Boost/OD With Compression vs Boost/OD Without Compression

jumpnblues

How will a compression pedal ahead of a boost/OD pedal affect my tone? Will the compression pedal enhance my tone? How?

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
I find using a compressor before dirt allows you to run dirt/overdrive pedals "cleaner" and still get that type of sustain and tone similar to like you'd get with the amp's volume way up. Kind of like an AC/DC type of drive where there's a distorted tone, but it still reads as clean.

Using a boost pedal alone, you get a significant volume jump, but the notes distort and compress heavily on the attack and die off too quickly. Using a dirt/overdrive pedal alone, in order to get the needed sustain & compression like you'd get with a cranked amp, it requires an increase in the distortion/clipping of the pedal. Then the tone is often too distorted and unnatural.

Judicious use of a compressor before an OD/boost allows the notes to stay in the sweet spot longer without the accompanying added distortion that goes with increasing the gain of the OD pedal.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
I find using a compressor before dirt allows you to run dirt/overdrive pedals "cleaner" and still get that type of sustain and tone similar to like you'd get with the amp's volume way up. Kind of like an AC/DC type of drive where there's a distorted tone, but it still reads as clean.

Using a boost pedal alone, you get a significant volume jump, but the notes distort and compress heavily on the attack and die off too quickly. Using a dirt/overdrive pedal alone, in order to get the needed sustain & compression like you'd get with a cranked amp, it requires an increase in the distortion/clipping of the pedal. Then the tone is often too distorted and unnatural.

Judicious use of a compressor before an OD/boost allows the notes to stay in the sweet spot longer without the accompanying added distortion that goes with increasing the gain of the OD pedal.
What kind of compressor do you use @Fireball XL5 ?

jamester

Silver Supporting Member
I also feel that comp before drive gives me a little more usable range on the guitar's volume knob. A more even sweep down to about seven on the dial, without the comp it's a more abrupt sweep/cut off at eight on the dial.

Not a huge difference, but a bit smoother.

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
What kind of compressor do you use @Fireball XL5 ?
I just use a basic Boss CS-3 and set it for minimal effect. I've owned and tried a fair number of other compressors (still own a few of them), but for my needs and how I run them the CS-3 works great for me.

Trending Topics