Boost pedal w/ gain...?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ASATClassic, Jul 28, 2005.

1. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

What pedal would work good as a solo boost, but will still add some gain? I use a Tubescreamer type pedal to get my sound (just slight breakup) than I need something that'll give me a vol boost along with gain for singing leads.
    Thanks..

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Just about any TS type pedal will give a volume boost.

3. ABKB

ABKB Member

4. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

tonefactor hellbaby will do it in spades!!

5. Franklin

Franklin Member

Well there are many choices out there. As you know, many overdrive options out there. Depending on what your set up is a ZVex SHO or similar boost pedal will push your tube amp into natural distortion. There is also the Beano boost types, a sweet souding germainium transitor. People here have been really digging the AC and RC Boosters by Xotic, also check out their BB Preamp -a very nice pedal!! and the Tim/Timmy pedals.

So many choices, too little cash and time to try them all!
    :D

6. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

7. The Gainster

The Gainster Member

I agree with the Timmy also. :)

8. madsr

madsr Member

The HBE Power Screamer is a great pedal for gain and boost(+10db)...and stacked with the zvex SHO the drive is just incredible..you'll be feeding back but in a good way!

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

10. boog204

boog204 Member

the tech 21 double drive is a very underrated pedal... i've used it as a pure od, a clean boost, and now as a little something over the top. they're cheap and easy to deal w/.

11. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

First, try the Bad Monkey!

12. TBoneDeluxe

TBoneDeluxe Member

Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive...It can be used as a od, a clean boost...or both at the same time! Like running into a clean amp and a dirty amp at the same time!

TBD

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

well,

it all depends on how hot your running your amp. is it on the verge of overdrive? or is it already cranking?

if your amp's just overdriven a little, you'll have more leeway. but if its already cranking, you wont get any volume jump of any sort, cause the amp's headroom has been sapped, and you'll only be adding more gain.

course, if your amp is master volume, and has an effects loop, you'll be able to do a volume jump from there. but the pedal gain IMHO would ruin any nice sounding preamp gain you have.

so, there are two types of pedals you can go here:

option 1. try a nice Zvex Super Duper 2in1. it's a clean boost but has two channels, where the second channel has a master volume, allowing you crank the pedal for some nice transparent dirt, yet the master allows you the overall control of your volume.

option 2. you can get a "treble booster", which is a pedal that adds in a HUGE shot of upper mids and trebles, that allows your already cranking amp to have a terrific lead sound. now, injecting an amp with eye bleeding trebles may seem like a bad idea, but some pedals, like the Time Machine Boost, Keeley's Java Boost, or Analogman's Beano Boost, actually sound terrific w/ an already rippin' Plexi.

so, what's your poison?

14. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

I'm using a Fender BF Princeton running kind of hot (vol about 5-6). The Princeton (non reverb) is a very clean amp, so there's some headroom yet to go.

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

On 5-6 you should be getting some breakup from the amp. In that case a plain old booster with no added distortion would do what your asking. Boosting an already breaking up amp will increase volume (till the preamp headroom is gone) and make the amp distort more which is preferable IMO to any grit a pedal can produce. The best of both worlds would be a clean boost with volume AND gain knobs. The xotic RC booster and Hellbaby have this feature and there are probably others.

16. Tchello

Tchello Member

My suggestions: 1 - Hotcake
    2 - Xotic BB preamp
    I'm using the 73 side of a Time Machine Boost to push things a little hotter and I'm having very good results. The Time Machine is a great pedal to boost for solos and licks.

17. jacksonmillr

jacksonmillr Member

Klon if you want color
    If you want transparent the spark booster is good

18. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

10 YO THREAD ALERT

19. jacksonmillr

jacksonmillr Member

Hahaaha, I knew... Just wanted to see what the oldest thread on tgp was

Then I wondered how people would react if I answered like it was asked yesterday

Dr. Jimmy likes this.
  20. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

lel

Came to say tube screamer anyways.