Boosters with special sauce

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pappy, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

With all this talk about transparent boost pedals, I got to thinking about boosts that change your tone for the better. Here is a short list of mine:

Uno Mos: Adds a hint of distortion and low end. Great for those shows where you are playing so quietly that your amp is barely on but you'd still like a little bit of breakup.

Klon: Is it transparent? Not really. It does make everything sound bigger and better, though.

I know that the Durham Sex Drive is on many people's "special sauce" list. Does the Super Chili Picoso add anything in that way or is it pretty neutral?

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

SCP adds a bit of mojo. I say it's transparent because it still makes you sound like you, only with more balls. When you have it on unity and turn it off, your tone sounds a little thinner. The louder you make it (the more you make your amps input jack work), the more mojo it adds.

3. jda

jda Member

4. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

Tone Factor 75 Special "dirty boost" - dunno what dirties it up, but I like it.

Keeley Katana "clean boost" - in my experience, this is not a totally clean boost, but I really liked what it added. Plus, there's a second stage that basically turns it into a really dirty boost. Good stuff!

5. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

i know thr RC booster had/has its day in the sun here...i remember awhile back it was the cats pajamas. then alot jumped on it being sterile. its def got some flavor, ive kept it on my board now for awhile. i really like the gain knob. off its like a clean boost. even all the way up it doesnt get overdrive just "push" light breakup through a dead clean amp.

id say its a killer swiss army knife booster. i like the added tone (as youve brought up in your original post) cause its good stuff its adding,the best no..but after my low gain barber LTD i get big for the lack of a better term "srvish" tone for solos.

6. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

Look no further than the 808...

7. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

RC Booster...if you're looking for a transparent booster that makes everything else sound better, the RC is hard to beat. Check out the Xotic site(prosoundcommunications.com) and watch the video testimonials.

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Lovepedal Mini V - it rocks.

9. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I recently tried the MI Blue Boy Deluxe for boosting solos. You can dial in the amount of mids, grit and brightness that you're after. Probably not the job the pedal was intended to do when Micheal designed it, but he gave it enough options that "boost with a little character" is one of the things it does well.