Boost/Drive for a LP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tone, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Hi guys.
    Just wondering what everyone here is using to overdrive/clean boost with their Les Pauls? I got curious after reading about Warren Haynes using the Klon Centaur. Is there anything out there that is similar, but not as pricey or hard to obtain?

:dude

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

There are alot of choices out there for a clean boost (with varying results, YMMV, etc.). I went with, of all things, a Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal set to the boost mode. It also has a "blues mode" but I liked the "boost" function (just a level control) better than anything else I tried. Fairly inexpensive (new) at $79 from MF, too, or dig around on eBay, you could find one for less.

3. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Hey Tone,

So what type of amp are you using and how clean / dirty do you set it? - that'll make quite a difference, but here's an idea anyway...

I have a Klon and it is indeed nice with a LP because it will tend to firm up the bass strings a little giving a nice punch even on the neck pickup - I like that.

I also like to use a treble booster (but usually set to mid boost) with an LP - but only if you are using your amp set to at least a crunchy base tone.

I like the BJF Little Red Trebler for this too and that would also work for cleaner amps too. Other than that, I like to crank the amp and work the guitar volume on my LP.

Chris

4. mickey69

mickey69 Member

proanalog power driver.

5. Bradders

Bradders Member

Depends on teh amp also ( did you mention the amp....?? Hmmm) ANYWAY.....

ZVEX Super Duper 2:1 or a Super Hard On with a LP and a good tube amp is KILLER!

More on the gain side, but the Mosferatu is also a great pedal for slightly over the top "hair" with a Les Paul.

Braddzz

6. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

If a light OD / boost is what you want, I really like the Barber LTD with Les Pauls.

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Zendrive or Klon. Works great for me.

8. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

With a Paul I really like the HomeBrew Germania and Germacide pedals. For a Telecaster or Stratocaster the SIB Fatdrive does it just right IMO.

9. Tone

Tone Member

Hey everyone, thanks for the suggestions and info! Sorry, forgot to mention the amp. I'm using a Mesa Stiletto. I may also be using a Fender of some sort in the future also. I have my clean channel set to pretty clean, but breaks up just a little when the guitar volume is cranked and you play hard, as long as the volume is up pretty good. Dirty channel is set to a hard rock/Classic rock type tone. Depending on the song I dial in/out the gain a bit.

For the clean channel, I would like for the boost/drive to give me a nice ballsy type sound that sustains some, and is smooth, but yet still kinda clean when you work the guitar controls. If it could go from clean and just boosting volume and punch, to a nice smooth crunch when you crank the volume on the guitar that would be cool. I don't think I want too much compression though.

For the dirty channel, I would like for it to overdrive nice and smooth. A Warren Haynes type tone would be awesome.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'll add more descriptions later if I can think of anything.

:dude

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

I've had trouble finding a single pedal to boost both channels on a two channel amp, but have found some cool stuff trying. The trick is that it has to work with both the clean sound AND not over compress the dirty sound.

I use a Rivera head and set my channels up similarly to yours. The clean channel has a little break up in it. The COT50 set to about 1:30/2:00 works brilliantly here. I can also use the pedal to push my lead channel a little bit for solos. On the lead channel it doesn't give me much more volume (if any at all), but it gives it a thicker sound and more sustain.

The best plan is probably to use two pedals, one that is maximized for each channel. Maybe a COT50 for the clean channel and some sort of clean or treble booster for the lead channel.

11. AL30

AL30 Member

I was using an AMZ Boost but sold it to a friend of mine. Not because I didn't like - he wanted it for a recording and I can always make another one. Very nice boost.

Right now I'm using a Nobels ODR-1 set up for the clean boost.

AL

12. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I know this is a kind of strange idea, but does anyone use boost / drive pedals through their effects loop? The reason I ask is that when I use a pedal on my clean channel (whether as a clean boost or for overdrive), the amp responds with a louder volume as well as more gain (as much as is dialed in on the pedal). But if you want to boost an already heavily driven gain channel, I've noticed at least on my amp, not a whole lot of change - granted I'm playing at home levels, and this may differ depending on how loud the amp is. But I tried a Timmy through the loop, and it was great in that it could boost the volume level and pile on some more gain.

I know conventional wisdom is wah, drive / distortion, +/- vibe before the amp input; time based effects like chorus, delay and reverb through the loop. But has anyone else done anything like this with good results?

(sorry to hijack)

13. Phil M

Phil M Member

Greg both ways work and you're right on with your assessments. As long as it sounds good, I think you're onto a soution for yourself. Just be careful with the level on the drive/boost pedal that you're using.

14. Tone

Tone Member

What do you guys think about a Timmy for what I described? Also, how much do new Klons usually cost, and where can I find the COT50?

Thanks!

15. Phil M

Phil M Member

Klons are over $300.

COT50s are $199 from Sean at Lovepedal.

COT50