Boost vs Treble Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 8len8, Feb 16, 2012.

1. 8len8

8len8 Member

I've been using some low gain boosts (BB, SHO) with my Plexi but it seems the low end suffers. I always thought that treble boosts would add harshness but I just read they act like a flat boost but keep the low end in tact. True?

2. neu18

neu18 Member

Depends what treble booster you get. My experience with treble boosters is that they do cut your low end while giving you a crispy high end when you roll back the volume and give you a nice distortion/gain/lead sound when your guitar volume is full. You have to have your amp pretty loud to get the most out of it.

3. cacibi

cacibi Member

The original purpose of the treble boost was to recover high frequency loss in Marshall amps when played at loud volumes. So in that situation they would likely seem to act as more of a flat boost. Conversely, the Bright switch on Fender amps was meant mainly to be used when running the amps at low volumes.

The best thing I've found is the Empress Para EQ. Mid boost, Treble boost - bass compensation or attenuation w/boost, it's super powerful.

4. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

I found that Treble Boosters took over my tone too much.
    (including a Time Machine Boost, 2 different Beano NKT's and a DAM Red Rooster which was more transparent than the others).

A Blues Driver - BD-2 has great low end (mine is a Keeley but it was good before I sent it in for the mod). I've been thru a bunch and haven't found any better for low end - key for me is to set it up like a clean boost with the Gain off or very low and push up the volume - tone around 10:30.
    There's one on the emporium for $60.

5. Dave

Dave Member

Every treble booster I've ever had (Rangemaster type) was far from flat. Tons of mids and sparkling highs when you roll the guitar's volume down. Not sure if they actually cut bass, or just add mids/highs, but I wouldn't be looking at treble boosters if I wanted a flat boost.

6. 8len8

8len8 Member

My concern is that flat boosts also boost the low end, resulting in mud. My understanding is that treble boosters have less low end boosting (by definition) so the low end might not be as gained up with the pedal on, but it doesn't loose its definition.

7. chervokas

chervokas Member

Don't forget a Rangemaster-type boost is also not really a clean boost. It's a kind of crude GE transistor based circuit that adds a bunch of grit of it's own. Into a cooking amp or stacked into an OD pedal it's a little bit like a "fuzz lite" that also gooses the upper harmonics. So it's not really a flat boost either in terms of frequency response or in terms of distortion. Most of the modern clones have some method or other for switching the frequencies the goose from treble to mid to full range. I do think there are some clean treble boost circuits on the market though these days, IIRC -- no personal experience w/ those.