Boost Pedal: Fat Boost, etc?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TSkyisCrying, Apr 21, 2007.

1. TSkyisCrying

TSkyisCrying Member

I'm in the market for a good clean booster to put me over the top during distorted solos, but will also be able to jump up the game in clean. I've been looking at the Fulltone Fat Boost as well as the Xotic Effects RC Booster.

Any help you can give would be awesome.

2. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi try the Super Chili Picoso and your search is over, I have it and use it for boosting my leads works perfect.
    Peace Strat58

3. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

keeley katana boost adds boost with volume knob ushed in or boosts with little grit with volume knob pushed out adding alot of color and harmonic complexity with the dirty channell on your amp or pushing a od/distortion type pedal

4. tuna

tuna Member

I had the opportunity to A/B a Fat Boost and an RC Booster. Fat Boost is a really cool pedal, uses FET's and makes that scratching sound when you click the different positions. The tone knob is pretty small and hard to adjust (to me). I ended up with the RC Booster mostly because it has separate Bass, Treble controls and Gain controls. Also to my ears is very transparent does not seem to color your tone.

5. sparky_8

sparky_8 Member

Had the Fatboost and sold it. It's a great pedal but not really a clean boost at all which is what I was looking for. Going to buy the Keeley soon. The fatboost breaks up a lot to me. Good bluesy overdrive type sound though.

6. plagtr2

plagtr2 Silver Supporting Member

Really LOVE my Durham Sex Drive! I have had pedals come & go, but this one is a keeper. Gives you a bit more of what you allready have--with a little "beef" to it. Not alot of color, just a "MORE" pedal if that makes sense. Worth a look for sure.

7. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Well, there are only a GAZILLION choices! I'd try an MXR micro amp to see if a clean boost is what you are after. There are better ones but the micro is a decent pedal to be had on the cheap.

8. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

Pro Analog Dual Drive

9. Thazy

Thazy Member

Tone Factor Copperhead.

10. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Sweetsound Habenero...

11. teleus52

teleus52 Member

MI Audio Boost "n" Buff for me.:drool

12. mprvise

mprvise Member

Another vote for the RC Booster. Got one recently and I'm pretty sure it will be a fixture on my board for quite a while. Using it on a gig for the first time here in about an hour and a half.

13. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

+1... great pedal! :AOK

14. Sitamoia50

Sitamoia50 Member

When I was looking for the same thing, an electro harmonix LPB-1 was suggested to me and it is a now an integral part of my board/sound. Oh yeah, great price also.

15. davidp158

davidp158 Member

I had an early version Fat Boost, and it was a fairly neutral, almost clinical, clean boost. I think Mike made the mistake of comparing the Fat Boost to the Klon, and was then pressured to revise the Fat Boost to have more gain and color. Consequently, the newer versions are different.

I sold my Fat Boost after getting the RC Booster. I feel the RC Booster has way more character, which I prefer. I borrowed a friend's Fulltone OCD, and liked it, but it had a rather bright, strident color to it that I didn't care for. These days, I'm back to my Klon Centaur as a clean boost. People love to bash the Klon, due to the hype and stupid price, but it works for me.

If your amp is on the verge of breakup, I feel that just about ANY clean boost pedal will do most of what you're after. If your amp is set clean, a clean boost probaly won't give you "over the top distortion" AND a clean boost. There are plenty of two mode pedals (Zvex Box Of Rock, Fultone Fulldrive, the upcoming Xotic BB Plus, and a bazillion others) that may be better suited to your needs. I prefer separate pedals for clean and distortion sounds, but they cost more and take up more room on my pedalboard. Ultimately, you'll just have to buy and try a few to find out what works best for YOU. Fortunately, you can usually sell pedals for what you pay for them, so you'll lose more time than money in the process.

I have to mention that I have always found overdrive and distortion pedals to be more gratifying when my amp is turned up a bit. Be realistic with your expectations, and have fun with the search.

good luck,
    Dave

16. gregory49

gregory49 Member

im getting the RC booster... and i want the exact same thing as you do!

17. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

I have both. The FB is more colored, less transparent. It takes a bite out of your bass. It's fat, which I like (like the name says) and has some nice grit if you turn up the gain. It's a very nice, musical pedal.

The RC is more transparent. The EQ is nice for tone shaping. Doesn't add fat like the FB. If you crank the gain it's great for crunchy rhythm and sounds very amp-like.

But the Klon beats them all. I've got all 3 on my board for various purposes.

18. gregory49

gregory49 Member

for solo boosts the Klon is better?

19. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

The Tonefactor Creme Pie Deluxe, and Copper Head!