• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Boost Pedal for Blues

CuriousG

I use the Xotic EP boost for just this purpose. There are dip switches inside if you do not want the low end emphasized, through I know many who use it just for the low end sound. In any case, the clean boost is pristine and always tamable.

Ndaxe

So just a quick overview of what I am looking for. I Like to keep my pedals relatively simple. I'm in a blues rock band so I don't really need a lot of over the top effects. Clean or dirty is about it and the dirty should not really be "dirty" as much as overdrive with a bit of grit.

I do NOT like the way my tone sounds if I dial back the volume knob on any of my guitars. So I have been using an MXR Micro Amp to give me a volume boost when it comes time for lead breaks. But I want to find something better that doesn't dirty up my clean sound and can still boost my dirty sound when I have my Tube Screamer engaged.

I have read about compressors but not sure that is the way I want to go as I live off of the dynamics of how I pick and pluck. I have thought about the Bogner Harlow v2, which seems to to do a fantastic job of boosting without screwing up the tone. I have also read about J. Rockett Audio Designs Archer Overdrive and Boost pedal, but have mixed thoughts on using that one as it is just basically dialing down the gain all the way. And then back to the compressor route with a Keeley Compressor Plus, which again, I'm not sure that is the best direction to go with my playing style.

Curious as to what others use in a similar type situation playing blues.

EDIT: forgot to add that I am running a Strat through a Quilter 101 and a Vintage 30 speaker.
Give a compressor pedal a try I think you will like it. Once I tried it I thought where have you been all me life lol.

Linkslover

Love my Digitech Screamin` Blue pedal. Give me just a little bit of gain without getting all fuzzy. Inexpensive too.

LINKSLOVER

stratocat63

Gold Supporting Member
So just a quick overview of what I am looking for. I Like to keep my pedals relatively simple. I'm in a blues rock band so I don't really need a lot of over the top effects. Clean or dirty is about it and the dirty should not really be "dirty" as much as overdrive with a bit of grit.

I do NOT like the way my tone sounds if I dial back the volume knob on any of my guitars. So I have been using an MXR Micro Amp to give me a volume boost when it comes time for lead breaks. But I want to find something better that doesn't dirty up my clean sound and can still boost my dirty sound when I have my Tube Screamer engaged.

I have read about compressors but not sure that is the way I want to go as I live off of the dynamics of how I pick and pluck. I have thought about the Bogner Harlow v2, which seems to to do a fantastic job of boosting without screwing up the tone. I have also read about J. Rockett Audio Designs Archer Overdrive and Boost pedal, but have mixed thoughts on using that one as it is just basically dialing down the gain all the way. And then back to the compressor route with a Keeley Compressor Plus, which again, I'm not sure that is the best direction to go with my playing style.

Curious as to what others use in a similar type situation playing blues.

EDIT: forgot to add that I am running a Strat through a Quilter 101 and a Vintage 30 speaker.
I have two initial thoughts and it isn't about a dirt pedal. If you do not like your guitar's sound turned down, I think you can improve that situation. It upgrades a fundamental element essential to enjoying your guitar. So many threads about wiring guitars around here. '50s wiring, treble bleed, heck maybe even a potentiometer swap would be a good solution.

And when you do like your sound when you back the volume knobs down, you can definitely dial a compressor to match your right hand dynamics. It does not have to be all squashed all one level, and you can find comps that are made to allow parallel compression where you can blend the comped signal with the pure unaltered signal. I have a Barber Tone Press that allows that and use it live.

Edit: to clarify, there are a lot of good sounds lower on that dial and a compressor can help bring the level back up, along with what it does with your dynamics.

And darn it, I saw this and cannot let it pass, sorry. A compressor will not kill your dynamics. Unless you want it to. It can... but does not have to do that. If you want to use it as an effect, sure. They can be pretty transparent.

Last edited:

tweedeater

If you prefer leaving your guitar volumes dimed.. then I would set my drive at my preferred edge of breakup, and just put a clean boost pedal after the drives. I was using an MXR Custom Audio boost/line driver.. and it would do you a fine job. I currently have a CTC Magnifier.. those are just two of many good options.

SimonShep

Just trade( read sell and buy) your tube screamer for a TS808DX, tube screamer and boost in one pedal with a switch to put the boost before or after the TS. True bypass and has a switch to use it at 9v or 18v. Original Suhr Koko boost is pretty great for that too.

65ChampAmp

Did you come to the right place though? Like 9 out of 10 people were suggesting you needed a different pedal... :dunno
I think he did, and I think he got the perfect answer.
We often overlook the untapped potential in pedals we already own in favor of drooling over the latest tgp flavor of the month. And all we had to do is learn how to use what we already have in a different way. Which is exactly what happened here.
He didn’t an expensive new pedal, he just needed a new way of using his old trusty Micro Amp.

Hugh Manitee

I do NOT like the way my tone sounds if I dial back the volume knob... I want to find something better that doesn't dirty up my clean sound and can still boost my dirty sound when I have my Tube Screamer engaged.
Neither do I! My suggestions:

Pettyjohn Lift, if you want some great natural overdrive (Mk.II basically a higher quality Blue Note).

Drybell Unit67, if you want some sustaining-type compression (as opposed to limiting compression).

Kingsley Page, if not in a hurry.

I R P

I think he did, and I think he got the perfect answer.
We often overlook the untapped potential in pedals we already own in favor of drooling over the latest tgp flavor of the month. And all we had to do is learn how to use what we already have in a different way. Which is exactly what happened here.
He didn’t an expensive new pedal, he just needed a new way of using his old trusty Micro Amp.
Are you high?

Myself and a few other people had the right idea-- he must be running out of clean headroom. OP was wise enough to listen to us despite the overwhelming response from others that he needed to buy some fancy pedal.

If this was truly the right place to get the right answers about things, it would have been 9 out of 10 people saying don't buy another pedal, use the pedal you have in a different way. Instead you have TGP dorks suggesting he replace his Micro Amp with a King of Tone!

+1 for a clean boost or EQ with volume used as a boost - in the FX loop. By far the best solution if you can handle the extra cable (assuming you’re not already using 4 cables). While you’re at it you can put your reverb into that circuit too.... much cleaner it will sound.

Are you high?

Myself and a few other people had the right idea-- he must be running out of clean headroom. OP was wise enough to listen to us despite the overwhelming response from others that he needed to buy some fancy pedal.

If this was truly the right place to get the right answers about things, it would have been 9 out of 10 people saying don't buy another pedal, use the pedal you have in a different way. Instead you have TGP dorks suggesting he replace his Micro Amp with a King of Tone!
Ummmmm... I think that @65ChampAmp was advocating exploring ways to use the Micro Amp rather than buying a new expensive pedal.

So who was high? ;)

El Phaco

Talkong about the Secret Preamp : had one. Very good tone enhancer, but I confirm there's not a bunch of db to boost.

Last edited:

Flogger59

I have a Comp+, it'll do what you want with the mix dialed almost all the way back.

But I think that a Greer Lightspeed will do it even better. Much more open sounding, and it'll give you a clean, flat boost with the gain dialed back. It really melts into what it's boosting. Feels great, too.

Trending Topics