boostier vs. boostiest

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by parkerbro, Dec 5, 2005.

1. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

i've read nothing but stellar reviews of the boostier. so the question is, if i have the ts/od sound nailed to my liking with other pedals, is it worth it to buy the boostiest? thanks in advance for your help and feedback!

2. parkerbro

3. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Can't rightly answer your question. Depends of what you want. But, I got the boostier because I didn't need the additional OD on the boostiest. I dumped the Klon---I'll say it again: I dumped the Klon (nice pedal, but... I’m free!!)---and have the boostier for the boost and a TS808 for the OD. In my case, while the $$ was just a little more for the boostiest, I only needed the boostier. This little silver box is as gorgeous as your amplifier is but more.

After I have the Burriss Boostier a while longer, I may post some thoughts on the box. There was something magical about my Klon but, Man, the little Burriss box is a hummer. :eek: Come to think of it, I could do more tricks with the Klon (when goofing around alone) but during gigs the box stayed ON/on one setting only and I never messed with the setting. The Burriss does that elusive "it" thing better than the Klon... just doesn't have the hype of my old Klon (but it should IMO).

Bottom line: I have no experience with the Boostiest but the Boostier kicks.

4. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Does the Boostier have an AC jack, or does it just run on batteries?

5. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    The Boostier and Boostiest run on either one 9v battery or a Boss-type power supply (center negative).

I had the Boostiest, briefly, thinking that I could sell my Red Snapper. I didn't like the TS/OD side of the Boostiest as well as my Red Snapper so I returned it for a Boostier instead. I agree with the comments above about the Klon-Boostier comparison. The Klon does more, but the Boostier does the Klon boost function just as well as the Klon. It's the closest thing I've found to a Klon, in terms of boost.

The OD side of the Boostiest was okay, not bad by any means, but the Menatone Red Snapper is still the pedal to beat for low to medium gain, IMHO.

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Ok guys i have a boostiest, a KLON, and Timmy, and a Dreamtone Magic Boost and to me this is how it goes through my carr rambler.

1. boostiest) boost side first. I like that the boost is switchable from the overdrive side as it gives a broader array of tones. The boost is darker/warmer than the klon even wth the tone knob up(less sparkle). To my ears where the klon's boost pushes the amp for the best tones, the burriss has a gain knob when turned up gives a very natural sounding overdrive(without using the ts-style overdrive side) that i like a lot. The overdrive side next. Ok this side took A LOT of warming up to get used to i just recently have taken my modded ts-9 off the board. This definately isnt the greatest 808 i have heard, but it is good enough once you get used to the interaction of the boost and the overdrive side. If you use the ts sound very frequently i would get the boostier and kepp what you have for the ts sound or get a blues devil or blue boy if you have nothing. This pedal goes best with a strat IMO, but dial the gain back and plug in a paul and it is nice too(again adjust for the warmness of this pedal)

2) Klon ok i have heard this called the one trick pony, i just dont see it that way. The Klon has an incredible boost (i cant get the boostiest to sound this good... sorry). It's boost reminds me of my SHO but a lot fatter. It definately has that sparkle and ambience to it(magic?) I also love the overdrive side when i cant crank the amp. Very creamy and organic to the original tone of my guitar and amp (yes mid hump added to cut through) The tone knob is very useful and has many different sounds, whereas the burriss tone knob was not as sensitive. I love this pedal with a TELE, strat is great and paul is nice(havent been able to tinker too much with this though)

3) Timmy- see Klon review except the overdrive is not quite as smooth and i like the fact that you can use the internal switches for added sonic qualities(i like mine uncompressed sounding) This pedal definately has the magic to it. I enjoy using it as a real nice sparkly fat boost with nice harmonics(like klon). But again i like the klon's overdrive better. Anyone who doesnt have a timmy should try one out (they really amaze me)

4) Dreamtone- has a very boostier type boost fat, extremely warm(more than klon) but adds extra sparkle and harmonics ala klon/timmy. I love it so much seth is building me his production model boost which has bass/treb/gain/vol and has a stomp switch. instead of just the one vol/gain knob and "flip switch" I will let yall know how that works out.(this is the pedal i use most for sit down playing because of the flip switch, i use the klon or timmy for stand up :)

hope this helps ya.

7. parkerbro

i've never heard of dreamtone. where can i find one? how do they compare to the burriss?

8. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I have one of Seths Proto 808 clones and it is a very good 808 as much as my buddies real 808 and has a bit more too as it has an EQ for more open tone so it can switch Fat and more sparkely,Also it has a SW. for Asymetrical,and Symetrical clipping.
    Very cool pedal.
    I sold my Klon Just couldnt get it to do what some of my other boost pedal could do,Like my RC and my CatilinaBread Chile Picoso boost,also you can do a serch for DreamTone on the board to find how to contact him.:RoCkIn

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=114643
    the link to the boost on ebay is not the boost i have, seth could tell you more about that one but all of his contact info is there. If you search his previous posts you can find his other ads :) i have a distortion pedal boost and octave from him and they all rock (even though octave aint really my thing it still rocks!)

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Just picked up a used Boostiest. The level control on the OD side does not seem right...it goes from almost off to ON (fairly loud) with barely a turn...then most of the rest of the dial does not increase the volume at all.

Just wanted to check with other users to make sure this was not normal behavior.

Greg

11. CNP

CNP Member

I've got a Boostiest-- the clean Boostier side is awesome-- perfect, in my opinion. The overdrive side is good, but I prefer my Keeley TS-9. I like the versatility of having both in one compact battery powered pedal, tho.

12. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Sorry, mine doesnt do that, I can recheck in the am, but i think i would remember that.

13. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

I have a boostiest! Amazing boost...Great OD. I am sure a (insert expensive OD here) would do the same thing, but I enjoy two-pedals-in-one. Smaller footprint on the old pedal board.

Again....amazing Boost. Great OD. Amazing pedal

:AOK