Boost/Od Reccomendations for JCM 800

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rob2001, Jun 28, 2006.

1. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Hi, First, i'll say hi to the FX folks, then i'll ask an age old question, Whats a good boost/Od for my Jcm 800? I've been using a modded SD-1 and I like it alot but I can't stop wondering if i'm missing somthing by not trying some boutique OD's. I have a TS 9 too but favor the SD-1 now. I use the pedal just for leadwork. I'm completly happy with my rythym sounds. So i'm lookin at..... OCD, MI Audio Blues Pro, and The Superchilli. Anyone using these types of boosts with a JCM? Reccomendations? Thanks in advance, Rob

2. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

try a Bad Monkey?

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Yep, didn't seem much different than the SD-1

4. gulliver

gulliver Member

Maybe include what sound you're going for and what JCM800 you have.

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I've been really happy using a Hotcake and then a Hotcake Bluesberry for boost-low-mid gain OD, a Hellbilly for some gritty fuzz/boost and a Hellbaby for a warm and fat mid-chunky boost. What I would recommend doing is just go ahead and buy one or two you are curious about because the boutique gear doesn't really lose much value, unless there's a good shop around that stocks some of them. I saw an OCD at Guitar Center, most regular guitar stores are more than happy to let you bring in some of your own gear (maybe not a double stack, but within reason) to try out pedals because they are aware of how different setups work differently with various pedals and such.

6. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

I'm using a JCM900 and my Keeley modded DS1 used to be my main OD/Boost but since I got my COT50, I use it less & less. The COT just sings with an already overdriven Marshall & I also have an Eternity & Timmy on the way which will likely knock my DS1 off my board. Can't wait!

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

4104, which is a combo version of a 2204. Single channel. I run a 4x12 greenback loaded cab. Main guitar is a 91' Soloist with Gibson and Lace Sensor pickups. I play hard rock and blues based stuff. Not much metal. Although I'd say the tones i'm after are remenicent of old school metal. Early Judas Priest has fantastic tone to my ears. Not high gain but thick and full with cut. I mostly use the high input and the amps gain for rythym work. Only a Teese wah and one dirt pedal in front, delay and chorus are in the loop. ( loop added). I have used the low input(clean amp) and a pedal for rythym but the high input is really far sweeter. But that does give me a great clean channel with the pedals off. If I had a few pedals that would give me the gain tones that sound like the high input, that would be best but I don't think any pedal will sound that good. I could be wrong on that though. Hard to say what i'm goin for. I guess i'm really wondering if boutique pedals are gonna give me somthing I don't already have. I don't want to spend boutique money and find out it sounds like my SD-1. The gain levels are more than I need with the SD-1 and TS-9. It's hard to describe tone and gain levels. I guess it depends who's listening. Some would say I have a medium gain and another guy would say I use too much. I'd say I prefer a medium gain for rythym. I want a pedal to give a volume boost to an already dirty crunch along with some added gain and compression for leadwork. End result being fat, smooth with good harmonics and good cut. The modded SD-1 does that but I can't help but wonder if there's somthing better. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess it will come down to just trying a bunch out for myself. That kindof blows with the prices on some of the ones i'm lookin at. Just trying to narrow it down some,. Thanks again. Rob

8. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

RC Booster. The 800 was a mighty tone, IMHO i think you just need to pummel the front end with a clean boost...or mild dirt :)

9. pala

pala Member

I tried my CAE Freddy Fuzz on my friend old JCM800 combo and we were surprised! it sounded great! as an od on clean or as a boost on dirt...

Tried my Greer Sonic Boom Booster and Sweetback Driver they sounded really good too, even both at the same time...

My final thoughts where, that particular JCM800 is a very good sounding one, for my taste donĀ“t have too much gain by itself, needs to be pushed a bit.

And that it takes pedals real good!

Pala

10. SFK

SFK Member

Tube Screamers are made for those amps.

11. el34power

el34power Member

Well. I am pretty much in the same boat. i have a 2203 head with a 4x12 loaded with 2 greenbacks on top and 2 red fangs on the bottom. I understand EXACTLY what you are saying gain/tone wise. So far here is what i have tried. High input, straight for rythms.Plus...
    Keeley SD-1 or Keeley BD-2 or Super Chili Picoso or Grey DOD clone, Yellow DOD250 (both DOD's with added diode Clipping stage), Crunch box, Blues pro, Goodie Crsytal boost, Solid gold soundlabs Ultimate LPB, Barber LTD, OCD, TS808 clone for solos......as you can see i tried a few..
    My conclusion. If you run the pre dimmed with powerefull pick ups, you are out of headroom. What ever pedal no matter how low gain/high volume it is said to be will NOT give you a good volume boost, only add gain and even congestion.
    So at the moment i use the low input, with either the crunch box witch, i feel is so damn near the gain stage of the JCM800 it's fantastic. And even the blues pro sounds fantastic threw it.
    Then add whatever pedal i have metionned above for the lead boost.....(exept the Blues pro that has too much gain to couple it with the CB). Your SD-1 would do i nice job here. As far as yous SD-1 goes. Here is the guy's site who made me the Grey DOD clone, Ultimate LPB, Moded my SD-1 and Yellow DOD (the pedals you see are actually mine).
    http://www.geocities.com/solid_gold_soundlabs/home.html
    The SD-1 pepper mod is fantastic threw the JCM800 in either the low or high input.
    Few that was long:D

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've gotten good results from a Mosferatu (3 knob) and a Barber Burn Unit for sustaining leads. Also really like the Zim for it's flexibility.

13. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

The old TC booster/dist is a deadly weapon coupled with a 2203. Better than anything else I tried.

14. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Keeley Time Machine boost. It will give you a great clean boost and the treble boost side will give you the Judas Priest tones.

15. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I love a good Germanium boost for British flavoured amps. I use the Addrock Boostmaster for this with my 20 watt plexi clone and the Aiken Sabre with undeniabely great results.

16. dave s

dave s Member

Rob:

totally understand. You are using your JCM800 the same way as me. Low input to get a good solid clean tone and using pedals to get what you need.

The good news is that JCM800s are incredibly pedal-friendly amps, as I'm sure you already know.

Here's my pedal rec for you: MI Audio Crunch Box. It'll do everything from mild OD to singing leads to sustaining/searing solos to that break-into-beautiful harmonic-feedback-at-will gain settings.

It's around $100 so it won't break the bank either!

dave

17. jj jafar

jj jafar Member

I use a Eternity with the gain set low,the treble boost about half and the volume a little past unity.With the 800's pre-gain at about 5 its tone heaven!Also use a Diamond compressor to slightly boost and slightly smooth out my signal.Frickin smoking tone.
    Of course I modded my 800 with a PTP board,Heyboer trannies and lowered the the pre-amp filtering,so that has a alot to do with it.

[​IMG]

Jason

18. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Thanks, now I for sure have some ideas. I should say sorry too considering how many threads there are about OD's but this was very amp specific. I actually have 2 jcm 800's and they react very differently to pedals. I also have a 2205 model. Very different compared to the 4104. Anyhow, thanks for the observations. I've got a few in mind that I want to get right away. But as always i'll have to get 10 to settle on 2! Rob