Boost Pedal for Blues

CBGNick

So just a quick overview of what I am looking for. I Like to keep my pedals relatively simple. I'm in a blues rock band so I don't really need a lot of over the top effects. Clean or dirty is about it and the dirty should not really be "dirty" as much as overdrive with a bit of grit.

I do NOT like the way my tone sounds if I dial back the volume knob on any of my guitars. So I have been using an MXR Micro Amp to give me a volume boost when it comes time for lead breaks. But I want to find something better that doesn't dirty up my clean sound and can still boost my dirty sound when I have my Tube Screamer engaged.

I have read about compressors but not sure that is the way I want to go as I live off of the dynamics of how I pick and pluck. I have thought about the Bogner Harlow v2, which seems to to do a fantastic job of boosting without screwing up the tone. I have also read about J. Rockett Audio Designs Archer Overdrive and Boost pedal, but have mixed thoughts on using that one as it is just basically dialing down the gain all the way. And then back to the compressor route with a Keeley Compressor Plus, which again, I'm not sure that is the best direction to go with my playing style.

Curious as to what others use in a similar type situation playing blues.

EDIT: forgot to add that I am running a Strat through a Quilter 101 and a Vintage 30 speaker.

Last edited:

CBGNick

I guess I should make it clear that I want to boost my clean sound as well, not just the Tube Screamer. So solos without overdrive need to be boosted.

MrSage

JHS Clover might hit the spot. Or just about any clean booster.

What doesn't the micro amp do that you wish it did?

Sparadrap

Looks like @PatrickE_FenderADV hypnotised many people here about the Blues Driver :)

The question here is a little tricky: looking for a clean boost, like clean boost city?
Usual suspects: BD-2, Timmy, Katana, etc.

Those can generate no clipping on their own, but the signal can go into clipping before, or after those (cascading gain stages). So maybe you should check the whole signal path.

Alternatively you can check the wiring of your guitar's knobs. Maybe there's something wrong there.

CBGNick

JHS Clover might hit the spot. Or just about any clean booster.

What doesn't the micro amp do that you wish it did?
My clean sound doesn't come out as clean as I would like with it. Comes out loud and just a wee bit raunchy, which isn't bad, but not what I want in my strictly clean sound.

CBGNick

Looks like @PatrickE_FenderADV hypnotised many people here about the Blues Driver :)

The question here is a little tricky: looking for a clean boost, like clean boost city?
Usual suspects: BD-2, Timmy, Katana, etc.

Those can generate no clipping on their own, but the signal can go into clipping before, or after those (cascading gain stages). So maybe you should check the whole signal path.

Alternatively you can check the wiring of your guitar's knobs. Maybe there's something wrong there.
Well, I would think something with the knob wiring if it wasn't for the fact that it does it with all three of my electrics I play live with (two Strats and an LP copy).

I wonder if changing power would clear some of the clean sound up? I have right now 4 pedals and a tune in-line. all are true bypass. Order is tuner, Vox Wah, Tube Screamer, Micro Amp, Reverb, then on to the Quilter. I am using a OneSpot to power them.

Trending Topics