Boosting my leads??????????????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, Feb 28, 2008.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hey guys!

Anyone have any advice on making leads sound a little better? I want the ability to fatten and boost, while smoothing out leads a bit at times. I am thinking of a compressor but would also consider a boost. I do not want anything else in my loop so it will go up front. I use a decent amount of gain as is so keep that in mind.

I thought of the Keeley Katana or Creation Audio Labs boost and I know a boost hitting the front of an amp can distort and that is okay. My concern is if I already have a lot of gain, the boost will not make much difference in volume and cut.

I talked to some guys who say a compressor is what I want since this will give me some added level and by the very nature of the compression, should make it stand above to cut through. It should also help smooth out some tones when I need it.

I love Jacques pedals so I am thiking of the jacques fat burner pedal if not a modded (Monte Allums) Boss CS-3.

Thanks!
    -Rich

2. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

the compressor will change the nature of the gain clipping, which will smooth out and fatten your tone, but it might not make it cut through the mix. i would suggest either the katana (which i love) or a treble booster (like the analogman or the TMB) to just push the signal and than just let the tubes saturate it to thickness.

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks, I am afriad the Katana will sound so good, I'll want it on all the time. LOL!

Seriously, I thought a compressor, byt the nature of boosting the lowest signal and reducing the higher - should make a louder result? I hear guys say they use a compressor to boost leads although I emailed Keeley and they did not recommend.

I feel like I need the leads thickened and smoothed out at times. You think the Kata is still better than a compressor?

I already have high gain, so I was afriad the boost would not be heard.

4. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I use an RC Booster as my last gain pedal to make my leads stand out. With the EQ section, you can really dial in a tone that'll work for you.

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

What amp? If it's about cutting thru a mix, boosting mid frequencies will work every time. The tube screamer type pedals exell at this. You can go the inexpensive route with a TS9 or there are about a million TS derivitives that all have unique voicings.

If your already running with alot of gain you may not get much of an actual boost in DB's but the mid bump will certainly make the leads jump out more and the added gain will smooth things out.

6. neil99

neil99 Member

RC boost works well, also the Lowly GE-7 maybe modded gives you more EQ flexibility. I have a Keeley comp that thickens things quite a bit, but takes away some of the high end in my setup anyway.

7. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

It is an Egnater MOD 50 and I find I like my leads a little thicker and smoother at times.....and sometimes I need to kick in a lead form the same channel even when I already have the gain up high. TS9? Comp? Boost? Confused...

Thanks!

9. drod2045

drod2045 Member

Katana Katana Katana plus a Barber Tone press

You can use a Tone press as a clean boost also

10. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I boost my signal in so many ways.

SD1, Fuzzface, Clean Boost(ala SHO), volume knob

11. mprvise

mprvise Member

Of those I've tried I think the RC Booster for sure, and possibly the Sex Drive would be good choices.

12. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

I use the Tone Press for exactly that: bit of boost, tad os sustain with some added fatness and smoothness. Wonderful pedal.

13. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I really am in love with the Gaspedals Carb for that.
    Less transistory than the RC, less high treble than I've heard the Sex Drive
    has, no added compression, no TS hump.

Clean yet effervescent its been described as, maybe slightly steely w/o harsh, fat with some air (not like a Klon)
    As a low gainer boost I can count on it in a gig to never be excessive, sit in the mix.
    Just right with an EL84 amp and a telecaster- and a good pusher for dirt afterwards.

14. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I'll stand by my TS type suggestion. Mids are a guitars sweet spot frequencies. Turning them up will make you cut thru a mix better. Turn them down and you'll dissapear. With your gain high you won't get much of a boost from a comp or a clean boost, only more gain. Altering the mid freqencies up will give you cut and a percieved volume boost.

I run a JCM 800 and often have the gain up pretty high. I use a modded SD-1, which is a TS type that boosts mids. I run the gain low and the level high for a solo boost if needed.

Just to note if your not aware, many of the boutique OD's people rave about are Ibanez TS9/TS808 clones, or clones with variations. I suggest a TS9 only because they can be had on the cheap.

But you are correct in thinking if your gain is near maxed out, you will only get more gain from a comp or clean boost. They will only work boosting volumes if your preamp has room for it. Gotta tweek those mids! For that matter, an EQ pedal with the mids up will give a percieved volume boost. Hope that helps.

15. dosmun

dosmun Member

If you want a volume boost it will need to go in the loop if you are getting your distortion from the amp.

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Maxon CP101 Compressor ...
    will smooth out the top end without squishing the signal & give you a great deal of clean boost ...
    Help cuts through a loud with DB's to spare ...

17. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

if your amp is near it's limit on headroom (using lots of amp gain) you may have to approach this differently. have you tried boosting your amp volume for solos and then using a graphic eq or booster pedal to cut your volume a little for your rhythm sound? then you simply turn off your booster for your lead sound. if your amp has headroom available for a boost in front of it then the byoc tribooster, graphic eq or diamond pedals j-drive works well for this.

18. eru

eru Member

I'm with him. I recently got a TS9 for this and it works rather well. I don't like the bass cut when playing alone, but it seems like it'd sit better in a mix.

BUT, TS9s will add a bit more distortion even with the gain all the way down. I like this as I run my amp right on the edge of breakup and it adds something cool, but if you're not looking for that, it might not be what you want. It does work better, imo, than the EQs I've tried, but I can't find a parametric EQ...

Still, a decent first step, since they're under $100 at GC with a 30 day money back return policy as long as you don't damage/mod it, and if it works, it works.

I'm about to get one of the MXR/CAE boosters for the same thing w/o the gain boost, I think.

19. papersoul

papersoul Member

Katana or the Keeley compressor? Why that and the Barber? The Barber sounds nice and only $149 new!?

I heard the Monte Allums TS-9 mod is sweet and I also love Jacques pedals so their compressor or fuse blower, overtube pedals look nice.

Rob2001,

With the Egnater MOd 50, I can dial it in pretty darn thick, sustainy, fat and smooth. One problem I have is the shared EQ so I set most things up for rhythm. I set one channel with higher volume of leads but I want the mids cranked more and the bass and treble cut a bit for leads. I do use a lot of gain at times....so hopefully the TS-9 could cut through. I could get a Monte Allums modded TS-9. He did say it has a natural mid hump or boost.

Another thing is with some modules like the SL2 (Marshall mod). One channel is JCM 800 and the other channel is modded Marshall. I want to be able to use both channels for rhythm and then kick in a pedal for any leads I need.

I know how I like my leads and I used to use a Tube Screamer so I miss it. Keep in mind, this would be in front of the amp. I keep it simple, and do not want huge cables runs to the loop.

Makes sense for me to try it.

* On a side note, where should I keep a noise supressor? In front of the amp, correct?

20. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Guitar?
    LP or similar.
    Or, at least, humbuckers.
    Much easier to get the tone right if you start at the source.