Boost-A-Rama

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by strangec, Mar 11, 2008.

1. strangec

strangec Supporting Member

Seems like without realizing it, I've amassed quite a collection of similar pedals, especially boost types. Call it a GAS attack that just kinda happened over time. In any case, I was wondering what people thought of the various similar pedlas, pro and con? What do you use where and why?

Boosts:
    ZVex SHO
    Fat Boost
    RC Boost
    Timmy
    Radial PB1

Overdrives:
    Analogman/Maxon OD9 (Tubescreamer)
    Zen Drive

Distortions:
    Keeley Rat
    Crunch Box

2. 89strat

89strat Member

I don't use any of those boost pedals, but I use a RAT. Maybe you help me out. I use a RAT for rythm and would like to use a boost after it for a lead sound. I'm currently using an mxr micro amp and would like something that would add a slight bit of volume, but give me something extra for my solos, some fat, maybe more mids, maybe some nice touch sensitivity. The pedals I've been thinking of is the Fat Boost, RC Booster, and the Sho. So, in your experience, which of these worked best for you with the RAT, and would I be waisting my money being as I already have the micro amp.

3. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I used to love a Rat goosed by a TS9 before I got geeky & Boutique-y. The Rat has always been my favorite distortion (LM308 chip only). Set it with the volume nearly all the way up, set the filter to about 2 o"clock and dial the gain to where you just hear it kick in (play around in that range). Best sound out of a Rat. That gives you chunky Marshall like rhythm tones.

Put a TS style pedal in front of the Rat. Set it in a similar fashion (make sure you like the TS sound by itself). When you go for a lead or want x-tra chunky rhythm tones, step on the TS while the Rat 's on. AMAZING! :RoCkIn

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I'd sell all the boosts except the RC and Timmy. Other then that your in good shape.

I have, Fulldrive, KOT, Mojodrive, Rc Boost, Pharoah Class A boost and a Sunface for boost and dirt duties.

5. 89strat

89strat Member

+1

The only problem I have with that is cutting through enough. I'm not getting anymore volume, only more gain. I have the RAT at 9:00, any lower and it starts to cut out.

6. strangec

strangec Supporting Member

imguitardan- I'd try the RC Boost. That would probably work well in the situation you describe.
    A Tube Screamer would be another option. I do both as I have both before my Rat in my chain.
    I think the FatBoost might make things muddy in conjunction with another pedal- its good for bright amps/guitars/setups that get too bright when a pedal is added.
    No experience with the MicroAmp- I tried one and it was noisy, but that mght have been a bad one- it was pretty beat up.
    I set my Rat with everything about 2:00 and dial to taste from there. Turn the filter down for more bite and cut in the mix.

7. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

I have to chime and and say since I've tried a Timmy after the RAT, it's nearly impossible for me to tear them apart. All I need now is one switch to turn them both on/off!!!!!!!!!!! The added eq, especially on the bass, is just what the doctor ordered. Also, the addition of gain makes infinite sustain an automatic possibility. Now I can do the Gilmour or the Carlos AND do the 80s Metal chunk chords that require that tight bottom.