Boost: volume+gain?

Mariocaster

Hi, I'm playing trought a clean amp and got a suhr riot reloaded, suhr koji comp and I will buy a suhr shiba reloaded. I tried the suhr koko reloaded with the suhr riot but in only gives me more gain or more volume. When I'm playing with the Riot I step on the comressor and it gives me a little volume boost and I hear a little more gain too and sustains awesome, it just feels very easy for soloing but it's noisy as hell! Is there an specific type of boost that can give me somethin similar to the compressor? stack an overdrive or I should get a second compressor with different settings? :dunno the comp is before the riot.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Is there enough clean headroom left in your amp to get a volume boost out of it?

DaveKS

Suhr makes good pedals. How are you powering them, could be you need a better power supply.

But yes most comps if push them to hard they can get noisy. Try backing it off just a bit.

con brio

. But yes most comps if push them to hard they can get noisy.
Pedantic point, and you probably intended this, but it's worth being fussy: the compressor – a good one like a suhr at any rate – isn't noisy, it is simply amplifying the noise floor inherent in the signal path (ie from the pickups, cabling, pedals prior to the comp, etc).

midwayfair

Pedantic point, and you probably intended this, but it's worth being fussy: the compressor – a good one like a suhr at any rate – isn't noisy, it is simply amplifying the noise floor inherent in the signal path (ie from the pickups, cabling, pedals prior to the comp, etc).
If we're being pedantic and fussy, then you're only half right. Although it's true that any compressor will amplify the noise floor, all analog circuitry adds noise of its own. Regardless of how well engineered they are, all pedals will add noise, and OTA chips (like those in everything derived from the Ross and Dynacomp, which I'm pretty sure the Suhr is one) add more noise than many types of circuitry.

Mariocaster

Suhr makes good pedals. How are you powering them, could be you need a better power supply.

But yes most comps if push them to hard they can get noisy. Try backing it off just a bit.
I'm powering the pedals with a pedal power 2. It's only when I hit the compressor for boosting the riot that the noise shows up, I will try to adjust the compressor and if it doesn't adds too much noise may be I will buy second compressor, one for my cleans and other for solo boost.

johnh

In my opinion, your volume boost pedal needs to come after your main drive. So if you're using your Riot as your drive sound, then placing your Shiba after it will give you any volume you want. The final volume will be totally reliant on the last pedals volume knob position. However, placing the Shiba before the Riot will only give you a gain boost and maybe a very small volume boost.

superdave2001

Gold Supporting Member
In my opinion, your volume boost pedal needs to come after your main drive. So if you're using your Riot as your drive sound, then placing your Shiba after it will give you any volume you want. The final volume will be totally reliant on the last pedals volume knob position. However, placing the Shiba before the Riot will only give you a gain boost and maybe a very small volume boost.
This.

RockManDan

yep. all your pedals seem to be behaving normally. Any high-gain pedal, when you push a hotter signal into it, will only ever really just distort more, with little change in overall volume output. Its just science. For an effective solo boost, IE a volume jump in order to be heard above the rest of the bands, you have to boost the volume AFTER the main distortion. It's why fx loops were invented for high-gain amps. If you're running your amp clean, this is easy, just put something that boosts volume after your main drive pedals.

Now if you want to boost gain AND volume, your best best really requires two boosts, one in front and one behind. A tubescreamer or something similar is the go-to for adding gain to the front of a driven sound. In my setup, i have a multi-loop switcher where individual loops are turned on and off in different combinations, so when i go to a solo, i hit one button that engages my gain boost in front of the amp, a clean gain volume boost in the fx loop after the gain channel, and a delay that is also in the fx loop.

pacomc79

Anyone played the Walrus Audio Plainsman yet? Could be a good fit.

I've used a dynacomp in that application in the past but it's not really a boost.

NewDr.P

gain is input volume.

if you increase gain before a source of distortion (distortion pedal) the increased input volume will result in more saturation and distortion, not volume.

when you increase gain in front of a clean amp (and after distortion pedal) the increase in input volume will result in a volume boost.

a single source of gain can not be used for both purposes simultaneously.

Trending Topics