• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Boost Pedal for Blues

Snorktop

Xotic boosts are just awesome. The Fulltone 2B is special. The Analogman Bad Bob is excellent. The Klon ( or clone?) is amazing as a clean boost, as its the only pedal I've ever played which truly doesn't alter the sound of the amp.

BK Butler's Tube Driver (especially with a vintage tube in it) is amazing. You won't find a pedal more versatile. Amazing range, amazing EQ. Go from clean boost to flat out fuzz.

OotMagroot

Get an Analogman TS-9 with built in Bad Bob boost. The boost is after the TS. So, not only can you make the TS louder, you can also use the Bad Bob to independently slam the front end of your amp.

A BD-2 is a great option as well.

For blues I've been using a Klone as of late. When I turn my guitar volume down it does offer a nice sounding clean tone.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Menatone Red Snapper does the grit thing from low to medium gain with great eq controls with the bite and hi cut knobs.

D.C.Dacey

I own a decibelics golden horse (handmade Klon COPY). And it is a wonderful transparent boost. I also own a Mosky golden horse ($20 On eBay).There’s a comparison on YouTube and it’s said that the $20 Mosky is the closset thing next to the decibelic. Ya for $20 it beat out the EH soul food, euphoria and a few others. Everyone should own this cheap and great sounding pedal. That said, using a compressor will diminish your dynamics considerably. A compressor is used to make things like harmonics on the clean channel sound just as loud as the low E string. i like the BD-2W also. You might also consider an Anologman king of tone. If you don’t wanna spend 6 or 7 hundred dollars, there’s a company called 68 pedals and they sell a remarkably similar looking version. Meaning the inside looks just like the real thing ($85 on eBay.) the dod looking glass is really cool too. It’s a different sort of pedal. It almost makes my clean sound “better”. Rock on -This is Don

Arc

So just a quick overview of what I am looking for. I Like to keep my pedals relatively simple. I'm in a blues rock band so I don't really need a lot of over the top effects. Clean or dirty is about it and the dirty should not really be "dirty" as much as overdrive with a bit of grit.

I do NOT like the way my tone sounds if I dial back the volume knob on any of my guitars. So I have been using an MXR Micro Amp to give me a volume boost when it comes time for lead breaks. But I want to find something better that doesn't dirty up my clean sound and can still boost my dirty sound when I have my Tube Screamer engaged.

I have read about compressors but not sure that is the way I want to go as I live off of the dynamics of how I pick and pluck. I have thought about the Bogner Harlow v2, which seems to to do a fantastic job of boosting without screwing up the tone. I have also read about J. Rockett Audio Designs Archer Overdrive and Boost pedal, but have mixed thoughts on using that one as it is just basically dialing down the gain all the way. And then back to the compressor route with a Keeley Compressor Plus, which again, I'm not sure that is the best direction to go with my playing style.

Curious as to what others use in a similar type situation playing blues.

EDIT: forgot to add that I am running a Strat through a Quilter 101 and a Vintage 30 speaker.
If you want to boost what’s there already - Katana or mini Katana. Clean boost. Put it in front of the Tubescreamer if you want to nudge the dirt a bit or after to amplify your exact tone.

Greer Lightspeed is also an amazing pedal that will lay right over your current tone and boost or enhance.

Kyberjay

Just received my “Blessed Mother” yesterday and love it!!! It might be exactly what you are looking for...it has the ability to mix your dry (clean) signal back into the mix after the distortion has been added...lots of texture here.. it’s a tad pricey (220$) but it’s going to be an always on pedal for me...

piazzi

IMO, TC Elec Spark Booster is a really versatile pedal, especially for no-gain to mid-gain situations. It also pairs with other pedals for higher gain or different gain character.

EQD Westwood Translucent Drive is also a verey capable pedal

they both have well voiced Treble and Bass knobs

Reilly87

Silver Supporting Member
One pedal that is always part of my board for many years is the Blackstone Appliances. Having two channels I use one as a boost and the other for heavier grit. Very clean and doesn't color the signal the way others do

MikeP86

The T.C electronic spark/spark mini is a cool option, they're inexpensive, can add some volume boost, a little grit, and high end to push your solos through the mix.

Sikstringking

So just a quick overview of what I am looking for. I Like to keep my pedals relatively simple. I'm in a blues rock band so I don't really need a lot of over the top effects. Clean or dirty is about it and the dirty should not really be "dirty" as much as overdrive with a bit of grit.

I do NOT like the way my tone sounds if I dial back the volume knob on any of my guitars. So I have been using an MXR Micro Amp to give me a volume boost when it comes time for lead breaks. But I want to find something better that doesn't dirty up my clean sound and can still boost my dirty sound when I have my Tube Screamer engaged.

I have read about compressors but not sure that is the way I want to go as I live off of the dynamics of how I pick and pluck. I have thought about the Bogner Harlow v2, which seems to to do a fantastic job of boosting without screwing up the tone. I have also read about J. Rockett Audio Designs Archer Overdrive and Boost pedal, but have mixed thoughts on using that one as it is just basically dialing down the gain all the way. And then back to the compressor route with a Keeley Compressor Plus, which again, I'm not sure that is the best direction to go with my playing style.

EDIT: forgot to add that I am running a Strat through a Quilter 101 and a Vintage 30 speaker.
I just bought a Duellist from Jesse Davey. Believe me when I tell you it’s the best pedal I’ve ever had. I’ve got a double trouble, I’ve got a king of tone by analogman, 30 th anniversary tube screamer, a BB clean boost. And the duelist blows all of them out of the water. I’ve also got a blues power from Jesse davey on the way so we’ll see how that compares as well. DUELLIST, please get one! You will thank me, and yourself for getting one I promise you.

CCG

I use my Keeley compressor Plus all the time, it does a great job boosting the tone. Honestly I leave it on all the time and play with my guitar volume at around 3-5 and use my volume knob as the boost function and that will give it a bit more dirt but I also have a Spark mini boost on my board if I need that extra DB.

analogic

If you want to boost what’s there already - Katana or mini Katana. Clean boost. Put it in front of the Tubescreamer if you want to nudge the dirt a bit or after to amplify your exact tone.

Greer Lightspeed is also an amazing pedal that will lay right over your current tone and boost or enhance.
I have been wanting to try the Lightspeed as a boost—currently using a Katana, but am interested in seeing what adding a little more gain on the fly would do for me. Can a Lightspeed operate as a completely flat boost like the Katana?

BDUbs

My head definitely has an effects loop, so maybe this is the best alternative. I'm going to start looking into EQ's, any suggestions?

I love my Source Audio EQ2. It has an output knob that will get you up to 12db of clean boost. It also has stereo and split capabilities so you could us it to EQ you over all sound or maybe just the Tube Screamer or both.

spi

A lot people are suggesting overdrives. When I read the OPs post, it sounds like he has his OD covered by using a tube screamer, and is asking for a clean boost in front of it. Maybe something like the Xotic Super Clean fits the bill.

Trending Topics