality. I've been feeding it all kinds of signals and it has responded incredibly well. Extremely low noise with ample clean gain boost on both loops and the master volume if needed.

Took me five minutes to be up and looping, but there are lots of advanced functions that I've started to dig into.

Absolutely no latency that I've detected.

Windows app works great, and I appreciate the protective rubber on the usb port on the pedal! Firmware update was a cinch.

Very impressed with how they've packed so many features into this small box with a really simple interface (four knobs, three footswitches, four small buttons). That means that many of the buttons have dual functions - one for short press, one for long press - so it does take reading the manual to get a handle on how to access the advanced features. Saving and recalling presets is dead simple.

Overall, I'm thrilled.

Only function that I'd really be stoked to see added with a firmware update is the ability to copy a stack from loop 1 to loop 2, then clear loop 1 and start fresh with it.

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
Mac's design/security measures mean that the app has to be copied to the applications folder of your computer and CANNOT be run from the Infinity Looper itself.

has the Mac app been updated since last week yet - so it works w/ 10.8.2?

Hemogloben

has the Mac app been updated since last week yet - so it works w/ 10.8.2?

Yeah, we've got a version working on 10.8 etc. Apple made 10.8 slightly more secure in a way that made writing to removable disks slightly more difficult, but the solution was simple enough in the end. It's going to change the way the app is installed; instead of dragging the app into the applications folder, you'll have to use a package installer, but that's about it.

It's done now. Just need a day or two to thoroughly test and finalize the installer on all the supported OSX versions. At worst it will be out Friday night, but I've got most everything wrapped up and I'll be pushing hard to get it out tomorrow by 6:00PM. I'll be sure to post here when it happens.

propower

I have to check the pigtronix out!

I love and hate the Rang III... been using it for almost two years. mazing feature set - excellent sound quality -- loop vol on pedal --
BUT...

1) Simple overdubs are just not simple. Takes two button presses
2) Buttons are so flat and have no tactile response. So many times it isn't hit when I stomp. Or snag the wrong one stomping on one.
3) If I hit two buttons at once it goes to an unkonwn state and has to be power cycled to recover (major mood killer as a solo artist).
4) Rules for starting and stopping various members of a synced loop are just weird -- what if I don't want track 3 back!

We shall see.... love that loop vol via expression pedal is there.

Pity Infinity can't autosense how many cycles of the first loop has passed and just round up to the next whole number. Many times I don't know what multiple I want!

crazynightowl

Just curious about about your thoughts....

Simple overdubs are just not simple. Takes two button presses

If a looper has multiple loops playing how else could you tell it which loop you wanted to stack on? I suppose the looper coluld alternate between playing and stacking but then how do you stop a loop(s) easily?

Rules for starting and stopping various members of a synced loop are just weird -- what if I don't want track 3 back!

Could you clarify this? Not sure what this means.

Pity Infinity can't autosense how many cycles of the first loop has passed and just round up to the next whole number. Many times I don't know what multiple I want!

Many loopers have the multiply function but I too wonder why it's such a popular feature (vs the approach you mentioned). Still waiting for someone to explain that to me.

propower

Good Questions...

In serial sync if you only have one loop going pushing stack gets straight to overdubbing. But I never use serial. In multiple loops if there is only one going why not the same and go to the more specific behavior only when multiple are playing. Or even better only assume that the last loop recorded wants overdub...

2) Was wrong about the synched loops part -- my bad...

3) love the auto multiple. Lay a two bar rhythmn on track three and comp whatever length multiple you want on #2 -- very cool

OK-- I just checked and here is the big thing with RIII. Go ahead and put it in sync/free mode and step on two pedals at once or roll your foot between them really fast (like when in performance you are concentrating on other things). All manner of bad things happen! I finally just diagnosed this at home -- it has bitten me over and over at gigs!!!!

They are all variations on this----
One light is on and the other is off - but the off one is still recording (or playing). You have to hit the off one again and then you get the dim. Good luck figuring out which variant happened live at the gig. Is this known?? is there a fix??

crazynightowl

In serial sync if you only have one loop going pushing stack gets straight to overdubbing. But I never use serial. In multiple loops if there is only one going why not the same and go to the more specific behavior only when multiple are playing. Or even better only assume that the last loop recorded wants overdub...

I guess that makes sense but then you have to remember more stuff (or think about more stuff) rather than a consistent approach which becomes rote after a while. Not sure you can ever "assume" much of anything about what someone might want to do next. I've commented before we need a looper that can read our mind! Someday maybe!

OK-- I just checked and here is the big thing with RIII. Go ahead and put it in sync/free mode and step on two pedals at once or roll your foot between them really fast (like when in performance you are concentrating on other things). All manner of bad things happen! I finally just diagnosed this at home -- it has bitten me over and over at gigs!!!!

Yes, I think what happens is you create a really really short loop which can sometimes sound like a drone, buzz, etc. My unit has the new slimmer buttons which helps. Maybe you could write to Mike about getting some if you don't already have them. I wonder if a minimum-length loop would be a good suggestion?

propower

Yes, I think what happens is you create a really really short loop which can sometimes sound like a drone, buzz, etc. My unit has the new slimmer buttons which helps. Maybe you could write to Mike about getting some if you don't already have them. I wonder if a minimum-length loop would be a good suggestion?

You inspired me to write them!

- the too short is understandable - yet should be not allowed -- the real issue is that in that state the pedalboard LEDs are wrong. The too short loop has its LED off so that in the heat of the moment one has no idea what is happening... slim buttons -- don't know if I do or don't have these....

Thanks -- now back to the thread topic!:huh

Hemogloben

It can. The maximum is 6x the Loop 1 length, but if you press Loop 2 early to try and close it early, it'll wait until Loop 1 cycles and then close Loop 2. The multiplier select is so that you can:
a)auto-close loop 2 if you know how long you want it to be
b) adjust how much space is allocated to each loop. There is only so much space each preset has and using the multiplier select is a way to tell the looper what you plan to do so it can adjust the size accordingly. But there is nothing stopping you from leaving it in x6 mode and just closing Loop 2 early...

rayza

Just a tip. Prymaxe now have these listed as pre order (approx in stock on the 17th) and I was just able to order one with the 15% off code.

celticelk

Good Questions...

The current setup allows you to have a single loop going in Free mode, press Overdub to arm it while you're playing over that loop, and then select a new loop to begin recording into with Overdub already active, so that you can close the loop immediately into overdubbing for seamless swells, etc. Personally, I think this is the best possible implementation for multiple independent loops without having to drastically increase the real estate of the pedal (as with the Boss RC-300). if it's difficult to remember, maybe you just need to practice more?

propower

The current setup allows you to have a single loop going in Free mode, press Overdub to arm it while you're playing over that loop, and then select a new loop to begin recording into with Overdub already active, so that you can close the loop immediately into overdubbing for seamless swells, etc. Personally, I think this is the best possible implementation for multiple independent loops without having to drastically increase the real estate of the pedal (as with the Boss RC-300). if it's difficult to remember, maybe you just need to practice more?

I am glad this works for you. It is a very particular application that does not require loop sync. All I do has loop sync. I would never have thought of your method. I tried it in other modes and each gave its own unique result. Not necessarily bad but not simple either...

propower

It can. The maximum is 6x the Loop 1 length, but if you press Loop 2 early to try and close it early, it'll wait until Loop 1 cycles and then close Loop 2. The multiplier select is so that you can:
a)auto-close loop 2 if you know how long you want it to be
b) adjust how much space is allocated to each loop. There is only so much space each preset has and using the multiplier select is a way to tell the looper what you plan to do so it can adjust the size accordingly. But there is nothing stopping you from leaving it in x6 mode and just closing Loop 2 early...

Very cool... have unit on order!

Sir Douglas T

Silver Supporting Member
Got mine yesterday and have to say it is a very cool pedal. I really like the looks of it as well and the buttons are not what I expected as they don't click and are very soft and easy to use. More to come as I delve a bit deeper. :)

starfish

New version fo the Infinity Looper MAC application available:

http://pigtronix.com/SPLapplication/MAC/

LOAD SET function is now active.
OS 10.8 supported.

How far off might additional looper features be like reverse, half speed, and feedback decay (for allowing loops to organically fade out while new material is recorded on top)?

Just wondering since your other features seem to be what I would like in a compact pedal looper, namely two loops with multiply, loop storage, free or synched loops, serial or multi-synched, and midi control. If you just added those couple "standard" looper features I think you would have a solid home run in a total package that the other guys can't seem to complete, despite multiple iterations like Boss and Boomerang.

I'm not knocking the latter, I think the Boomerang is a solid product, but has a couple large gaps that keep me away like no midi (big gap right there), no analog pass through, and no loop storage. Otherwise, they seem to have many of the 'standard' features I mentioned.

shawntp

Silver Supporting Member
Quick question, can someone answer if I can easily do the following with the Infinity:

- Play a little intro
- On the fly.. arm Loop 1 and Record a loop
- Play back Loop 1 for a bit and solo over it
- Turn off Loop 1 and start playing something else
- Arm Loop 2 and record a different loop of its own length
- Jam over loop 2 for a bit
- Turn off loop 2 and play back loop 1

My main application is free composition Jazz and want to just be able to have a couple independent on/off banks most of the time.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom