Boost + OD or OD + Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bmetelits, Apr 21, 2008.

1. bmetelits

bmetelits Member

I'm getting back to playing guitar after a 6 year hiatus. There are a number of (apparently) really good pedals out there now. When I had played in a band I would sometimes chain a modified TS-10 into a Vox ValveTone to a get a really good "burning" sound for leads and slide and, also, for crunch on Dire Straits' "Money For Nothin'".

Now I see that many players have a mild OD/Clean Boost pedal and a true OD. For me, one of my OD's should get me into Dumble territory, and I'm considering Zendrive, Jetter GSR, and Ethos for that. The other OD I want is more mild like you might hear on an Eagles tune or Doobie Bros. tune.

What do you recommend and should the boost be run before or after the OD that gives the Dumble tone? (FYI, I play P-90's and HB's into an Alessandro 2x6L6 Working Dog combo).

2. bmetelits

bmetelits Member

3. suncrimson

suncrimson Member

Run the boost before your OD, it will add an edge to your tone. more smooth, and more mid range.
    If you run it after the OD, it will be a master volume function pedal.
    Try both, find out the better one.:)

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Each place serves a different function. Running the boost before the od will increase your volume slightly, but mainly increase the amount of gain in you overdrive. It is similar to turning up the gain knob on your od pedal.
    Running your boost after your od will not change the character of your overdrive much, but will boost your overall volume as much as you dial it to do.
    It depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want to step on you boost to increase your volume for leads, then after the od is best.

5. bmetelits

bmetelits Member