Boost pedal with Rockerverb 50 MKII?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MrRobChappers, Feb 13, 2012.

1. MrRobChappers

MrRobChappers Member

Hey guys
    Im looking for a decent boost pedal for my Rockerverb 50 MKII (running through an Orange PPC410 Cab), I've heard that this head is a bit fussy when it comes to pedals and making them sound good or not! Its just got to be able to make the sound bigger and louder without loosing any of that amazing tone. Main use would be for guitar solos just to crank them up to the next level! I'm considering one of the Fulltone OCD Boost/Overdrive pedals and also the MXR MC 401 boost pedal but wondered what anyone has tried and the results they've obtained! Im not very experienced when it comes to setting up head/cab with pedals as this is the first non-combo amp i've had!
    Any contributions will be greatly appriciated!
    Rob

2. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

if you are using the amps distortion, a boost in front won't make it any louder. maybe a clean boost in the loop?

3. MrRobChappers

MrRobChappers Member

that sounds like a good idea, i didn't think of that!
    Do you have any recommendations on clean boost pedals then?

4. Slush

Slush Member

Go with a BB PREAMP!!!! It kicks ass on the clean and dirty channel!!! Trust me. I have been searching for a while for a pedal that sounds great with these picky amps...

The Orange takes clean boosts pretty well. But If you want a good OD pedal in front of an already distorted amp, go for the BB! You won't regret it!

I even tried the Timmy and it wasn't working for me..... It became some what fizzy with this amp....

5. tonebendermkII

tonebendermkII Member

I'm using a Suhr Koko Boost and a tonebender germanium fuzz. Works alright.

6. fuzzrise

fuzzrise Member

i have a Rockerverb 50 MKII Head and 412Cab. its hard to find a good OD Pedal wich works perfect with the Amp. I tried a OCD V4, Way Huge Green Rhino, Catalinbread RAH, even a Fuzzes like 69' MKII or the Gnarly Fuzz doesn't work that good with the amp. Or Maybe I'm to picky about the tone!

7. pharmacybear

pharmacybear Member

I've got a Rockerverb as well. I like the way the OCD stacks on top of the drive. However, it completely changes the "color" of the distortion. So OCD is a good bet, if you want to throw a different flavor every now and again. If you're wanting a solo boost I would simply just do what dramaticrunner said, with a clean boost pedal or an EQ. Just leave the EQ flat and boost the gain/output fader.

Source Audio makes a really neat programmable EQ with 4 presets you can save. Otherwise maybe just a cheap Boss GE7.

8. duaner58

duaner58 Supporting Member

Bearfoot baby pink booster...

9. fuzzrise

fuzzrise Member

Also, there is no way to get a volume boost on the drive Chanel! Gain and Volume, both set around 12 O'Clock....