• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Boosting a Marshall-ish amp: Klone or FD2?

Klone or FD2?

• Klone

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Fulldrive 2/FD1

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters

BluesBUSTER

Silver Supporting Member
When I was gigging my Stiletto Ace, I had a BB Preamp and a RC Booster. I acquired an old RC Booster a few days ago as that was easily one of the best matches for the Stiletto (or any amp I've used one with for that matter). But I remember, with the BB Preamp, the gain came on real quick. I think I dialed that in with the gain at 9:00 or below. It did sound good and I've considered it again, but I'm exploring other options. I kind of figured the Fulldrive might have that mid push thing that the BB Pre did, but without all the gain. I've also considered the AC Booster from Xotic, but... honestly... I can't stand the yellow and I know it's just a color, but it would drive me nuts on my board.

Edit: I will also say that I'm using the RC with channel 1 and it's perfect. I'm after something specific for channel 2 to tighten it up, push the mids, and drop a little bass for solos. So naturally I thought of the Klon and TS type circuits.
Sounds like you already know the formula. The RC is great, albeit more as a boost rather than gain source. The BB is great for adding some gain into the chain, but I have found that it's too "Marshall-y" for a Marshall amp. Don't get me wrong, it's a great pedal that can work just fine. The AC on the other hand is probably what you're looking for. That and the Fulldrive. I can understand your issue with the yellow color of the AC, it is unfortunate because the pedal sounds really great. If you can get past the color (or maybe if you can spray paint the enclosure) that would be one solution. I have an "Oz Noy" model AC/RC which is purple and it's much easier on the eyes. Those were a limited edition release, if you can find one I would highly recommend it.

The Fulldrive is a great stand-by, provides flat-mids and pushed-mids depending on the amp and the mood. It's mid-peak is different from the AC, maybe slightly lower but I'm not sure about that right now. I have the FD2 v.2 - the smaller red box - and it's awesome with my Marshall 2550. The Comp Cut mode was never my thing but the FM and Vintage are the bomb. The boost was replaced with a second OD - great idea - that's awesome for adding girth to solos.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Exotic and Fulltone pedals. Every single one I have tried has worked great for my sound.

johnny q

This is a tough question because these are the exact 2 pedals I prefer with my Marshall amps. I can't pick just one, they both work exceptionally well as a boost and are both different flavors. A Klone (In my case a Mythical Overdrive) will be more transparent. The FD2 will (or "can" depending on settings) color the mids and add some compression. They both sound awesome, either one will give your amp that kick in the balls you are looking for.

To throw a curve ball, I would also suggest the Barber Direct Drive, which I also find to be a hand to glove match for Marshall amps.

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
Any weigh-in on the Fulldrive 2 version 2? Interested to hear if it's a contender to the older, pre-mosfet toggle versions (which is kind of where I'm looking right now).

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
I boost my Marshalls with a Xotic BB with midboost.
It has a very good eq
Sounds like you already know the formula. The RC is great, albeit more as a boost rather than gain source. The BB is great for adding some gain into the chain, but I have found that it's too "Marshall-y" for a Marshall amp. Don't get me wrong, it's a great pedal that can work just fine. The AC on the other hand is probably what you're looking for. That and the Fulldrive. I can understand your issue with the yellow color of the AC, it is unfortunate because the pedal sounds really great. If you can get past the color (or maybe if you can spray paint the enclosure) that would be one solution. I have an "Oz Noy" model AC/RC which is purple and it's much easier on the eyes. Those were a limited edition release, if you can find one I would highly recommend it.

The Fulldrive is a great stand-by, provides flat-mids and pushed-mids depending on the amp and the mood. It's mid-peak is different from the AC, maybe slightly lower but I'm not sure about that right now. I have the FD2 v.2 - the smaller red box - and it's awesome with my Marshall 2550. The Comp Cut mode was never my thing but the FM and Vintage are the bomb. The boost was replaced with a second OD - great idea - that's awesome for adding girth to solos.

Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Exotic and Fulltone pedals. Every single one I have tried has worked great for my sound.

I actually ordered a BB Preamp last night to check out again. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. If it doesn't, AMS has a great return policy.

@BluesBUSTER I found an AC Booster Comp locally that I might check out also. Best part is that it's not yellow! Haha.

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
I’d be more curious about how closely to a Marshall does the Stiletto respond when pushed. No doubt the FD + Marshall combo has worked for many. But this isn’t exactly a Marshall.

I use an Electro Dyne for Mesa’s take on Marshall, though I’ve wanted to try a Stiletto as well. I generally prefer the klon approach (have a Mythical Overdrive and Archer) to just give me “more” of what the amp already gives.

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
I’d be more curious about how closely to a Marshall does the Stiletto respond when pushed. No doubt the FD + Marshall combo has worked for many. But this isn’t exactly a Marshall.

I use an Electro Dyne for Mesa’s take on Marshall, though I’ve wanted to try a Stiletto as well. I generally prefer the klon approach (have a Mythical Overdrive and Archer) to just give me “more” of what the amp already gives.
I gigged an Electra Dyne for years. The winning formula, for me, for that amp was an EP Booster and a Zendrive. EP was always on and I used the Zendrive to push the blue channel for leads and it was excellent. The Stiletto in crunch mode responds a lot like the Electra Dyne, but seems to have a different midrange thing going on and the bottom end is much tighter. So the benefits of the EP are not really necessary with the Stiletto, but the Zendrive (I now have a custom DCW pedal that has a Zaz Drive on one side) still does its thing really well.

My main itch to scratch is on channel 2 in the tight gain setting. That channel is, to me, is just another crunch mode with way more girth and authority. All it needs is something to boost it (cut a little bass, add a little midrange) and smooth it out a little. This is how I kind of landed where I have with the Fulldrive and the Klone. I suspect, eventually, I'll end up with both, but I am enjoying all of the suggestions.

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, folks, just a couple of thoughts:

1. Decided to pick up an Archer Ikon. I found a good deal and just went for it. The BB Preamp, I think, is just too much gain for what I'm trying to use it for. So I think I'll be returning it.

2. What this thread has done for me, instead of pushing me to decide between 2 pedals, has lead me to the conclusion that I'm about to purchase a dozen overdrive pedals within the next few months. This is not necessarily a good or bad thing. But I have a whole list of pedals I want to try now and I won't be completely content until I do.

3. If it will help anyone in the future, I could record some clips of the pedals I try and post them in this thread (or start a new one?) and maybe that will help someone down the line who was in my position.

vintage66

I have a DSL 50 and my favorite is a Rat 2. I have 2 different fd2’s and a Centura. Don’t know if I’ve tried the Centura with that amp but the FD2’s weren’t all that special. The Skreddy Screwdriver is provably my second favorite with that amp. Granted it’s not a Mesa, just my .02.

Trending Topics