Boost > TS or TS > Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by iim7v7im7, Oct 7, 2008.

1. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Hi,

I have been doin some pedal stacking experiments and wanted to build upon others success. Have people had better luck with 6V6 Fender type amp adding a boost post TS or into their TS?

I have a KOTv.4 and an OD-9 silver. I have found that the results either way differ depending on the amp setting (e.g. if I set the amp between 2-3 which is clean or if between 4-5 at the edge of breakup). If the amp is set low I like the boost afterwards, if the amp is turned up I prefer the opposite. I am guessing that the boost is overdriving the op amp in the pedal as well as the amp vs. when its placed afterwards its just overdriving the pre-amp.

I am curious what others have decided in their rigs. Stacking a TS with aboost must be a fairly popular combination.

Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated!

Bob

2. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Something like that...

Basically a booster in front of an OD adds distortion to the OD.
    A Booster after an OD adds volume.

Any time you increase the volume level before the amp, the amp will tend to get more distorted if it's close to the breakup point.

We added a Bad Bob Booster circuit into a Maxon OD9 for people who want an OD and a Booster, and can build it in either order Boost -> OD or OD -> Boost. OD9 uses the stock switch, Bad Bob uses the new stomp switch and added volume knob.

[​IMG]

Have fun!

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

That is KILLER, Mike.

4. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Mike,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have been finding that both pedals find MUCH better with the volume set well above unity (between 12 - 3 or so when unity is at about 10-11 on the pedals). Any thoughts on why this is? Is it the volume interaction with my amp? So the pedals become a distorted EQ'd boost?

:)

5. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Wow. Thats looking pretty good... itsTB, right? Nice little combination.

6. charmboy

charmboy Member

Pretty sure it's not TB because of the original switch, but I don't think the bypass buffers in maxon pedals are all that detrimental to your tone.

I wish I hadn't seen this though! Looks like a great compact solution and probably a nice holdover for the KOT wait.

7. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Great idea! Nice, small format too!

8. Last Nerve

Mike - just a thought..
    any room to put a toggle to switch between boost>OD and OD>boost ???

9. charmboy

charmboy Member

I can't imagine there being much room left for anything, but if this is possible I will definitely be placing an order!

10. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

HOLY GAS BATMAN!!! :worried

11. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Yes the OD9 is still true bypass after we add the Booster. An order switching toggle would be cool but tough, as it needs to have a lot of contacts and no room.

OD pedals do tend to sound better at higher volume settings, some people run the KoT at high volume and use another pedal later to lower the level. I wish I knew exactly why...

12. Last Nerve

...because they're playing at home? ;)

That is a pretty cool idea, Mike.
    I might have to rearrange some stuff.
    Is this on the normal website, the new website (www.buyanalogman.com) or both?

13. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Mike,

Help me understand something. In the scenario where I use the boost as an input to the OD-9 with the amp set relatively low (say 2-3), I am distorting the pedal so I could use a pedal down stream to lower the volume. In the second scenario when the amp is set high (say at 4-5 at the edge of break-up) would using a downstream pedal to lower the volume defeat my purpose of overdriving the amp? Isn't it the higher input volume from the pedal turned up in volume to V1 that's doin the magic here?

Thanks,

Bob

14. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

After trying the different possibilities myself I find that I like my pedals to go from highest gain> lowest>clean boost. That worked best for me but try it all and see what you like.