Boost that sounds like an FDII in comp-cut mode?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vintage66, Jul 23, 2008.

1. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I like my FDII's comp-cut mode, but the other two seem useless since I like my Od808 better. Is comp-cut really just a boost or is there still some tube screamer in there? I don't have any experience with pure boosts-I don't want to sell it and not have that sound, but it's taking up the space of two pedals-the Od808 doesn't have a spot.:(

2. vintage66

vintage66 Member

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Just get a straight clean boost, lots of options out there. Do a search for clean boosts in the effects section.

Here's a really option for you, Xotic RC Booster, probably one of the best out there.

4. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I've heard great things about the RC. Can it get a similar sound though or is the FDII kind of still more voiced like a screamer? I've used that pedal a lot in band situations in comp-cut and it really is my go-to pedal at higher volumes. Just don't dig the other 2 settings.

5. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

Comp cut is one of my favorite sounding OD sounds. I'd love it if there was a pedal with just that sound. Maybe Fulltone can make one.

6. Guinness Lad

It's not voiced like a tube screamer, think more neutral.

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

TC Jaugernig's DGTM with the LED clipping mode.....

:)

8. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I'm confused-are you saying the RC is more neutral?

9. Guinness Lad

An RC Booster will sound closest to the comp cut mode of the Fulldrive, in some ways it's a cross between the comp-cut mode and the Flat-mid mode. The only thing is you have to think about the Flat-mid running with little or no gain, if you can imagine this you will be pretty close.

Personally, I think the RC Booster sounds really close to Analogman King of Tone. The only thing is the KOT is sweeter and has more gain, the compression characteristics are similar though.

10. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Cool, I need to check one out.

11. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

the problem is that the FD2 has used so many different opamps over the years, 4558, 2072 jfet, 5532 (used in mixing boards)..back to 4558 and probably some I'm missing, so the "compcut sound" is going to be completely different between different eras, IMO.