Boost and compressor assistance?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Feb 20, 2015.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hey guys looking at a new pedal to have multi functions. I want it to be able to be used as a low gain OD, decent mids and compression. One thing that would be cool is playing my Dual Rectifier and using the pedal to hit it harder up front to make it more comfortable to solo on like my Bogner Shiva.

I am looking at....
    Xotic BB MB - I like the BB with most amps. Xotic pedals really come to life at higher volumes in a band setting.
    Xotic AC Comp
    Xotic SP Comp - I heard this into a rectifier and it rocked.
    Fulltone Fat Boost 3
    Mesa Boogie Tone Burst
    Bogner Harlow
    Bogner Wessex
    Fulltone Secret Freq
    Mesa Boogie pedals
    Or....I could save money and stick to Way Huge pedals like the Pork Loin or Angry Troll or MXR like the Custom BA Modified OD. One of the best tones I have heard was my Boogie set to Raw with the MXR CBAMOD. By then my bud sounded great with that amp and the Xotic SP Comp which has me thinking about the AC Comp and Harlow again. :)
    Maybe just a Maxon OD808X but that is like my Green Rhino.

Others?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. jota

jota Member

TC Spark Boost (big one)

3. Named

Named Supporting Member

Honestly, a Maxon OD808. The guy I jam with most uses one into a Triple Rec, and it sounds awesome.

4. papersoul

papersoul Member

How bout the OD808X? So you only mean the 808 for leads?
    I find my Green Rhino sort of like a better TS or 808.

5. Named

Named Supporting Member

No experience with the 808X on my part. Sounds like you have the sound available to you with the Green Rhino though. But yeah, I was mentioning it in the context of a boost/drive with a mid hump, whether that be used with leads or other sections of a song where that kind of thing is called for.

6. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

VFE makes two pedals that can do that. Custom art, color options are just a little more $ FYI.

White Horse
    Is listed as a compressor BUT has a drive knob. The overdrive is pretty subtle. The level and blend (clean signal blend) both can add some boost. Now as far as mids, no control for that BUT there is a bass knob, which would let you basically boost highs and mids. Settings pictured are more or less unity for average playing dynamics. Drive all the way down, blend all the way up, level at noon would also be unity.

here is mine (far right)
    [​IMG]

I dont have one of these, but this is a klon klone clone with some added knobs.

http://www.vfepedals.com/merman.html

Has comp, boost, bass and treble, so if you roll those two off, you'd get some mid boost afaik

7. papersoul

papersoul Member

The GREEN is dark however and I also want a brighter TS like thr 808X. Maybe I will have a few different ODS and then low output pedals like the Micro Amp Plus.
    I could also just get the 3 Bogner pedals and call it a day.