Boomerang vs Infinity: Differences

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hellbound, Dec 27, 2013.

1. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

I am guilty of that. I just tonight the other thread had way too much about firmaware updates rather than actual comparisons between the two.

What is it about dl4 that drew you back? I am sort of thinking of just getting getting a Strymon Multiswitch and seein how that goes.

2. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Yes, that other thread has been consumed by Pigtronix update info and issues.

The DL4 offers a lot of functions with quick access in one box. Obviously you have the labelled feature set with Reverse, Half Speed, and Once. You also always have the ability to choose on-the-fly to end recording the first loop OR end the loop and continue recording into an overdub, where as other loopers require you to flip a switch inside or choose an internal setting in advance. Another really fun feature is that you can record Half Speed changes during the first loop or on any overdub, while other loopers will only reverse the whole phrase when it reaches the end of the loop. These things appeal to me because I like to manipulate loops and sometimes the creative process is spontaneous, and I don't want to be confined to making choices in advance.

Also, it offers more on the surface at one time than a Rang III (without Side Car). Rang III has 4 "Bonus" options, including basic operations like Stack (overdub) and Erase. So if you select Reverse and Octave (aka Half Speed) you are close to the DL4, but you are still missing the Once feature. Might not be a fair comparison for everyone, but having instant access to all these features has just become basic for me.

I have considered the Timeline and a small MIDI controller too. It operates exactly like the DL4 with two exceptions. Instead of Once you can retrigger the Timeline loop, but it doesn't stop when the phrase reaches the end, which would be useful to resync a loop that is drifting while also allowing the stuttering that Once on the DL4 will do. The second thing is that the Timeline will Undo! The only downside for me is the additional board space and cost. I could find 3 or 4 used DL4s for the price of a Timeline and the MultiSwitch controller.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Crazyquilt and earwax like this.
  3. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

Thanks for the response. I have the timeline already so I am just going to grab a multiswitch clone. Getting one from analog endeavors for $40 dollars plus shipping. It's not too bad but $100 for the strymon one is a bit steep even though is a nice finish and all. Not sure why they didn't have the midi port on the side so you could just put it right up against the timeline.

4. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Or you can have a superior looper in a Timefactor and a 3-aux switch for the price of 2 DL4s.

5. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

The Timefactor loop is only 12 seconds vs 30 on the timeline.

Would you have to get a midi controller to be able to get more footswitches to control the looper on the Timefactor or does the aux3 give it as much functionality as the timeline?

6. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

It's up to 48 seconds in the lowest quality, which is really lo fi. But in 24s is not so bad.

You can have the same functionality as Timeline and a little bit more with the 3 aux switches if you map the 3 external switches to do 2 or even 3 things each, but that's asking for trouble.

Things the TF can't do vs Timeline:
    Undo
    Delay+Looper

As a straight single-track looper it does way more "funny" things than Timelines as the video I posted above shows.
    I still use both.