Boomerang Sidecar -- More are on the Way

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chiachiere, Mar 24, 2015.

1. chiachiere

chiachiere Supporting Member

Hi All -
    Just a PSA here about the Boomerang Side Car. I noticed that supply of these pedals has dried up on eBay, Reverb, and here, and that some folks are charging really high prices for them as a result of the shortage. I've seen them as high as $1349 on eBay (generally the pedal runs about $249).

I just want to let folks know that I've spoken to Mike at Boomerang and more pedals are on the way -- the Sidecar has not been discontinued. Mike expects new pedals to be available within 3 to 7 weeks, depending on supply chain issues.
    Thanks -- that's all. Happy looping.
    RC

2. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

LOL at a 4-figure price for a sidecare.

Hey since you just spoke with them, is there any indication they are working on a next gen Boomerang?

3. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

Good question. I asked them about a year or little more ago and the answer was no, things may have changed.

That said, he was very interested in user feedback. What can be improved, added or otherwise. I would suggest getting in touch with them and let them know what your interested in for the next model. Super nice people.

4. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Good idea, I should do that. I was a Boomerang V2 user back in the day and have played V3 a good amount. A Boomerang that had (a) quantize ability based on tap temp or midi temp, (b) midi loop sync, (c) ability to store/export loops, along with all the other V3 features would pretty much be something I'd pay like almost anything for.

Maybe I'll reach out to them.

5. chiachiere

chiachiere Supporting Member

Agreed, for sure. We did not talk about anything other than the Sidecar issue, so I have no news on next gen 'rangs. But as others have pointed out, Mike is the nicest guy in the business and I'm sure would be happy to hear suggestions from users.

6. Nichesound

Nichesound Member

The company that makes the Boomerange and Sidecar is trying to sell the company. They are not making any more product as far as I know. I sent a message to Mike who owns the company and he said they aren't making SC's and that they are as hard to find as hens teeth.

7. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

Uh oh, I was hoping to pick one up

8. Elec Giraffe Studio

Elec Giraffe Studio Member

Just got an email back from Mike at Boomerang...I asked since the SC was impossible to get, would it be possible to control the B III over midi (so a standard midi foot controller could be used, or you could even sequence it from a PC). He said the SC was based off "a sort bastardized midi", so it might be possible and he would check with the programmer. This would be great news if true - even better than the side car as it would open up all sorts of possibilities.

Fingers crossed....

9. fitzo

fitzo Silver Supporting Member

I missed this when you posted. Thanks for the heads-up.
    It explains why I was, 'like, WTF,' a week ago when I decided to maybe buy one, finally, and went looking. Too bad.

10. gwyard

gwyard Member

Hey guys - just found this thread looking for a Boomerang Sidecar - disappointed to find they are so rare - anyone found a lead anywhere?

JackStraw12 likes this.
  11. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

Unfortunately no, but the search continues.

12. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

I spoke with the guys at Tone Unlimited a little over a month ago. They said that the company was in the process of being sold (buyer had been found), and that they expected sidecars to be produced again under the new owners once it went through.

JackStraw12 likes this.
  13. otis scarecroe

otis scarecroe Member

Has anybody here used a Midi monitor to record the messages that the Side Car sends?
    I don't have a Mac but this is free for Mac users : https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/
    Seems the quickest way to those CC #'s.
    Being able to use already owned ,multi-device midi control makes sense to me, and it seems that Mike from Boomerang never got back to the OP on this thread.
    I will say that the Boomerang button design is the most accurate time wise (Works like piano action mechanism), but the 5 existing buttons probably cover enuf for loop start and stop, if you have external midi control for other functions ie: Erase,stack, etc., that don't demand precision timing).

I read that there had been a post here where the midi messages sent from the Side Car were identified, but apparently it was deleted.
    Anybody grab that or know whether is it being prohibited by the moderators here?

14. otis scarecroe

otis scarecroe Member

I received a message from the new owner of Boomerang Pedals regarding addressing midi. My question and the response:

On Aug 8, 2017, at 2:23 PM, I wrote:

Is there any possibility that you will release the midi messages sent by the Side Car or expression pedal so that we might use multi-device midi controllers that we already possess and carry for gigs?
    This would greatly improve function without adding more to the pedal board.
    Thanks, Otis

Hello,
    As of now the MIDI function is very limited with the existing design. It’s something we plan on changing in the future but that won’t be until March or April of next year.
    Thank you,
    Alex K.
    Boomerang Support

15. otis scarecroe

otis scarecroe Member

Mike Nelson, the creator of the Boomerang sent this today:
    "Unfortunately the MIDI commands used in the communication between the SC and III are non standard and
    probably couldn't be duplicated by a third party MIDI controller."
    So we wait til Spring...