1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Boost for already high gain

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MattB, Dec 19, 2005.

1. MattB

MattB Member

Hey Guys,

I am in the market for a boost pedal to run in front of my Mark IV. Alot of tunes we play in my band are mostly high gain (esp the leads) when I go to play a lead I usually stomp on my barber but it doesnt seem to give me a decible boost just fattens up the tone and may even take away the volume when I am on the lead channel of the amp. So what I am wondering is; what boost pedal will give me a noticable volume boost so my leads will pop out in front of the mix during a gig? I don't want to necessarily color my tone. Will a clean boost work?

I am new to boost pedals so any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
    -MattB

www.delta-whiskey.com

2. el34power

el34power Member

from my experence. It seems your input is already saturated and nothing you will put there will give you volume (same problem with my 2203).
    if you can, put something in the effects loop, barber... anything really. I use a GE7 EQ in my prowler combo. Practical to dial in the tone.

good luck

3. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

your preamp is already heated up pretty good. You may consider a clean boost in your effects loop.

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

If you have a fx loop try a clean boost pedal there it will just boost your signal and nothing else, I've had good luck using a Boss GE-7 EQ in the loop just set the EQ flat and use the Gain slider for the amount of boost!

I would suggest the Barber Launch Pad which is what I use now but not in a fx loop, The bad thing about a True Bypass pedal in the loop is the the switch could give a loud pop where as the Boss is silent switching!

5. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

like the others have said, you need a boost in the fx loop for more volume

I have used in the past a cheap DOD BIFET preamp, transparant in a loop (Rivera Rake) when I used it. I wired up a jack to enable a remote on/off for it. I had it controlled via a midi 1/4 switcher box

I set it up with just a bit of level and bass boost and it was basically transparant and did a good job

6. MattB

MattB Member

Thanks for the info guys! Always a great resource. I will try a few things, I have some spare eqs kicking around and some ODs and see if I can get what I want in the loop.

-MattB

7. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

+1 on all of the above re: putting the boost in the loop. I bought an MXR micro amp for that purpose exactly, but it was replaced by my sniper mod GE-7, since that obviously has more tweakability than just a pure clean boost. If you already love your tone, and just want it louder for solos, the micro amp is great. FWIW I also tried the Nick Greer sonic boom, and it was not as nice as the MXR, muddied the sound up for anything less than high gain - but as always, YMMV. People have also raved about the RC booster in an effects loop.

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

+1000 Sea Blue Eq. It will slam an already gained out amp. I use it to goose my Connie and RSA23. Plus you can eq the boost, if needed.

9. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

I know tons of people that use an EQ in front of their amps for a boost. For one my good friend Shane of the band http://wetanimal.net!

10. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I use a Boss EQ in the EQ for a solo volume boost in a saturated amp (VHT). Works great!