Boost pedal with the most increase?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joemail75, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Super Chili Picoso has a 35 db boost.

2. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

Our DB-2 Dual Boost has 54db on tap...

Also, you may want to look at the old Boss FZ-2. IIRC, the boost side has around/atleast +40db

Out of curiousity, what amp/speaker combo are you using? A more effecient speaker may help as well.

3. Montez

Montez Member

If the boost is going into a distortion pedal or a distorted lead channel on the amp, you will get only limited volume level increase from a boost pedal. This is due to the compressing or clipping of the signal.

Two options assuming you amp has the headroom: 1)Move the boost after all distorting/compressing pedals 2) put the boost in the amps effects loop, after any other effects, post preamp.

You don't need many db's to produce a dramatic volume increase with an amp with lots of headroom. 10db's will appx double the apparent output volume.

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

+100. Boosts are great to goose the front end of the amp with and for bumping up the volume for solos, but if you can't be heard over your drummer, you either need less drummer or more amplifier.

5. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

More wattage, more clean headroom, efficient speakers (like EV), bigger speaker cabinet...those things have all had more of an effect *volume-wise* than any boost pedal I've ever tried. Like some previous posters pointed out, regardless of how many dB of gain are on tap in a given boost pedal, you'll be limited by the factors I've mentioned. Once you've past your own amp's saturation point, more dB of clean boost will only mean more distortion, not necessarily more volume.

Of course, YMMV, AFAIK, disclaimer, etc.

Cheers,

Doc :)

6. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

No way, man. Those are facts. Not opinions, or experiences only you've had. No mileage will vary. :AOK Once you reach the limit of your amp/speaker's headroom, you're out. No boost, no matter how clean, can make your amp louder without distorting.

7. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

Not quite. An ideal mosfet would only do 33db so it's more like 25-30.

Boosters, Gain & Distortion: http://www.muzique.com/lab/boost.htm

-Jack

8. 6789

6789 Member

My Voodo Labs pedal power company has a cable you can order that combines two 9 volt outputs to make one 18 volt. Yes it does increase the boost level of the Fatboost tremenously.

9. $uperpuma

$uperpuma Member

Mr. Orman's Mosfet Booster is quite boosty :) As well as the SuperHardOn... the Mosfet Boost makes your guitar sound a little better as it boosts, and the SHO is a brute on your amps input.

10. muddy

muddy Member

the scot60 has undeniably THE most gain i've ever heard in the known universe! actually, all of scotty's peds normally have an ungodly amount of clean gain; the boost royale & power driver are other candidates. even the dual drive.

ml

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

ZVex super duper 2 in 1...best damn boost Ive ever heard. Its extremely loud. Also, theres this one custom BJF boost thats on the rare pedals page, I cant remeber what its called (coal boost???) but, it adds something like over 40db of boost...

12. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

MI Audio Boost N Buff.
    35db boost.
    I think.