Boost Pedal for Blues

Albion9

Maybe try 2 Tube Screamers, one set low for clean boost and one with more gain for leads. Seems I heard some dude from Texas used to do this.

LikeAMotherF

Gold Supporting Member
So, there's two things going on here, if I understand correctly.

OP doesn't seem well-versed in the terms that generally used for effects pedals, and it appears he is looking for something that will simply raise the volume without adding any gain. OP, this is typically referred to as a "clean boost".

There's lots of them out there. The TC Spark seems to be a good option. The Analogman Bad Bob is also very good at this. There's the Fulltone 2B. All of these should do what you want.

If you put it after your Tube Screamer, when your Tube Screamer is on and you engage the clean boost, it should raise the volume without it getting any more raunchy. But let me be clear on this- it really depends on how you have your TS set up and how much headroom your amp has.

When your TS is not engaged, a clean boost will raise the volume of your clean sound without adding any gain or grit to your signal. Again, this is as long as your amp is set for enough headroom. I assume it is. But if you have it set up so the preamp is almost maxed out and you're getting a decent amount of breakup from the preamp alone, sometimes a clean boost can't make the volume louder because the preamp is already as loud as it goes.

But if you already have everything set up so that your Micro Amp is raising the volume with or without your Tube Screamer, then you should be all set already.

The other thing I noticed is that you said you don't like the way your guitars sound when you roll back the volume. I'm guessing it's because your tone loses a good amount of the bite and clarity when you turn the volume knob down? If so, this can be addressed with either a treble bleed added to your wiring (which is a very simply modification) and for your LP copy you can do a treble bleed or something called "50's style wiring". That's *if* you're interested in trying to get your volume knobs to react a little differently.

jazzguitarfan

Gold Supporting Member
I like the Blue Note as well for this and better than most of the Klon/klone type pedals (haven't tried the Archer). Even with the gain at 2 o'clock (assuming one is using the low gain setting if it's the big one), there is only a little bit of grit. Otherwise, you could try a pure boost like the EP Booster, etc., although that one seems to impart a bit more low end. The Blue Note's EQ is flexible that you won't notice an EQ change at all. Otherwise, maybe the other Xotic stuff (AC or RC) might be worth a look, have great EQs and you can dial out most of the grit and they have a lot of boost on tap. I think the RC would be the cleanest.

Voodoo Soul Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Personally I would not go the compressor route......
I would use a Bogner Wessex or a Barber Direct Drive compact.
I own and use them both and I play blues using a Strat.
Both of these pedals excel at just adding a little bit of grit and improving touch sensitivity.....but they can be totally clean if you want.
They both have very usable (musical) tone controls.....the Wessex is a bit warmer with less gain on tap and the Direct Drive has a bit more gain and maybe a bit less compression.
They both sound great with Strats....and have what feels like tube compression (subtle)......which I much prefer to an actual compressor pedal.

CBGNick

I run an EQ in the fx loop for a boost, that should give you a pure volume increase no matter what dirt (or clean) you’re running into the front of the amp.
My head definitely has an effects loop, so maybe this is the best alternative. I'm going to start looking into EQ's, any suggestions?

GeeDub

Platinum Supporting Member
You can find a used Fulltone Fat Boost 3 (FB-3) for around $65 or slightly higher + shipping on Reverb. I have just rotated mine onto my large board for boost duties. It sounds good on its own as a boost or low gain od, into other overdrives, and into my RevivalDrive Custom, RevivalTrem and MAGMA57. I forgot how good this thing sounds. To me, it is a great inexpensive boost on the used market at present. It also runs on 9-18v dc. I use it primarily as a boost and prefer it at 18v because it’s cleaner, louder, and more dynamic. Others may prefer to run it a 9v.

ndavis1971

I think the Kingsley Page and Prince of Tone are the best boosts/mild OD out there. Pretty Transparent with just the right amount of color and natural tone.

PhuzzphayzZ

That is exactly my concern with it.
In that case, I did the TS, BD2, BlueNote compare, and, BlueNote is obviously a SwissArmy knife by comparison. The other two I would only ever use with Gain@'0', and, between them, I find the TS a superior product... and I mean that in the sense of a tool, which really these things are, and that's what's being asked here.

Look up my 'Bluesy Blues Pedal' Thread that led to my BlueNote purchase... but, I personally am ridiculously tickled by it- it's 'Open', and I'm free to color it anyway I choose. I notice JRAD has some kind of 'Fat' thing on every pedal, lol... here it really sneaks up under your fingers until it overtakes them. I have Treble cranked (for a change) and 'Fat' @Noon, Gain@9:00... that way, the 'Hot' switch toggles between two sweet spots.

And I thought 'Hot' switches were an eye-roller, but I love this one. Just some fat sizzle.

Just had it going into the Keeley OxbloodGe (Boost), rolled the guitar Tone down,... uh boy, sweet butter jam... Tallyman Reverb.... and my amp's Boost and it's the definition of 'sick'Tone... just-so breakup, blabla...

cigarette?

Since others are mentioning EP Preamps, I also had mine on, just a smidge moar flavor

Blueser

Gold Supporting Member
Any idea where to get one? I've checked Amazon, Sweetwater, AMS, Musicians Friend, etc... nothing
@CBGNick
Check reverb. I have the dual channel on my board and just picked up a single channel (Gladio SC) from Amelia Island Guitars, via Reverb, for a smaller board.

ndavis1971

One thing I forgot is an EQ pedal like the boss. XTS and others make it with a mid range mod. If you really want a boost and tone sculptor in one pedal, that’s a serious contender. And it’s cheap. Just get the clean mod a la Mike’s Mods or the midrange mod.

bobcs71

So almost everything suggested here provides more grit/dirt/drive than an MXR Micro Amp.

As one post said, have the Tube Screamer first in your chain and the Micro Boost second.

Is your clean sound getting dirty with just the Micro Boost and the TS off? If so, what guitar are you using & how is the amp set?

Trending Topics