Boost for a Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spayne99, Dec 8, 2016.

1. spayne99

spayne99 Member

I'm trying to get a fatter clean sound at low volume with my Tele and Princeton Reverb. By low volume I mean 2-3 on the amps volume knob. Will a boost fatten my sound and add some hair and harmonics without adding too much volume?

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Yeah a little boost to push the input can definitely help in that regard. Guthrie Trapp touches on this in his rig rundown at 14:51

3. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

4. NielsM

NielsM Member

EP-booster. The Pre-amp gives it a fat tone. Even with knob rolled all the way down.

5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

When my PR was working I used my Snarling Dogs VeryTone to do this. I used the plain clean boost, not one of the Varitone type settings.

Based on that, I'd guess something along the lines of the EP Booster would work well. I'd also check out the BB Preamp.

6. hamerman55

hamerman55 Silver Supporting Member

A Klone is a great boost/overdrive, but adds more sparkle and upper mids. The EP Booster is more like what I would call a fattening boost. It makes up for the mid scoop of a BF amp, but not the same as a Tube Screamer. It is a fuller sound.

LordByron and ChampReverb like this.
  7. JJO

JJO Silver Supporting Member

At that volume, I'm not sure a pure boost is going to add any hair on its own, really. An EP-style boost will thicken things up but I've found they can make things too dark with a blackface style amp, depending on settings, but are great with a Vox. Maybe a low gain OD at low settings would work better...a tweed or Supro-style OD will often give you that "thicker" feeling with a touch of hair, but some coloration. Another option would be an OD specifically designed to sound like a blackface amp--I've had really good luck with the Wampler Black '65 in front of my Princeton clone... perfect for playing at home. It can boost and add a little dirt to taste, and provides an extra eq section. I think they're out of production, but probably could be found used.

8. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

I use an RC Booster with my PR. The gain switch begins to fatten up the tone from about 8 o'clock to 2 and then adds a kind of edge of breakup tone - not really gain like an OD pedal. Another thing you can do is turn your amp up louder to get a fuller tone, and then lower the volume control on the pedal to keep your volume down. It's a very versatile, transparent pedal.

9. darkwaters

darkwaters Member

Recently picked one of these up used. With my PRRI, wow :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    LordByron and chrismellotron like this.
  10. b80

b80 Member

Ryan Adams uses an EP Booster with an SP Compressor with his Princetons. Works for him?!?!?

LordByron and MoonshineMan like this.
  11. derpsnerf

derpsnerf Member

12. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

EP Booster or Diamond Compressor (or both)

13. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

FD2 in CompCut mode. A little bump in the mids, lots of volume and girth, and a little grit with a lot of sparkle, and it won't flub out the bass.

14. b80

b80 Member

Hmm, I might change my answer.

LordByron and MoonshineMan like this.
  15. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I do like his sounds. I saw him in Santa Barbara a year or two ago. It's not what would work for me, usually, as he used a TON of reverb, but it sounds good. He probably keeps that bass control down.

LordByron likes this.
  16. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

This is a really good point. I'm changing my answer to EQD Speaker Cranker. More of an overdrive than a boost, but it really nails the sound of your amp pushed (without actually pushing the preamp too hard)

17. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I use a RC Booster as well. Such an amazing pedal, works so good with BF Fender amps!

18. Strat

Strat Member

I use a Mythical Overdrive in for of my original ' 64 PR. Works.

LordByron likes this.
  19. AndySertin

AndySertin Member

Union Tube & Transistor: MORE. Think of it as the anti-attenuator. haha

20. Banditt

Banditt Supporting Member

Rc Boost as well...get the Scott Henderson with additional channel. Works well with my Carr Viceroy..which is basically a hot rodded Princeton...