Boosting a pedal...possible damage?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by leodiditright, Feb 29, 2008.

1. leodiditright

leodiditright Supporting Member

Please tell me you tech wiz guys, if using a booster in front of another pedal could stress his components, and yield to a premature failure.
    For example, very often I'm putting my Lovepedal Balance before my Lovepedal Lo Driver or my Dumb Bell to help them sing, I love the tone, but is it good for the pedals who get boosted??

2. sandman

sandman Member

Yeah, I got GREAT results slammin' my Tim with SCP but dunno if that's recommended...

3. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

I'm no expert, but I've never heard/read that stacking pedals reduces their lives. Perhaps if the pedal is tube-driven (some tremolos and OD's), but even then I wouldn't expect anything to go wrong.

4. leodiditright

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

This can be bad from some effects, like delay for example. The Timefactor has a clipping LED for this very reason.

You can definitely mess up analog delays doing this too, but it has to be a pretty loud signal.

As for overdrives, I doubt you could damage anything by boosting. On the contrary, it adds more gain and harmonics so i would say go for it!

6. Montez

Montez Member

I good rule of thumb is not to exceed 2 volts RMS (appx 6 volts peak to peak swing) to be on the safe side.

7. spentron

spentron Member

I would avoid using a pedal intended to put out over 9 volts, at high settings, into a 9 volt pedal. Examples are boost pedals with >9 volt internal supplies such as Keeley Katana, Barber Launch Pad. Even then it should be OK in most cases but if you don't want to have to analyze the circuits .... A lot of devices that are not clean boosts, such as rack gear, also run on higher voltage but aren't intended to put out a huge level when set normally.

Another possibility at high voltage is bleedthrough from silent switch circuits and other sonic degradation. The only device I've seen with bleedthrough and easy damage problems is not a pedal though, it's some solid-state switching versions of the JCM800 (and that can be avoided by turning down the clean volume).

8. leodiditright

Thanks everybody. I'm still a little:confused: What I'm doing is putting my Lovepedal Balance (which have a huge amount of boost) before everything else I've got (Lovepedal Lo Driver-Gaspedals Dumbbell and Menatone Working Man's Blue) The Menatone have it's own boost, but it sounds different boosting it with the mighty Balance.

9. diatonicdude

diatonicdude Member

Understanding the principal of risk involved, can anybody confirm whether a Keeley Katana into a Zendrive would stress the Zendrive, and cause damage? Is the Zen robust to this type of voltage input?

The reason I ask here is because I am under the impression Alf is still over whelmed with emails so may not be able to answer. Thanks!

DD

10. bastet

bastet Member

I am to a little confused about boost causing damage and a noob to using pedals for gain verses an amps gain structure. Using a Marshall BlueBreaker 30 watt clean.

Can I boost by MI Audio Crunch box with a Fulltone OCD or the other way around?

I like the OCD's amp sound but I pefer the Crunch Box's sustain.

Thanks

11. pgissi

pgissi Member

Good info and the only things that can accomplish this excess output, some synths and mixing consoles

Boost away with instrument level pedals (high z low level) all your gonna do when you got too hot of a signal is create sonic mush and that may be music to your ears, so your good

Why not, dont have either but my preference is to place the cleaner od's after the dirty one, you end up with a louder and dirtier od/dist/fuzz when stacked, great way to cleanly boost fuzz which is a contradiction that actually makes sense