Boomerang vs Infinity: Differences

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hellbound, Dec 27, 2013.

1. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

I wish I could commit to one since I am driving myself bonkers with the decision. Ive read both manuals twice, scoured YouTube for demos, read every thread post on TGP regarding the two, made a positive/negative list, contacted both manufacturers about some details. Total stale mate. :bonk

2. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I sent the Infinity back and got another Rang as a backup. It obviously works well for others, but it was not for me. Also, I had the pedal crash 4 times in the first 48 hours; it would signal E and completely lock up until power cycled. When I tried to run the Mac editor, my mini wouldn't install the app because it said it wasn't from a recognized vendor or somesuch. Which also meant I couldn't try and upgrade the firmware, in case that was causing the errors. Sorry, I don't got time for that.

In terms of use: I loved the sound of the unit. I figured out the input split feature, and ultimately found it less useful than I'd like. My preference is to keep the dry signal and loops on different channels, but from a single input, the Infinity only allows either a summed output or a signal with the dry signal on one channel, and the loops on both channels. The Rang allows me to choose to have dry on one channel & loops on the other OR dry on one channel & loops on both.

The 2.5 sec minimum was too long for a number of techniques I use regularly.

Having two loops was kind of odd; I'm used to three, although I often use only one. But rarely, as it turns out, do I use two. This is true either in song-form looping (where each loop is a song component, eg verse/chorus) or freeform looping, where loops tend to be more textural/rhythmic or shorter melodic units.

I prefer to have overdub/stacking broken out from the transport system. This allows more creative use of layering and loop aging/feedback.

The Infinity seems to be mostly oriented towards songform looping; it's more Boss than EDP. There's no shame in that -- but it's not how I work as a looping guitarist. However, once you start doing songform stuff, I think that 2 loops isn't enough; you need a bridge or a C part to get out of the rut of cycling from one to the other loop (to put it at its most simple level.) Sometimes going to a pure live track for the C part is good -- it's a nice contrast -- but not always.

So, there you go. I think if one is doing primarily songform looping, and doesn't need more than 2 loops -- and if you need the recording features -- then the Infinity is a fantastic unit. For freeform or textural stuff, however, it has significant limits, specifically the 2.5s minimum and rec/dub/play functionality.

3. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Thank you for the long and detailed response, Crazyquilt. It is too bad the Infinity didn't work out for you, but I suppose you know what you want. FWIW, Pigtronix intends to update the software to lower the minimum loop time. But if it is not Mac-compatible, well, I suppose it doesn't matter for you. I wonder why you had so many crashes with your unit.

Have you tried syncing your Rangs now? You could have 6-8 loops now....
    :headexplode

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  4. bigEbeer

bigEbeer Member

I had the opposite experience. I find the rang buttons easier to use. YMMV

5. lightningblues427

lightningblues427 Senior Member

I have had flawless use with my Infinity and the sound quality is excellent, as good as you will find in any looper, plus it accepts midi, most importantly it does exactly what it claims to do and the switches are the easiest and quietest on the market, it is as user friendly as you can expect and even sends a mono out to a drummer or for what ever reasons you want to do that.

It syncs loops perfectly and allows for multiplying a short loop so that a longer loop can be applied over the top for playback.

you can run the 2 loops in parallel or series and you can record virtually infinite takes over the top of each of the number 1 and 2 loops to boot.

you can also download songs or snippets or drumbeats etc. via USB to practice to or jam over, and you can even buy 16GB or 32GB cards to extend the recording time of the looper...

I have owned many loopers including the Boss RC50 the Boss RC300 and the Pigtronix Infinity Looper and from a guitarist/live looping perspective the infinity is as good as it gets in ease of use and quiet functioning with pure sound quality....

I also had my doubts, when I got it I was freaked out about how light the unit is, but once I started using it...no comparisons, if spending more time playing and less time monkeying around is what your interested in then I honestly have to say the Infinity is the clear winner.

Good luck on your choice of looper.

6. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Member

I remember you and I got into some of this in a thread a few months ago. I wound up with a DL4 and an SMMH for looping. I'm now using a Boomerang III and the SMMH. (Have a Jamman Express XT, too, but I think it is going back tomorrow.)

Having the SMMH for weird, out of tune micro loops that can be mangled is simply too much fun for me. The progressive pitch change, the reverse delays, the multitaps and the filtering of loops are indispensable and very rare, so it stays. Also, you can access the looper instantaneously in any mode except one. It is the heir to the 16 second digital delay..

I haven't used an Infinity, so I can't speak intelligently, but--based on what you've said you look for in a looper, and what you've been unable to find outside of your DL4--I'd recommend the 'Rang. My recommendation is not to knock Pigtronix, as I use and love many of their products. Based on the stuff you've said you do, it sounds like the Rang is a better fit. I'm in love with mine. The only drawback is that you really do need the sidecar. I don't have one, but I can already see how unbelievably useful it'd be. That's the real benefit of the Rang, from what I can tell--that you dedicated switches for all the functions you could ask for.

7. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Ha, you guys are both really helpful despite opposite preferences and suggestions. I have been somewhat obsessing over this decision, but it seems important because my new project will be loop heavy. I have all sort of ideas in my head, and each pedal offers a few things different.

I wanted to add to this thread regarding the differences between these loopers:

BOTH:
    - midi clock sync
    - mono/stereo routing options
    - expression pedal to control loop volume or decay
    - need external control boxes for maximum capabilities
    - sync or free loops
    - loop aging/decay allows REPLACE function when set low

Differences:
    FADE handled differently:
    Rang III - Adjustable via knob for longer fade out. Fades all loops, not individually.
    Infinity - Fades out current loop until the end. Each loop can be faded individually.

Dry signal:
    Rang III - A/D/A converted. Research shows the sampling bits and frequencey to be a non-issue in reality.
    Infinity - Analog thru.

# of loops:
    Rang III - 3 or 4
    Infinity - 2

Setup:
    Rang III - More cost, more floor/board space, more stomp controls.
    Infinity - Opposite.

Storage:
    Rang III - Nope.
    Infinity - Yep.

RESAMPLING / COPY operation:
    Rang III - Yep
    Infinity - Nope.

ONCE / STUTTER operation:
    Rang III - Yep
    Infinity - Nope.

Input / Output jacks:
    Rang III - Top
    Infinity - Sides

Minimum loop time:
    Rang III - None.
    Infinity - 2.5 seconds, will be updated to lower the time.

Variable speed Control:
    Rang III - None.
    Infinity - Upcoming update

earwax likes this.
  8. crazynightowl

crazynightowl Member

Clearly you need one of each! :)

9. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Ha. Well that list is just the differences. Maybe it will help someone else make a decision.

10. D Rock

D Rock Member

Infinity is all I need, can reverse whichever loop I choose and it sounds great. No to mention perfect midi sync with my NI Maschine. So much fun to load up a drum kit, throw down a quick synth bassline, loop a rhythm part and then solo to my hearts content. Really couldn't ask for more in a looper, as for needing a bridge part on the infinity, I just play it. Its so easy to get caught up in having a looper be your rhythm player, don't forget people like to see people play live, not always necessary to loop a part just so you can play a few more licks here and there.

Just waiting on the new 1/2 speed/ double speed firmware update and I'll be all set.

Good luck choosing!

11. BaBaBooey143

BaBaBooey143 Member

So you CAN load samples onto the Infinity? I thought the Boss was the only one that could do this. Well, that's gonna make my decision alot easier.

do either of these have the ability to play a loop, stop it, and bring it back from where you stopped and not go back to the beginning of the loop?

12. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Yes, you can load samples (or "presets") on the Infinity. FWIW, the Digitech JamMan Stereo and old Solo version allow loading samples from a computer.

I'm not aware of any looper that pauses a loop.

13. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

This is a great list although I think if I read the firmaware updates correctly the list may need some amending.

14. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

Echoplex Digital Pro can pause a loop, and instantly re-start a loop.
    Electrix Repeater can pause a loop, and instantly re-start a loop.

15. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

I love my Boomerang III. Totally nuts in the best of ways. Easier for me to use live than my Ditto even.

16. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

I think this decision almost comes down to how many loops do you think you'll need. More than two I guess you go with boomerang. If only two then I think you go with the infinity since it seems to have more features and new updates at a steady rate.

17. celticelk

celticelk Member

You should probably factor the differences in UI into your decision as well. One of my main criticisms of the Infinity is that it keeps shoehorning new features into a UI that was not designed for easy access to them, so invoking its full feature set in performance basically requires MIDI. (That's not a criticism specific to the Infinity, by any means - it applies to any major post-release feature addition to hardware that doesn't have an extremely flexible UI implementation.)

Crazyquilt likes this.
  18. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

True. It does seem they have added features beyond what the hardware was meant to do. They probably should develop an infinity side car pedal for easier access to these features like boomerang has done.

19. macteacher

macteacher Supporting Member

I have a Rang with a side car and love it, (including the switches), but ultimately, as suggested above and IMHO, until you actually try both you won't be sure what is best for you.

They both are cool boxes, but everyone uses a looper a bit differently to create music.

Also, if you bond with a looper, (like any other piece of equipment), it will hopefully take you creatively to different places that you never thought of before.

Best to take a jump with one and play with it for a while and see what develops.

As a side note, Crazyquilt, I'm wondering if a firmware refresh will solve your old Rang issues? It helped the ones I was having...

FoxV likes this.
  20. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Yes, you are correct, but to be fair you did bump a post from 16 months ago. Since then I bought the Infinity and a Boomerang III. After having my hands and feet on both machines I realized that I would rather have quick access to modify the loops and allow them to evolve. The interface of both machines is a bit slower to work with and multiple separate loops is not a feature I need. Funny that the workflow for these loopers is exactly the opposite (Infinity you choose a loop and then whatever options to apply to the loop; Rang III requires you to choose the option and then what loop to apply it to). I think they are both great machines for particular styles of looping, but those aren't the droids I am looking for.

Both are gone now as I went back to my DL4. Funny thing though, the cycle continues (in a loop, har har) and I am currently looking to replace the DL4 with something else. I have some ideas, none of which are the Rang III or Infinity.

The only other negative comment I will add is that the Infinity was full of glitches and bugs after updating it to the current software at the time, which may not be the case now...And I hesitate to mention this, as I think Pigtronix has good customer service and their intentions are good in supporting a product so far after release. It did become clear that the capabilities of the Infinity have outgrown the box, and as previously mentioned, a MIDI controller may be quite necessary to have all options immediately available. I would love to see Pigtronix unleash something similar to the Boomerang Side Car or and Infinity 2 with all the foot switches built in to one larger box.

earwax likes this.