Boost - complementary/stand-alone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fishcake, Apr 25, 2008.

1. fishcake

fishcake Member

hi everyone,

im hoping you could suggest to me some sort of clean boost/treble boost pedal that i could partner with an OCD to give me a bit of oomph or body to get through the mix. my OCD is set on pretty low gain (around 9 or 10, imo its the only spectrum on the gain knob that i feel is most useful) through a single channel el84 amp. id like for the boost to smooth out single notes and/or fatten them a little bit, also, add a bit of "zing" if possible. we play some blues-based rock and some more modern U2 type music in our church (which is where il be mainly using it).

any ideas on what i should get? oh and a drawback is that it shouldnt go over $200.

ive done a couple of research and found some like a Greer Sonic Boom, an Arteffect Orangen, and a Jauernig Atomic FET boy. or maybe even an RC Booster?

any other good options along that range?

2. buchla300

buchla300 Member

I actually like the EH LPB-1, but it's more a mid booster. Fattens up, but maybe no zing.
    One that does have a bit of zing is the Zoom pedal (forget the name) and it really can sound amazing, but these are more budget choices. I don't have experience of any higher end ones.

3. fishcake

fishcake Member

i tried the LPB-1, but i dont really think that was what i was looking for.

im also contemplating on getting a low gain OD, maybe something like a Red Snapper or an RC/AC booster and using that for rhythm work, and then just using my OCD as the boost itself, while adjusting the gain to taste.

any thoughts on that? would i be better off doing this or is it better to get a dedicated booster itself?

4. shaynewgreen

shaynewgreen Member

5. fishcake

fishcake Member

ok, il check that out too. by the way, is there any difference between this and the serrano picoso?