Boost pedal with the most increase?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joemail75, Oct 9, 2005.

1. joemail75

joemail75 Member

Who knows which pedal can produce the most "clean boost"? Now i know this is effected by amp settings and such, but from a purely db stance, which pedal markets with the most. For instance, I know my fatboost boasts a 20db increase. I like the sound I get, but it still doesnt give me the volume I need to jump over drums. So I was curious if there were any others out there with more of a db increase. Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death before.
    thanks

2. onemind

onemind Member

Keeley Katana looks pretty promising.

(s)

3. danut

danut Member

Have you tried running your Fat-Boost at 18V? Much more clean headroom and clarity, thus more db boost (aprox 30).

4. joemail75

joemail75 Member

how exactly would you run it at 18? i have an older model is it possible with those? thanks

5. JPB

JPB Member

There's a limit on the boost you can get out of an amp. If 20-30 dB isn't enough, you might consider a bigger amp. Or use a pedal with a lot of mid, like a TS or something. But again, consider a bigger amp (or let the drummer play less loud - good ones can...)

6. danut

danut Member

Well, I didn't try with mine yet, but you can either use a 18V DC power supply, or do the 2 9V batteries trick suggested by Mike Fuller on his website.

7. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

My .02,

Yes there are other pedals with more than 20 db!~ ala Katana, The time machine boost (basically has the Katana -developed by dave and robert), the Super Duper 2 n 1 and sean's Twin sixty.

Do you really need more than 20 db is my question. I never had bother with that much, but 8 years ago I thought I needed something like that to be heard over the drums. IMO When it comes to solos, particularly un mic'd cabs and combos: EQ and the type of speakers (I'll assume you have great speakers already) are very important. IMO the amp placement (angle, location in the room etc) and the style of cabinet or combo, open, semi open, closed etc are also important. For a semi open-back could be placed against the wall for more focus closer to a closed back cab. IMO As for mic'd cabs at a gig, Eq and great speakers are also very important but the quality of the microphone and its placement is very important. A shure Beta 57 is the defacto standard for mic'ing a guitar cab live. The placement has very different EQ characteristics. Pedals are particularly useful IMO for being able to be heard during a solo. You want of course to make sure your pedal matches your pups and amp favorably as wells as matching up well wih other pedals you may have. Speaker cables either for a 4x12, 2x12 or a combo, mulderaudio has them all. His speaker cables will add more smooth,clear highs and more tight bass to your overall sound that you already possess, that is a huge benefit right there!!! At the very least of options, IMO extremely high humbuckers are harder to be hard esp during rhthyms. The overall eq on your amp is very important. If you are like I was, you have the mids cranked down, bass right up, highs moderate and the presence up for that nice feedback and zakk wylde harmonics. But this usually doesn't fair well in a live setting, but sounds killer in the bedroom.
    Most Fender amps( current and older) to my knowledge are already mid scooped (low mids) and some older backfaced Fenders have a lot of bass! This means that, that particular Fender amp will sound mid scooped When you set the amps EQ completely flat and/or have all it's eq controls on zero! However, I am not 100%sure about some particular years of the the tweed Bassman and the Tonemaster. Marshalls generally have a flat eq sound and may or may not be easier for you to dial in your sound. To make things more impossible on the eq side of things is that some amp makers, even the same maker but different model, can have a different eq characteristics. THis means, you might feel the eq on a amp is not very useful or too subtle for all you needs or very versatile. Or may feel the amps eq almost get there but not quite or seems to pass the magical area you want. In all these types of cases, a nice eq pedal is benefical, like a BJF seablue EQ pedal. Last, the OD or distortion pedals Eq settings, type of drive matched up to the type of pups and the amp/speaker that you have make are important. Generally your solo tone will been different than your rhythm tone because it will have less bass more mids or highs. How much mids and highs? THat IMO is the main reason why we all search for pedals to find pedal that works best for us, and for which guitar? Or does one pedal work with all your guitars? That is very individual, since EQ, tonal and textural characteristics are very personal (smooth vs grainy, but the other feels the grainy still quite smooth -type thing). BJF has the biggest selection of OD/Distortion pedals because he really cares about his pedal really nailing a certain sound and they do, as do many of the menatone pedals. However, IMO there are many great pedals more general sounding that work with anything, like the Xotic pedal line. Man am I rambling or what, sorry. Just remember that the guitar is competing with the same air space as the singer, and with any great soundman the guitar will always lose because the audience cares a lot more about hearing the singer, so he will get all the free wattage. So guitarists gotta be smarter than those singers and those soundheads! hehe Using your EQ advantages will help you cut above the mix and not compete too terribly with the singers band of EQ. IMO The overall rhythm EQ (crunch channel if your will) should be dry as possible, not too saturated, the microphone will natural distort anyway so the level of gain or drive your accustomed used to, cut it back 10-20 percent depending on the pups in your guitar. If don't do this, a good sound man will accomodate with EQ'ing on the board and you might not like how your sound has change. Since your overall gain has been sliced making it much more difficult to rip off quick fluid riffs your OD/dist pedal for solos can be set for more compression (drive and level settings) for easier playability, but IMO not too much. Good luck to you my. PLease let me know how everything makes out.

8. 6789

6789 Member

I use a pedal power 2 power suppliy by Vodoo labs. you can call them and they will make a special order cable that combines two of the 9 volt outputs into one becoming 18 volts. the Fat boost brightens up and gets a lot more boost headroom this way.

9. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

The Colorsound Overdriver and it's clones give the biggest volume boost of and pedal I have tried. That is why most clones add a master volume to the pedal. Without it, it is quite loud.

10. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Check out the BJF Red Rooster Booster: www.custom-sounds.com Click on boosters. Max is 33 db, I think.

Jeff

11. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

Sean's twin 60 will make your amp holler for mercy if you want extreme boost.

12. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

A big slam on the input doesn't necessarily translate to a big increase on the output. There's only so much your amp can output regardless of the input signal strength. If your current amp won't get over drums, you need to be boosting the output side (bigger amp), not the input. Once your preamp runs out of clean headroom, you'll get more distortion, not volume.

13. paulandpaul

paulandpaul Member

the twin 60 is actually a very small boost. 12db if i'm not mistaken.

14. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Maxon CP101 compressor works as an outstanding boost...
    gives a tremendously clean kick to your amps settings...

15. spentron

spentron Member

As a volume switch, not a huge boost is required. 20 dB would tend to take you from too quiet to too loud unless the rest of the band is also very dynamic ... that's equivalent to going from 1 watt to 100. Pumping that level of boost into distortion is a different story, that just wants more.

20 dB is also 10 times on the voltage maginification scale. As discussed on the previous(?) thread on boosts, about 1.2 V typ. maximum pickup voltage, 10 times 1.2 = 12 volts, oops waitaminute 9V power ... with 18 volts you still clip at 25 dB boost. The claims of gain numbers (and "completely clean boost") must be considered against the laws of physics. Clean boost is always a limited quantity compared to the huge gain possible in, for example, a distortion pedal.

16. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I use both the Xotic RC and the Moollon Signal Boost. Both provide plenty of boost yet I NEVER come near maxing them out.

17. g3rmanium

g3rmanium Member

There's only this much gain that you get from a circuit with a 9 V battery. Say your guitar is 1 V peak-to-peak then the boost will clip at 4,5 times that voltage which is 14 dB.

All FWIK YMMV HAND of course.

18. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Doesn't the Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso feature a 25 db boost? I own one and I can say it has alot more boost than the RC Booster I use (running the RC as a straight boost). Last NYE I ran my Gigliotti with Barden's > Catalinbread > Matchless and I was only running the SCP at about 1/2 to get all the boost I needed.

19. dave s

dave s Member

Carl Martin Hot Drive n Boost claims about 22 db clean boost. It's also one of the cleanest, clearest, non-coloring boosts out there as well.

I never ran it anywhere near wide open on the boost side, but it did exactly the clean boost thing very well. Plenty of volume on tap.

dave

20. dosmun

dosmun Member

You need a higher wattage amp. :AOK