Boost or low-gain OD with options for sustain/compression, drive/dirt and versatile voicing?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phosphenetre, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

I've been looking for a pedal to do a very specific thing for a while now - boost my clean and driven tones, to add anything ranging from relatively clean sustain and compression to mild drive, with a good amount of tonal/EQ tweakability to go with it. I like my base clean tone and the drive I get from my pedals, but I'm looking for something that can take these sounds and add sustain, the option of more dirt, and smoothen and fatten things a bit.

It sounds like I'm describing some sort of hybrid boost/compression pedal, with a versatile EQ section. On one hand, I know that TS-808-based pedals do a good job boosting an existing tone with some gain, compression and pushed mids, but I'm not sure they're versatile enough to add some transparent compression without dirt, for sustain more drive. On the other hand, most compressor pedals seem to not be able to dial in some dirt to go with what they already do, and I don't think I'm looking for any sort of dramatic compression anyway - just sustain, smoothening and thickness.

Any suggestions for a pedal that accomplishes these things? I've noticed the Bogner Harlow Boost/Compressor, but the boost seems mostly clean with no separate option to add a bit of its own dirt. I'd also like some more EQing options, to be able to dial in a more TS-like mid emphasis for when I need it.

I've also had an eye on the Chellee Odie Classic for a while, but I'm not sure it can bring in enough compression and sustain without having to push the drive up to the point where the base tone gets too much dirt.

Is there anything out there that can do these things well, with enough versatility to work well with both clean and driven base tones?

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

3. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

See if you can find a VFE Merman. It breaks the Klon into its constituent parts, so you've got independent compression, treble, semi-parametric mids and bass control. Oh, and drive. :p -E

4. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

Very, very interesting! I'm going to look into this.

I will never forgive Peter for discontinuing almost all his pedals. Criminal.

Holzar88 and Jet Age Eric like this.
  5. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

6. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Boost-wise...

Sex Drive, Harlow, Spark, others...

Drive-wise...

Model G - can go to medium gain - run it at 18V

7. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

It seems to have gone out of fashion here, but I use the Bogner Blue in exactly the way the OP describes. Excellent pedal for this sort of thing.

8. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

People suggesting low-gain drives, how capable of these pedals of serving up sustain and compression without dirtying up a clean tone? I know this is basically a job for a compressor and not a drive pedal, but what I'm looking for is something that can do that and also add some gain and saturation, to push already driven sounds and pedals to higher gain levels as well.

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

VFE White Horse, MOSFET preamp/drive+bass roll off that you can blend with a optical comp, then blend that with your clean through sound. What your asking for is exactly why I love this pedal.

Kingsley Page is also marvelous, just a hint of real tube compression and grit.

Both of these set after my harder drives and add more fullness, grit and sustain.

Others to look at that I've never tried are Friedman Sir-Compre and Tech21 BoostComp. Tech21 doesn't have a dirt control but that presence and tone should be able to bring forward any grit that's already there.

10. eknapier

eknapier Member

11. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

12. Pazz

Pazz Member

I hear a lot of folks getting results like that from a fuzz with the guitar volume rolled back. I'm not a fuzz guy, but I know my distortions and ODs can get that extra sustain but not too much "grit" by rolling the volume back.

Any fuzz fanatics care to explain??

13. crackbass

crackbass Member

I've found that what you're after is very rig dependent. That said, a pedal I've found to work with some of my amps is the Donner Boost Killer. Super cheap and might surprise you.

14. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. I'm looking through all of the suggestions and checking if they fit my requirements on paper and actually sound good doing it, in demos and from user impressions and reviews.

It seems like there's a VFE pedal for nearly every conceivable drive/dynamics application. Peter is a genius, I can't forgive him for discontinuing all his pedals. The White Horse and the Friedman Sir-Compre both look promising, even though they're both designed to be compressors primarily. I've been jonesing for something Friedman for a while now. Time to look up reviews and forum threads!

15. Devilinside

Devilinside Member

I've got a practically new Chellee ponyboy v2 I'll sell cheap if anyone's interested.