Boost pedal that adds compression?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bar-B-Kill, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Bar-B-Kill

Bar-B-Kill Member

I recently had a chance to plug into my friends new Peavey 6505 combo. I really liked the lead channel tone, that warm, compressed tone with more than enough gain on tap. Now, I also like my amps lead tone ( Peavey Bravo) but mine is much more "open" sounding gain. I have always used a boost in front ( either a DS-1 or SD-1 ) with good results. Now after trying out the 6505, I wanted to try add some of that compressed sound to my tone, so I put my old Metal Zone on the board, turned the gain off, and tweaked the eq to taste. Its really not to bad as a boost, but... you can still hear the harshness that pedal is known for. So I was just wondering if any of you out there could suggest a pedal that would add that sort of compression, provide the boost to push my amp, but not add the ****** coating. Any feedback would be great. I had thought about the Mesa Flux Five?

2. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Are you looking for a clean boost or something with some extra gain on tap as well?
    Two options I'm thinking of...
    1. Adding a compressor to thicken your tone
    2. TC Electronic Spark Booster (don't let the manufacturer fool you - this is a damn good booster with some additional capabilities).

3. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

The sense of compression might come from the headroom of the amp.
    An EP Boost into a Tweed circuit is my first hand example.

4. Bar-B-Kill

Bar-B-Kill Member

I had a compressor some time ago. I ended up selling it on Ebay, I don't think a compressor type pedal is what I'm looking for. I may be wrong in thinking compresson is what I'm looking for. At the end of the day I probably should just buy a 6505! The Metal Zone is still adding a little grit even with the knob all the way down. Again, the MT-2 almost gets the job done, but you hear a little bit of ****** coating as I call it. So no, adding a little gain is fine really. How about modding the MT-2?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  5. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

Which compressor? If it was the Ross or Ryan-comp type, you are correct, that's not what you're looking for. However, there are a lot more compressors out there than just that super-grabby country click types. A bearfoot pale green compressor can give you a pretty significant volume boost and does a nice job of emulating cranked-amp compression. At most settings, you don't hear it, but you do feel it. Plus, it's actually got a really great breakup characteristic when you slam it's input. I've been using one after a boost, going into an amp that's just on the edge of breaking up to get the amp into really sweet, sustainy lead tones.
    Ymmv, but I wouldn't write off all compressors based on using just one.

6. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

Xotic SP compressor? Ables you to boost your signal, as well as blending in a compressed signal to your dry tone, preserving your original tone while adding this "compressed" color.

7. minty901

minty901 Member

What's wrong with the manufacturer? Other than the switch issues that they have now fixed, that is.

8. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Nothing at all. But I know some folks may write them off for different reasons (not being boutique, etc).

9. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

The boost portion of the KOT is a bit compressed.

10. iggs

iggs Member

Well, any overdrive pedal will add "compression" just by the nature of it ... any clipping or "distorting" of the input signal is technically compression by definition.

That's how you add sustain for smooth and effortless lead tone.

Trick is to find the one OD pedal that you like the sound of and most importantly works well within your existing setup.

Few that worked really good for me:
    - Rockett Archer
    - Maxon OD808
    - Maxon SD9
    - Xotic BB MB
    - Sonic Edge J&J
    - Paul C Timmy

11. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Also, may I humbly add to my previous list something that is often overlooked...a good ol' fashioned Ibanez TS9. You can keep the gain low and drive your amp with the volume on the pedal itself. The mid-hump is nice for fattening and adding girth and sustain as well

12. mediabuyout

mediabuyout Supporting Member

13. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I like my TC Spark for this sort of thing, but the Sex Drive is pretty cool and has a lot of tones, compressed and otherwise.

14. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Blackout Effectors Fix'd Fuzz. It has a lot of output even before you turn on the Boost. If you turn up the output volume THEN turn on the Boost, you can bring the boost level up and it starts to compress. The tone control is really sweet (and adds a little more output), so you can maintain your high end as the signal thickens. (It also have amazing fuzz options.)

The MXR Custom Shop Comp is really good, but then you need to start setting compression parameters. -E
    If you

15. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I like a Giggity by Voodoo Labs for that. The compression is pretty subtle, but it boosts pre or post (pre adding a little bit of grit) and has a pretty wide amount of EQ range available.

16. twp

twp Likes guitars; loves music... Silver Supporting Member

Empress compressor's master output volume control adds really really nice boost after really really nice compression.

17. muletrane

muletrane Supporting Member

BEANO!

Although it does color your tone little. In a good way!

18. wbm68

wbm68 Member

The Durham Sexdrive is a booster pedal with a three way switch that lets you choose, soft compression, hard compression and no compression.
    That is exactly what you are asking for, but it may not actually be what you are looking for.

[​IMG]

19. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

http://www.fulltone.com/products/2b

I have my eye on one of these because of the dynamics knob. Folks who have the FD3 can probably chime in on how it compares to traditional compression.

20. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Don't write off comps, the VFE white horse will do just exactly what you want, it's a opto comp with a built in FET drive circuit that you can balance to taste. Then just use blend and bass cut knobs to set tightness and amount of effect, then use level to add a little boost to its output. You end up with a boost to push your preamp a little harder along with just right amount of opto or FET compression to suit your tastes.

It's not that squishy "effect" type of compression you probably tried.