Boost Pedals??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hollywood5150, Jan 1, 2006.

1. hollywood5150

hollywood5150 Member

Has anyone tried the Xotic RC Boost or T.C. Jauering Luxury Drive? What do you think of each? I am looking for a transperant boost. Any other recommendations?

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The catalinbread super chile picoso just might be my favorite pedal on the board in terms of practicality. It's not transparent in the pure sense, which would mean plain volume boost, but it is transparent in that it keeps your guitar tone and feel intact, whilst making it fatter (mid boost, I imagine) and more passionate. Great lil pedal!

3. Madsman

Madsman Member

There are so many different kinds of boosts, for different purposes. It would probably help people make recommendations if you could mention what amps, guitars etc you intend to use, and what kind of music/sound you're into (guessing rock, brown sound, etc, by the title).

I have an RC Booster, a Demeter Fat Control (active mid-boost), several TS type pedals, and an MXR Micro Amp. The RC is very "transparent" in that it doesn't change the sound/feel of the guitar, but it doesn't sound great in all amp/guitar situations. My Voodoo modded Laney (very much going for a rock/brown sound type thing) doesn't seem to like the pedal much. My Flexi LOVES it. Haven't plugged ANY of my pedals in with my Deliverance yet. I play with humbuckers usually, and the RC seems to me to make a bigger difference on single coils. For humbuckers, I really like judicious use of TS type pedals. If you want just clean boost, for rock, and plan to leave it on most of the time, I'd probably recommend the ZVex Super Hard On. If it's just for solos, to grease things up a bit, the Demeter Fat Boost is pretty damn cool. Ed DeGenero turned me on to it.

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I am of the opinion that the RC Boost is simply the Best of Breed. Strongly held opinion. :D

5. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

I agree on the RC Boost..The Best..

6. modoc

modoc Guest

My fave at the moment is the Crowther Hotcake...wind the presence and drive off and it's as clean as you can get. I can't hear any tonal difference at all. The BB Preamp is okay as long as you don't touch the drive at all...touch that baby and it's so long mids, hello eq.
    Currently waiting on a 'Bluesberry' cake at the moment to compare...

Cheers
    Jase, Perth West Australia:JAM

7. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    Bob McBroom (Pedalworx) makes a sweet one with a twist; the McSqueeze. An Orange Squeezer compressor with a toggle switch to turn it into a clean boost. Lots of clean gain into grit, two effects in a small footprint.

http://www.pedalworx.com/mcsqueeze.html

YMMV
    Slick51

8. marrelero

marrelero Member

I agree, you just get the same tone but more. It's a "sound good-pedal"

9. T-bone

T-bone Member

Rc Boost is cool with a nice EQ.
    I'm currently using a Burriss Boostier and it takes the cake as far as being transparent.

10. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

I've got a TC Jauernig Lux Drive and I find that it does a great job as a boost at the end of my signal path. Sounds very balanced across the tonal spectrum to my ears and the price is certainly right. I have not heard the RC, however.

11. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

I just posted this on another thread..........

I'm a clean boost junkie and have tried a few different ones......

Super Chile Picosso
    Barber LP
    RC Boost
    Burriss Boostier
    T.C. Jauernig Luxury Drive
    Sparkle Drive
    Banzai Cold Fusion

All have been good, but the Katana had that special something that put it above the rest. After realizing what a mistake I made selling mine:eek: , I just recently bought another. This time it's going no where:)

12. Rahlstin

Rahlstin Member

Using my DSL100 I use a MXR microamp for boosting the input of the amp, and a boss GE7 for boosting though the effects loop. Two vastly different results depending on the need. If Im playing though my 100w 1959 super lead I only use the MXR to boost the input as it has no fx loop and the ge7 dsont sound as good.

13. gururyan

gururyan Member

14. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

15. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I love the RC boost also, but I do love the Burriss Boostier. But there is always room for more than one boost. I have a slew that I want to try still.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

16. wishbon7

wishbon7 Member

So do you think the RC is better than the Katana or Java?

17. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Simply amazing IMO. Followed closely by the Bad Bob Boost.