boost or cut circuit in guitar

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by phild, Sep 21, 2008.

1. phild

phild Member

I have an LP that I want to go to a single master volume and change the other volume over to a boost switch (or knob so i looks the same), for solos, (I'm already down to a master tone control and a variable split control for the other two). I think a boost circuit would require some power - ie battery, though a cut of a few decibels would accomplish the same task and could be passive, but a boost would maybe hit the amp a bit harder which would be nice. Does anyone know of some simple circuits that would fit in an LP control cavity and accomplish either a boost or cut?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

there are plenty of boost options, all of which require a battery and many of which change the non-boosted tone, mostly by making the guitar an "active" instrument.

you already have a cut device, it's called the volume knob.

3. phild

phild Member

Yeah except the volume is a variable cut - and I think I would rather build a few boost circuits to try out anyway as changing the tone is not always a bad thing. If any one knows of any diagrams available online I would appreciate any help.

4. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

villex makes a passive booster

5. walterw

the laws of physics say that there is no such thing.

i think the villex does some kind of e.q. trick that focuses the available energy in a narrow area, maybe giving more drive in a certain midrange band while chopping off the bass and treble.

6. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

7. phild

phild Member

8. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

true, there is no overall energy increase in a passive circuit, so, the energy gets narrowed in frequency and becomes louder within the narrower frequency range. I have a Villex booster in my Tom Anderson Classic (Strat) and it is nice for a slight fattening-up for leads and thickening the neck pickup sounds for rhythm.

9. stan p

stan p Member

Unless he is using the energy that is dissipated without any use .. that may be the magnetic field created by the pickups?

10. stan p

stan p Member

Demeter fat boost?
    THis is used in the Tylers I believe.
    There are also preamps by Alembic, Bartolini, and a company run by a guy that designed the original ALembic pramp.

11. stan p

stan p Member

I heard about a design when the boost circuit is built into jack ot the patch cable.

12. phild

phild Member

Has anyone tried any of these onboard boosts? If so, which ones and what's your opinion of it?

13. phild

phild Member

I have decided to build an AMZ mini-booster into my guitar: http://www.muzique.com/amz/mini.htm

Apparently a lot of boutique pedal builders have "borrowed" this circuit for their own use. More info here:
    http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=69&Itemid=26

This circuit is small enough that I can make it about the size of a 9 volt battery, which will also be needed to power it. To keep the size down I am going to forgo the use of a circuit board. Then I will wire it to a push pull pot, for on/off and amount of boost and replace one of my volumes with it and just go with a master volume.

I ordered the parts yesterday (a grand total of $4) and I'll wire it up and try it before installing it to see if it is something I am actually going to like/use.

I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested.

14. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

15. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

16. Denny

Denny Member

I have an EMG PA2 and it is really good, quiet and easy to install. Uses a 9v battery and the battery life is pretty long too. also uses a switchable jack - everything needed for an install comes with it. I'm now in the process of putting one in almost all of my guitars. Don't need on footswitch anymore!!!! AND - it's adjustable w/ a trimpot. Go for it!!! If you don't like it, I'll take it.

D.

17. walterw

there ya go.

the afterburner is the same circuit built into a push-pull pot, so that the boost level is adjustable on the fly.

both of these gizmos give the guitar an active low-impedance output even when switched off, so fuzz players may not like them.

18. packermann

packermann Member

I have tried the EMG PA2 as well. You can custom order this with a toggle, push-pull or always on configuration (all with adjustable mini trim pot to adjust the amount of boost). I have to say I ended up going back to a standard passive set up. The low impedance output made my fuzz sound bad and I think the signal added some noise even at unity gain. Although the external pedal is a pain, I think it is the most flexible option.

19. Denny

Denny Member

phild - if you don't like it, I'll buy it as long as it isn't "boogered" LOL