Boost or Fuzz??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by UconnJack, Dec 6, 2005.

1. UconnJack

UconnJack Supporting Member

Looking for a pedal to get along with my VHT Deliverance. I want to dial the amp in to an aggressive clean, verge of break-up sound, then goose it with something to give me some crunch and distorted tones.

I'm thinking bout the Beano or Java Boost and/or the Sunface or Fuzz Head. I have seen the Sunlion which I guess would cover all cases, but I think that might be overkill at the moment.

Appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks,
    UJ

2. Devi Ever

Devi Ever Guest

3. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

A fuzz might not interface too well with that type of amp.
    I never could get the best out of them through the clean/crunch channel of my SLO-100.

Maybe a COT50 would be a good one to check into.

Randy

4. UconnJack

If I go boost (Treble Booster), does anyone have a preference between a Java Boost or Beano Boost?

5. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Look into a lovepedal twin60.

6. UconnJack

I already have the FDII Mosfet. I'm thinking these two would be similar. I'm not really looking for a clean boost. More of a gritty boost or fuzz to dirty up my already driven tone.

Appreciate the suggestions so far.

7. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Get a TIM, the boost mode is very gritty, it has a pull out knob that changes thing alot. The regular switch is a drive that dosent chang yor eq. The TIM is the best pedal i ever used.

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Tonefactor Hellbilly... it's a germanium transistor unit, with silicon transistors for the output regulation... turn the tone knob all the way to the left and it functions like a fuzz face. turn it to the right and the circuit is a rangemaster treble booster. I love mine, the tone knob sounds great about anywhere.... they are only $120 at http://www.tonefactor.com

The Hellbaby boost is a nice op-amp booster accentuating the mids with a "boost" knob for gain. They work really nicely together.

-Steve

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

I have a SunLion, the beano boost side may be what you are looking for. The sun face side spanks hard!

Look for a beano, it may be what you want.

10. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

I would consider a Rangemaster clone or a Colorsound Overdriver clone.

There are many good makers out their with their own take on these circuits.

Here is a link to some clips of my take on these circuits. All clips are done with the same amp and guitars. www.throbak.com

My clones differ in that I have added an external bias adjustment to the Strange Master and I have added a Pre Gain switch and a switchable germanium modification to the Overdrive Boost.

11. AaeCee

AaeCee Member