• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Boost pedal

aivlys

I'm in need of a boost pedal and was thinking of saving money and just getting an EH Nano boost for about $35. But I've read about some boost pedals that not only help with volume for your leads, but improve the tone in different ways. Those pedals are, naturally, more expensive.

Is it worth it to get an expensive boost pedals? If so, any suggestions.

I play through a VoxAC15 w/ Alnico blues and use a Hotcake, Formula #5, and TS-808.

monkmiles

Jazz/Funk/Rawk/Groove
Silver Supporting Member
Is it worth it to get an expensive boost pedals? If so, any suggestions.
I think it depends on what you want your boost for. Ask yourself some boost related questions... Do you want just clean boost or something that also has some low gain/dirt? Do you want tone control or just a straight up boost? Will you keep it always on or just for solos?

I think something like the Fulltone Fat Boost 3 gives you all of the above and isn't all that expensive. It has tonal control, and can do clean boost or dirty boost. Others like the MXR Micro Amp is just a basic clean volume boost. The EHX LPB is a basic boost that I hear can get a little dirty as you crank it. My two favorite boosts I've played so far are the Mojo Hand Copperhead (a 2 in 1 boost that can dial in light dirt) and the Fat Boost 3.

A germanium boost in the Rangemaster school (like the Retroman or the Analogman Beanos) are in a different class IMHO. They sound great, but are in between a clean boost and distortion...and boost more treble generally.

cwcashiniv

If you're looking for cheaper boost pedals, I personally would not recommend the LPB-1 (the EH Nano boost), I found that pedal to be rather noisy when I had it in my setup long long ago. Since, I've gotten another OD pedal and set it for a clean boost with some minute amount of gain added for texture. You might want to check out the EP Booster, AC Booster, and RC Booster by Xotic - all well-respected pedals on TGP with different characteristics that will enhance your tone. Hope this helps! :aok

boost

Boosta Grande works for me. I just use it to hit the amp and simulate a hotter pickup. Works well for what I use it for.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
If you can source one the Bad Bob with your amp is gold. I used one for three years and have one in a drawer. Just sold one. They pop up use every now and then and rumor has it Analogman can build a repro {current builder stopped making them}. There's something quite nice going on with this simple boost and it plays exceptionally well with the AC15.

http://www.analogman.com/badbob.htm

TenneyThe2nd

Alot of people use the TIM/Timmy for rhythm or always on tone shapers, but I think it shines as a lead boost. It can be easily adjusted for different rigs and venues, and because it can add gain in such a transparent way, it can smooth out a lead tone really well without changing the character of what you are giving it. If you use a super clean boost into a clean amp, the lead tone will appear cleaner than the rhythm tone you are giving your boost pedal. If you want the lead tone to sound natural, you probably will want to add some gain to it. TIM is great for that.

One can almost think of the gain knob on the TIM as a smooth knob. Until you reach the highest third of the pot, it doesn't really impose added clipping to the signal, just a more natural amp-breakup sound.

909one

I don't know... For $35 you can't go wrong with EHX LPB.
I just got one, and it has so much clean gain on tap, its crazy.
It is slightly noisy at the highest volumes I suppose, but whatever.
Usually when you are playing those loudest parts with a pedal like that, the band is that loud as well, and you'd never hear the noise at that part of the song anyway.

It feel like the pedal is literally just good for a boost though. Unlike many of those more expensive boosts, which sound awesome, but you end up wanting to leave it on the whole time because they sound so great, so then you really need another boost to actually get the volume louder.

If you are in a pinch and need a boost pedal the LPB will work just fine. I got one because I had an Amazon gift card and I figured what the hell... I'd just give it a try. And I have been pleasantly surprised.

jrw32

My two favorite boosts I've played so far are the Mojo Hand Copperhead (a 2 in 1 boost that can dial in light dirt)
+1 on the Copperhead...amazingly versatile, I can get everything from a really clean boost to a little dirt/grind, & IMO very transparent. I think they're a bit hard to find these days tho...but I highly recommend one!

FXMonkey

love my Keeley Katana but it is a little pricey....the ep booster is very nice as well and half the price

WesKuhnley

A discrete booster is almost always better than an IC op-amp based booster, which is what most of those MXR/EH etc brand boosters are. There are tons of choices in the boost world, not all are terribly expensive.

eupbin

Platinum Supporting Member
I use Xotic AC Booster, but colors the sound for sure (not in bad way). Works great with Skreddy, Tim and others. Nice on its own too.
I would try to get treble/bass knobs with any booster though, makes a big dif for me anyway.

dmc777

The EHX is all you need if u want clean boost. And to correct a previous post it's not IC based. Atleast the original lpb1 isn't. Another cheap option is the MI Audio boost and buff. I have one mint and am about to sell it if u want to pm me.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
If you can source one the Bad Bob with your amp is gold. I used one for three years and have one in a drawer. Just sold one. They pop up use every now and then and rumor has it Analogman can build a repro {current builder stopped making them}. There's something quite nice going on with this simple boost and it plays exceptionally well with the AC15.

http://www.analogman.com/badbob.htm

Sure would love to give the Bad Bob a try for a while now.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I use a stock Boss BD-2 as a boost with my AC15C1... works surprisingly good. I dial the the gain back, turn the level up and roll the tone knob to about 11 o'clock, it's very transparent and full.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I literally just bought a Mad professor Ruby Red Booster- its supposed to have Treble boost, clean boost as well as buffer options. Plus the 2 boost types are cascaded into each other with a Master Volume knob, so you can get some heavy grit too. I'm really looking forward to it and glad I waited on buying a clean boost (I was itching for a Xotix EP forever...).

You may want to look into that. They go for $169 at PGS...

jboyjams

There are a lot of good OD's that can be setup for a very nice boost.

I almost ALWAYS set the volume to 10 and then either add some gain or just leave it off.

Ex: BD-2, KLON, RC Booster (but add a little gain to get full voume - very clean pedal). CTO-1 is another one. Some add more dirt than others.

jboyjams

I use a stock Boss BD-2 as a boost with my AC15C1... works surprisingly good. I dial the the gain back, turn the level up and roll the tone knob to about 11 o'clock, it's very transparent and full.
BINGO
+1
That's dead on - tone too.

A lot of people should try the BD-2 this way - totally different pedal like this - excellent.
I still use mine too (also had the Keeley mod but was good before too).

Has more power than most pedals and more low end. It was the only pedal that could boost my 4502 combo that was just about maxed out. Lots of volume in that pedal.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom