Boost pedals - which one and why?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by John H, Nov 14, 2005.

1. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

I'm considering a Durham Sex Drive, Fulltone Fat Boost, Xotic RC Booster, etc. (I'd appreciate any other suggestions, thanks). Any comparisions? Advantages? For a point of reference, I've used a Bad Bob Booster.
    I'm primarily a single coil player (Teles and Strats) and use a '68 Deluxe Reverb, a Vox AC30, and a Carr Hammerhead. My pedals include a Keeley Compressor and a few overdrive/distortion pedals, from which I'm currently trying to decide upon (Ibanez TS-9 (Analogman silver mod), an SD-9 (brown mod), a Fulltone Fulldrive II, and a Crowther Hot Cake).
    Thanks, in advance, for any advice, suggestions, insights, etc.

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

catalinbread super chile picoso. One knob and it's all you'll ever need, makes any amp sound fatter and can make any solid state amp sound more valvey. Excellent little pedal

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

I can't really offer any statistical findings, but I can offer my sincere opinion on a boost that really stood out for me...both on P90 and singles. The BigTone Music Brewery TriBooster came to me via a tourbox just over a year ago. I was not looking forward to that particular pedal's arrival in the box, I was eager for the others. Well, turns out I kept going back to that TriBooster over and over, despite the fact I was "done" with acquiring more boost/od pedals. I kept that tourbox for two full weeks and played everyday. Each day I spent 95% of my time playing on that pedal. I reluctantly sent the tourbox on it's way and began to save up my occasional disposable income. Once I had the money for one, I noticed what you may have noticed if you clicked that link I provided..."no longer in production". I began searching the net for one, and you will still find one here and there, but they demand around the $275 range.

Now the recent good news. Keith, the man that is/was BigTone Music Brewery, started a new deal called Build Your Own Clone. Well, recently he added his BTMB's TriBooster to list...to the same specs as before minus the sliding battery tray. You can see the BYOC version of the TriBooster here. You can't beat the price either, $90 if you build it yourself or $149 if you go the pre-built way as I did. I ordered my long awaited, much anticipated official TriBooster from Keith last week. He's got 'er built and should be sending her my way as I type this. I am VERY excited because I know exactly what it can do.

Now, I know you can't go try this out in a store...but for the price, I don't know how you can't at least try and see if you feel the same way I did. If not, I'm sure you could find it a new home on TGP easily.

(disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Keith, BYOC or BTMB in any way other than being a customer)

ryan

4. Robby5323

Robby5323 Supporting Member

If you are looking for just a flat boost in volume and no type of added drive or coloration from the pedal, the Keeley Katana is what I use... Dr. Z Mazerati and a Tele. Works great for just pushing up the volume for say a lead passage or to drive a dirt pedal a little harder.

5. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

You'd be thrilled with the RC Booster.
    Im a single coil finatic, this thing just thickens up the sound while keeping your tone. Very user friendly.

Good luck

RC

6. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

A long forgotten gem from Prescription Electronics. Does everything from clean boost (lots of it), to slight dirt, to "fattener" for single coils to very nice fuzz, and does everything with lots of dynamics. Plus, they're still cheap to get.

7. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I tried numerous, including the AC and RC, I thought I would got with the RC but ended up with the AC as I thought it was a bit more verstatile

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I am a RC Boost guy and have been for a long time. And it isn't changing either.

9. drolling

drolling Member

Another vote for the RC. I'm suggesting this one because you mentioned the Bad Bob, so I'm assuming you're not looking for a totally clean, transparent boost. Bad Bob's got a fair bit of grit to the sound that can't be dialed out. The RC Booster will also add some crunch to your sound, but only with the gain dialed up. It's a real versatile little pedal w/a beautifully voiced EQ. Can't get a bad sound out of it. The older version w/the so-called 'defective' switch can be picked up cheap right now.

Although not specifically designed for the purpose, I use the BJF SBEQ for clean boost, among myriad other applications. This one's also a very handy little pedal, but it won't give you any of the dirt you're getting from the BB.

10. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Burriss Boostiest.

11. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

The superchilipicaso great for Fenders, the sagrado for marshalls and the xotic pedal are always sweet (probaby the most different designed pedal out there as was told to me by 2 VERY popular boutique pedal makers...........)

12. e-flat

e-flat Member

I'll put a vote in for the Barber Launch Pad. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago, and it is VERY neutral sounding. Adds just a touch of depth to the tone without really increasing any frequencies...thats the only way I can explain it. I've found that its very handy for dialing in my Vox AC30CC to get shades of "verge-of-breakup" tone (which is what I like clean boosts for mostly) but it can really punish the front end of your amp if thats what you're after. Plus the Launch Pad is a darn handy little studio/switching tool. I also use it to run parralel FX chains to my Normal & Top Boost channels, then I can A/B between the two. DI, phase corrector...it does a lot of stuff.
    I have tried the Xotic RC booster and owned the AC Booster. Didn't get on too well with the AC, but the RC was exceptional (in store demo only). So I don't think the RC would fail you either.
    Good luck.

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

i use and love the fat/slight gain type boost and use dreamtone magic boost, burriss boostier, and hellbaby :)

14. HitTheCity

HitTheCity Member

Does anybody know just how much boost the RC Booster can provide when the volume is dimed?

15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Look, for a clean, transparent, boost you can use a compressor. You got one.
    For a tonal chnge you can use an EQ pedal, If you are seeking something else I wouldn't call it a clean boost, but that is a whole different kettle of fish.

16. chinatown

chinatown Member

I always love my zvex super duper 2in1 boost pedal,it make my clean sounds so sweet:dude

17. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

[​IMG]

I play an Anderson Hollow Drop Top through a 72' Deluxe Reverb. I have alot of pedals and compressors, but none of the them can boost my signal intact as good as my Klon. My .02

18. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Checkout the Catilinabread Super Chile Picoso,one great small pedal that gets a great clean transparent boost,and has a extra buffered Jack that you can use for things like chaning you Black Face Fenders channels together and corrects the Phase so it doesnt cancel out the sound,I sold my silver Klon and kept this one and My RC boost,I find they do very much the same as the Klons.:D

19. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

I'd vote for the Barber Launch Pad. Just got one and started using it as Dave Barber suggestes in this thread on how to cook a tube amp. Once you set your amp up like this you'll never turn the Lanuch Pad off.http://tpngear.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=169
    Amp just sounds weak if you do.

20. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Anyone have an opinion on the Durham Sexdrive for a boost?