Boost pedals with /13 FTR-37

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Play by Tone, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I'm looking to use my Switchazel on a smaller pedalboard, and want to incorporate another boost into my bigger rig. What boosts work well with the 37? I was thinking maybe an SHO...

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Boy...don't think you need much of a boost with this amp. But my favorites are the AC Booster and the Blackbox Oxygen (compressor). The AC Booster works better with this amp than any other pedal, IMHO. The Oxygen pedal can be set for a significant boost actually. Just turn the compression level down and the gain up a bit and it's an incredibly useful clean boost. After three years, these are my faves. That being said, YMMV.

3. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

See, I expected to hear something about the TMB from you.

I use the /13 "lift" for a lot of lead stuff, and wanted something to replace that. The Dual drive is set for a light crunch and higher gain with its two channels. I wanted a clean boost to use as a lead boost or pushed strat kind of thing...

4. Leonc

The TMB will indeed work extremely well for that function. It's the loudest clean boost I've tried. Very straight-up non-tone-altering too.

5. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Been diggin' the Keeley Javaboost a lot lately.

-Rich

6. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Whats wrong with the Lift box or Switchhazel? Is it not as good as others?

7. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Fred makes the Lift in a single pedal also. Check his site.

The Lift isn't exactly my favorite. Not open enough for me. But I have used it now and then for a kick.

I haven't really felt the need for volume boost with the 37 anyway. It always cuts through so nice from rhythm to lead. I guess in some rooms it could be a help though.

Let us know what you go with.

8. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Yeah, the Lift sounds a little dark to me, and sometimes I want a light boost, which seems hard to dial in with the Lift.

I think I'm going to try the SHO.

Its not so much for volume boost, but sometimes I like that over-the-top gain push you can get so easily with this amp :) Plus the pushed Strat sound I like...

I love my amp even if I didn't get to use a boost pedal :dude Its so sad how much I enjoy using it :D

9. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

One of my favorite things for that pushed Strat sound is to hit the amp hard with an old MXR Dyna Comp turned up all the way. Keep the sensitivity set at half or below and crank. Gets that SRV thing and makes the strings sound like piano wire. I wouldn't exactly call it open and airy, more big attitude and snotty.

That old Dyna Comp keeps finding it's way on to every pedal board I've had since 1976.

Kenny M.

10. Leonc

I did try the SHO with my 37 a few years ago. It didn't work for me (too compressed, IIRC)...but that doesn't mean it won't for you...

11. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Hey Play by...

I noticed you have a BiComprosser on your board pics. I just got one (finally), and am F'n stoked with it through the 37.

I think I read you don't use it that much with the 37. How come? It'll get that pushed strat like KennyM says he gets with the Dynacomp and then some. Much clearer.

I like a comp as more of an effect than a function though. I've been using mine for squishing crunch, and tight chimey cleans. Both Ross and OS have so much flavor.

It'll kick in a heck of a snappy boost if wanted.

12. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

How do you set it up?

Honestly, I tried it with my old settings on the Shiva (used it all the time then) and it was just too much, and feedback prone, so I've left it alone. I actually like the OS side with the /13 better. But I haven't really used it that much. Maybe you can point me in the right direction :p

13. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I guess it depends on how you run your amp, and the axe. I've just been fiddling... but honestly, it sounds great almost everwhere... and I can't make up my mind which I like better, the Ross or the OS side. Both are awesome.

My BiComp is an older one built in 03 I bought used. It has 2 inputs and 2 outs so you can patch each side in where you want. I've been running the OS first, and the Ross side after my OD's.

- The OS is sweet on cleans. Volume usually at around 1:00-2:00
    - The Ross is more dry compression to me. I've been running the attack around 3:00, sustain to taste (up high will give great lead sustain with the 37), and volume at unity (crank it for a boost).

For cleans it really has helped. I like to run my 37 pretty hot into the rev channel, and getting a super clean isn't always easy with just turning the guitar down. With the Bicomp I can turn the guitar down even lower and it will keep the volume up and really brings things to life.

For drive, I like it as another flavor of OD.

PM Me, we can talk if you like...

14. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Well,
    With my D13s I use a Curch of Tone 50 on all of the time. I then use the boost on the switchhazel for a lead boost. I have the COT 50 on, but turned all the way down..
    I know that sounds odd, but try it and you will see why.